Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Winter Wyeast PC Strains  (Read 10023 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Winter Wyeast PC Strains
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »
Special (and hopefully Best) Bitter is scheduled for tomorrow - YAY!  ;D

Switched up the recipe and pitching based directly on SC's recommend that narcout linked to. It'll work out this way:
Bru'N Profile: Amber Dry, 5.4 Mash pH, 5.5 Sparge pH
1.048 OG / ~37 IBU tinseth / ~8.5 SRM
91% ESB Malt
3% Double-roast crystal
6% Homemade Invert #2
Fuggles bittering (2/3 ibus)
EKG 15min/2min (1/3 ibus)
...and a single, lowly drop of 1768 yeast  :o (~60B cells)

I brewed a very similar recipe at the end of August last year with freshly dried, homegrown Golding hops. That recipe was double the invert, switch up the crystal for wheat, and 1187 instead of 1768. It was probably the best British-style beer I've brewed to date (and I attributed some of that to the freshly dried Golding hops, which I'm out of). Faults were too light in color and just a smidge more bittering was needed. I'm hoping this one blows that one away.

Looks good. Keep us posted on how fermentation goes with this one. Curious to see how close to 1968 it is.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 07:34:36 pm »
Looks good. Keep us posted on how fermentation goes with this one. Curious to see how close to 1968 it is.

Will do. I brewed it up this morning and plan on fermenting at 67-68F for the first 48 hours and then bringing it up to 71-72F to finish up the few remaining days. Crash cool for 4-5 days, keg, fine, carb, serve. I'm hoping for a relatively quick turnaround on this one (two weeks until serving). Cheers!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 07:53:46 am »
It's been fined and is carbing now. The sample pulled from the fermenter was a tad underwhelming based on my "hopes and aspirations". The beer itself (a special bitter) tastes quite good and falls in line with what I normally produce; I was just hoping for a strong British punch from the yeast (fruit, lollipop, and/or some British yeast character I'd never experienced). The characterizations described by wyeast are pretty accurate (light fruit esters, very clean), no surprise there. The beer was heavily underpitched (~60B cells into 5.25G @ 1.050); had a decent lag phase of ~15 hours; and fermented warm (68-72F). I tried my best to get the most I could from the yeast and it still is pretty darn clean. As for it's comparison to 1968, it's not as estery/fruity, cleaner ferment. We'll see how it shapes up with some carbonation and a few more days of age.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:00:17 am »
I know Mark was always saying that some yeast come into their own only after being repitched, it'd be interesting to see if doing so makes it "wake up" compared to the 1968.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:48 am »
Well I just tapped my ESB fermented with wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire...it is bad ass, dry hopping it in keg with EKG right now
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 08:04:35 am »
Well I just tapped my ESB fermented with wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire...it is bad ass, dry hopping it in keg with EKG right now

Yeah, I love that strain. Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:15 am »

Yeah, I love that strain. Good stuff.

Will definitely be my go to ESB strain

I can't wait till 5 o'clock today to grab a pint
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:31 am »
I know Mark was always saying that some yeast come into their own only after being repitched, it'd be interesting to see if doing so makes it "wake up" compared to the 1968.

Hopefully that's the case because it's getting repitched today into an amber ale :D

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:08 am »
The beer was heavily underpitched (~60B cells into 5.25G @ 1.050); had a decent lag phase of ~15 hours; and fermented warm (68-72F).

Any issues with attenuation? 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 04:35:45 pm »
The beer was heavily underpitched (~60B cells into 5.25G @ 1.050); had a decent lag phase of ~15 hours; and fermented warm (68-72F).

Any issues with attenuation?

No issues with attenuation that surprises me, and certainly not on the underattenuation side. It finished at 1.011 for ~77%AA with a 155F SI mash, but that AA is pushed up several percent due to the 8oz invert I used in the recipe. I was aiming for 1.012 so 11 is good with me.

The sample tasted good; it's an easy drinker for sure. I was just hoping for something.... magical :D

I may need to get myself in on the Klassic Ale vault buy now just to have a basis for comparison of two (supposedly) similar strains.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 11:31:08 am »
Updated 3/1/16:

Notes on Wyeast 1768-PC:

Best Bitter. 1st generation. Keg Notes: Nothing characteristic enough to write home about. The malt character is fairly noticeable and comes across as bready malt with a splash of biscuit. The hops are not emphasized but are still present as a secondary character. The finish is dry and clean. It's a good beer but the yeast didn't get where I was hoping it would. Pitched scary-low at ~60B cells for 5.25 gallons of 1.050 OG wort. Fermented warm (see my post below). High attenuation at 77% with 155F mash temp for 60min; used 8 oz invert #2.

Amber Ale. 2nd generation. Racking sample notes. Again, yeast character is minor and fairly clean. Caramel malts really shine through in the aroma, which they should based on percentage used (17%). Centennial and Cascade hop aroma is present and noticeable, but not overwhelming (no dry hops used). The finish is dry and bitter (I expected plenty bitter but not dry; 0.9 bu/gu). Pitched regular ~200ml thick yeastcake for 5.25G of 1.064 OG wort (assumed 200-300B cells).  Fermented upper-60s for bulk of fermentation (see post below). Very high attenuation at 83% (thus the dry finish) with mash at 152F for 60min with 17% crystal/cara malts and no simple sugars. UPDATE: Keg Notes: After some fining, clearing, and carbonation, the bitterness and dryness subsided a bit which helped it balance out more (it's still a bitter beer, as intended). There is also a light amount of sweetness which adds a nice touch to the overall character of the beer. Very "american" beer even though it's a british yeast.

