Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 13184 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 03:36:12 am »
I just topped up my pellet supply. 1# each of cascade, centennial, 1/2# each of Target, Challenger, Norther Brewer, US Magnum, German Magnum,  Mandarina Bavaria. Added to the existing supply of cascade, centennial, EKG, Magnum, mittelfruh and tetnang. Oh and a few remaining ounces of simcoe

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 07:56:09 am »
My wife tolerates my addiction.  Luckily, she is a life scientist by training, so my yeast addiction flies under the radar.

Probably not that hard considering the size/cost differential between $100 of hops and $100 of interesting yeast.

Oh man. My freezer just died with about 10# of chicken that went rotten... same freezer that had all of my hops in it. Terrified to use any of them (but will do a test batch next week to see if they are ruined, despite vacuum sealing and mylar).

I guess I should place an order just in case!

I seem to recall Ted Hausotter saying on several occasions that the effects of temperature on hops was overstated.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:25 am »

I seem to recall Ted Hausotter saying on several occasions that the effects of temperature on hops was overstated.
I've heard Bamforth say that keeping hops cold is more important than keeping them sealed.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 08:11:53 am »
My fear is corpse aroma permeated the seal bags... They all got rinsed off, and I pitched the really old whole leaf.

A test batch without the Walking Dead aromas floating around will confirm. We think that freezer had been dead for about a week before we realized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 08:22:59 am »

I've heard Bamforth say that keeping hops cold is more important than keeping them sealed.

I don't doubt there is some truth in both. But I'd rather be OCD and keep them vacuum sealed and frozen. It would seem, between the two, that being vacuum sealed might be more critical than absolutely frozen. But I think the results we all have speak for themselves, though -  properly handled hops are good 2+ years later.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 08:24:23 am »
My fear is corpse aroma permeated the seal bags... They all got rinsed off, and I pitched the really old whole leaf.

A test batch without the Walking Dead aromas floating around will confirm. We think that freezer had been dead for about a week before we realized.

That sucks, Matt. I'd probably share your concern, too.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 08:42:01 am »
Probably not that hard considering the size/cost differential between $100 of hops and $100 of interesting yeast.

One hundred dollars does not go that far when purchasing interesting yeast.   A yeast culture on slant will set one back at least $100.00.  The Siebel adventure set me back over $350.00.  The cultures were only $140.00 each, but shipping and a surprise bill that I received from DHL a couple of weeks later for handing the border crossing from Lallemand's facility in Montreal added over $70.00 to the total cost.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 09:13:11 am »
So let's see if I can work the math out in my head. I was already sitting on about 8# of random hops, some full pounds, and just ordered in 6# from YVH and am awaiting 2# from Label Peelers, putting me at 16# roughly on hand. I brew about 12-14 batches per year, using between 2-16oz per batch. I have enough hops to last, wait, I better not even think about this. Thank you for your support
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:29 am »
So let's see if I can work the math out in my head. I was already sitting on about 8# of random hops, some full pounds, and just ordered in 6# from YVH and am awaiting 2# from Label Peelers, putting me at 16# roughly on hand. I brew about 12-14 batches per year, using between 2-16oz per batch. I have enough hops to last, wait, I better not even think about this. Thank you for your support
I'm in the same boat, but probably in the low 20's in poundage. My problem is now I have hops that are getting on in age and I'd rather just use the newer hops. I may have to *gasp* just throw a bunch out to make room. Such a damn shame - there are starving children in Africa with no hops at all and here I am just throwing them away...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 10:30:02 am »
I do not know how many people on the forum are on the Hops Direct (HD) mailing list, but I believe that HD may have my ticket.  They send out a sale e-mail message, and I am first in line to purchase a couple of pounds of hops.  I have purchased 14 pounds of hops since the spring.  There is no way on God's green earth that I am ever going to use all of these hops.  I use two to three ounces of hops per batch. I end up giving away pounds of hops just to make room for more hops. It is an addiction. :)

A few years back, I tossed 10-15 lb. of very old hops.  That kinda cured me of over ordering...or at least made me cut back some!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 11:31:27 am »
I was already sitting on about 8# of random hops

Yeah, I didn't count my smaller amounts (the new ones I haven't tested out yet) in my total. That's probably another 4+ lbs.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 11:46:51 am »
A few years back, I tossed 10-15 lb. of very old hops.  That kinda cured me of over ordering...or at least made me cut back some!

I will more than likely end up giving a portion of each pound away to other brewers.    I gave away a sealed one pound mylar bag of whole Tettnanger not long ago.  Purchasing directly from the West Coast in multi-pound lots to save on shipping brings the per ounce price down to the point where I can be generous with other brewers.  I have yet to meet a brewer who will not take free hops as long as they are still in good shape.  I wish that Hops Direct would sell half pound packages.  Yakima Valley sells half pound packages, but I have received less than stellar hops from them in the past.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 01:17:06 pm »

I will more than likely end up giving a portion of each pound away to other brewers.    I gave away a sealed one pound mylar bag of whole Tettnanger not long ago.  Purchasing directly from the West Coast in multi-pound lots to save on shipping brings the per ounce price down to the point where I can be generous with other brewers.  I have yet to meet a brewer who will not take free hops as long as they are still in good shape.  I wish that Hops Direct would sell half pound packages.  Yakima Valley sells half pound packages, but I have received less than stellar hops from them in the past.
I'm a fan of the 4oz packages that Farmhouse sells. It's just the right size so that I still have enough left over to brew with again after I brew a test batch. I think it also splits the difference between an ounce or two and a full pound quite nicely.

While I have been happy with the vast majority of the hops I have gotten from YVH, I have had a couple of batches of whole-cone hops that were lackluster - lots of loose bractioles, less intact cones, and not as much aroma. In comparison, the recent sample of X-17 that I got from the grower was obviously cut fresh off the bale - very sticky, big intact cones, and aroma rivalling most pellet hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »

I'm a fan of the 4oz packages that Farmhouse sells. It's just the right size so that I still have enough left over to brew with again after I brew a test batch. I think it also splits the difference between an ounce or two and a full pound quite nicely.

While I have been happy with the vast majority of the hops I have gotten from YVH, I have had a couple of batches of whole-cone hops that were lackluster - lots of loose bractioles, less intact cones, and not as much aroma. In comparison, the recent sample of X-17 that I got from the grower was obviously cut fresh off the bale - very sticky, big intact cones, and aroma rivalling most pellet hops.

Being only a pellet brewer now, I've had nothing but good luck with YVH pellets.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 09:20:22 am »

Check out Hop Heaven.  They do 1/2 lb., have the best quality hops I've ever used and the prices are reasonable.  I pretty much don't buy hops anywhere else these days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell