Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Comparison: Safale US-05 vs. Fermatrix FX-150 | xBmt Results!  (Read 3086 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Yeast is lauded by brewers not only because it turns wort into beer, but for the individual and unique character particular strains impart. In this xBmt, the popular Chico yeast strain was compared to a relatively new version of Conan produced by a local lab, Fermatrix. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/02/us05vsfx125/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast Comparison: Safale US-05 vs. Fermatrix FX-150 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:02:30 am »
Dude....you mash hopped..... :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:22:51 am »
Correction: Ray Found mash hopped.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:31 am »
Marshall, if you are serious about being able to evaluate different yeast characteristics, you and your experimenters need to stop dry hopping everything.  High hopping rates and dry hopping can mask yeast metabolic byproducts.   

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:25 am »
Marshall, if you are serious about being able to evaluate different yeast characteristics, you and your experimenters need to stop dry hopping everything.  High hopping rates and dry hopping can mask yeast metabolic byproducts.

I hear you, Mark, and actually don't tend to dry hop very often myself, as I prefer pretty typical lager styles. That said, given the more practical nature of our xBmts, yeasts known for being used in highly hopped styles seem to warrant dry hopping in the xBmt. What's funny, and I'm sure Denny has experienced this a ton, is had Ray not dry hopped, we'd be getting suggestions that we should have. Just the nature of experimentation, I suppose.

I love what you're doing over at ExperimentalBrew.com, so great!!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:40 am »
I feel this xBmt misses the mark. I just don't see the value as an xBmt to evaluate two different strains. I see the value of comparing two or more sources of the same strain, but what is the point of comparing two different yeasts in this manner?

I also agree with Mark that 5oz of whirlpool with 4oz of dry hops per 5 gallons was overkill for a yeast sensory evaluation.

In the two instances I have used "Conan" I liked the batch that fermented at 70° much better.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 10:53:59 am »
I feel this xBmt misses the mark. I just don't see the value as an xBmt to evaluate two different strains. I see the value of comparing two or more sources of the same strain, but what is the point of comparing two different yeasts in this manner?

I also agree with Mark that 5oz of whirlpool with 4oz of dry hops per 5 gallons was overkill for a yeast sensory evaluation.

In the two instances I have used "Conan" I liked the batch that fermented at 70° much better.

Surprisingly, these types of xBmts are very commonly requested. Personally, I'm with you, I don't find them all that interesting. We're actually going to be moving away from these more simple yeast comparisons shortly, once we get through the few that are "in the chamber," so to speak, focusing our energy on process variables that are more difficult (or less appealing) for most homebrewers to test out themselves.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:37 am »

Thanks!  I should have known that Marshall wouldn't fall for that!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:36:40 am »

Surprisingly, these types of xBmts are very commonly requested. Personally, I'm with you, I don't find them all that interesting. We're actually going to be moving away from these more simple yeast comparisons shortly, once we get through the few that are "in the chamber," so to speak, focusing our energy on process variables that are more difficult (or less appealing) for most homebrewers to test out themselves.

Good stuff Marshal

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:38:38 am »

Hahahaha. Either would Ray! The only reason he did it was because he had to use the Saaz as a condition of the competition, hence he mash hopped in order to ensure no carryover in flavor.

My bias has been revealed... I've yet to test this out for myself.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:31 am »

Considering the rules of the Competition, that's actually not a bad way to have used the hops.  They're technically a part of the recipe, but contributed very little character to the finished product, I'm sure.

Offline Stevie

Yeast Comparison: Safale US-05 vs. Fermatrix FX-150 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:57 am »
I don't know if mash hops are noticeable in the final product, but they do smell good
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:47:39 am by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 11:46:14 am »
I don't know if mash hops are noticeable in the final product, but they do small good

Not noticeable to me. A complete waste of hops. A good strategy for that comp, though.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 11:56:33 am »

Considering the rules of the Competition, that's actually not a bad way to have used the hops.  They're technically a part of the recipe, but contributed very little character to the finished product, I'm sure.

Yep, I didn't realize that was part of the rules.  Kinda sneaky, but at least he kept to the guidelines.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 11:59:49 am »
I don't know if mash hops are noticeable in the final product, but they do small good

Not noticeable to me. A complete waste of hops. A good strategy for that comp, though.

I've given them 3 trials and I agree with you.  A friend used them exclusively in a batch that calculated to 135ish IBU.  When analyzed the beer was more like 25, which to me says thay don't make a significant contribution to bittering either.

www.dennybrew.com