Amber/Scottish Ale: Odell 90 Shilling-like beer. Racking sample notes: Yeast character is fairly well hidden with maybe just a hint of fruitiness that comes through, but pretty neutral overall. The malt character of this beer is quite aromatic. The perle late addition hops are very background but not too many were used so it's to be expected. Nice balanced finish that leans just on the side of malty. Pitched ~200ml thick 2nd generation yeastcake (fairly heavy pitch). Fermented my standard ale profile of 64 for 3days, 66 for 3days, and then let it finish another 4 days at lower 60s. Again, high attenuation (78%) with a 155F mash for 60min and that's with 13% crystal/cara and 1% roast. I was aiming for a fairly high finish gravity of 1.019 but ended up at 1.013 - no matter because it tastes great where it landed.

Blonde Ale: Racking sample notes: Yeast character is fairly well hidden with maybe just a hint of fruitiness that comes through, but pretty neutral overall. Crystal hop late addition hops are apparent for a low hopped beer (2.3oz for 5 gallons total). Balanced finish that has a slight sweetness retained from the malt but the hops are most prominent. I was testing a small batch US 2row base malt from Idaho and hoping to find a style where the malt character could be present.  While I think this beer serves that purpose, the malt character retained is so subtle I cannot pick much out beyond what I might expect from the specialty malts used (see below).  Pitched ~200ml thick 3nd generation yeastcake (fairly heavy pitch). Fermented my standard ale profile of 64 for 3days, 66 for 3days, and then let it finish another 4 days at lower 60s. Finally achieved reasonable attenuation (73.5%) with a 156F mash for 40min (94% base, 6% cara20 and honey malt). I was aiming for a moderately high finish gravity of 1.012ish and ended up at 1.013. It took a hot mash for a short time to finally get this yeast into the lower 70s for attenuation.

So far... It's a fine (clean) yeast that seems to help emphasize malt character, but the yeast esters themselves are not too characterful. I can't imagine it going from clean to un-americanly British over a couple generations, but we'll see if it finds some traction on it's third generation (I'm not holding my breath though :D). I guess Wyeast's description of this strain is fairly accurate in terms of character (surprise, huh? :D).  191 more orders until Klassic Ale ships....sigh.

3/1/16: Still consider this an excellent alternative for brewing ester-neutral beers; it seems to be a great fit for american style ales (kind of like 1272).  It retains some malt and also hops; it a high attenuator; mostly neutral with subtle fruity hints; poor flocculator.  Overall a good yeast but not for British-style beers, IMHO. I'll post my keg notes on the amber/scottish and blonde ales once they get served.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:54:47 pm by stpug »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
Cool.  Thanks for posting.

I've got two packs of 1768 waiting to go.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:06 am »
Another update on 1768:

Best Bitter. 1st generation. Nothing characteristic enough to write home about. The malt character is fairly noticeable and comes across as bready malt with a splash of biscuit. The hops are not emphasized but are still present as a secondary character. The finish is dry and clean. It's a good beer but the yeast didn't get where I was hoping it would. Pitched scary-low at ~60B cells for 5.25 gallons of 1.050 OG wort. High attenuation at 77% with 155F mash temp for 60min; used 8 oz invert #2.

Amber Ale. 2nd generation. Racking sample notes. Again, yeast character is minor and fairly clean. Caramel malts really shine through in the aroma, which they should based on percentage used (17%). Centennial and Cascade hop aroma is present and noticeable, but not overwhelming (no dry hops used). The finish is dry and bitter (I expected plenty bitter but not dry; 0.9 bu/gu). Pitched regular ~200ml thick yeastcake for 5.25G of 1.064 OG wort (assumed 200-300B cells).  Very high attenuation at 83% (thus the dry finish) with mash at 152F for 60min with 17% crystal/cara malts and no simple sugars.

I'll be pitching again for 3rd generation in about a week. This time I'm mashing hot (156F) for shorter time (40min) and hoping for ~75% attenuation. It'll be an american blonde with US noble-like hops so not much to get in the way of the yeast, and hopefully the subtle malt character will be retained.

So far... It's a fine (clean) yeast that seems to help emphasize malt character, but the yeast esters themselves are not too characterful. I can't imagine it going from clean to un-americanly British over a couple generations, but we'll see if it finds some traction on it's third generation (I'm not holding my breath though :D). I guess Wyeast's description of this strain is fairly accurate in terms of character (surprise, huh? :D).  191 more orders until Klassic Ale ships....sigh.

Edit: I should mention that I have another amber/scottish ale hybrid beer (Odell 90 Shilling-like beer) that used this yeast as well (2nd gen pitch). It has 13% crystal and 1% chocolate with continental hop character, but I mashed a bit higher at 155F, so we'll see how it pans out in terms of FG. I'll post sample notes as well as tasting notes when the time comes.
Do you know what your fermentation temperature was for these batches.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:51 am »

Yeah I do (I forgot to put that in the descriptions above):

Best Bitter: Pitched 66F and raised to 70F with fermwrap within few hours, fermented 70-72F for 7 days.
Amber Ale: Pitch 64F and let it freerise for 4 days (it got up to 69F), then 72F to finish up
Amber Scottish: 64F for 3 days, then ~62F for 4 days

Blonde ale got delayed until this coming week

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:08 am »

Yeah I do (I forgot to put that in the descriptions above):

Best Bitter: Pitched 66F and raised to 70F with fermwrap within few hours, fermented 70-72F for 7 days.

You would think you would be able to coax some pretty good character out of the yeast with that fermentation schedule.