Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rubbing Alcohol Off Flavor  (Read 10090 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Rubbing Alcohol Off Flavor
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:24 pm »
Would you say that it is more of an acetone note, like nail polish remover?  Even if its a subtle one then that could most definitely be a sign of an infection.

I just purchased all new plastic gear (auto-siphon, wine thief, transfer tubing, etc) in the past month.  I brew quite often and try to purchase these new every year to reduce any chance of transferring an infection.  I also ONLY boil my stone (15-20min) prior to aerating, then boil again before storing it.

Yeah it could very well be more of a nail polish remover type thing...I think they are very similar. Acetone was mentioned earlier in the thread and it could very well be that. It would have to my transfer tubing or my oxygen stone. Those 2 items are the common demoninators in the 3 batches. Otherwise 2 where partial mashes 1 all grain. 3 different fermenters 2 different yeast and different temps. But all 3 where teansfered via tubing from kettle to fermenter from a ball valve and then hit with oure o2 with the oxygen stone. Thinking back and not boiling the stone that is probably the culprit after all these batches.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Rubbing Alcohol Off Flavor
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »
The only time ive gotten fusels was a high gravity fermented at room temp no o2 just splash aerated.

And if you were fermenting at room temps then (especially with a high gravity beer) you most assuredly were fermenting at temperatures well above that, hence the nasty fusels.  Did they ever age out at all?  In my experience, they rarely do, at least enough for me to enjoy the beer.
No, that one got dumped. It was a long time ago and I didn't know what I was doing.