Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt of the Month  (Read 1954 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Malt of the Month
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:57:26 am »
My malt share from Valley malt will be in soon, lots of cool stuff to play with. Ideas welcome:
It's 2016. Ready to brew?

Happy New Year to all of you. In addition to a 50 lb sack of our Pale Ale Malt. (Pilsner available upon request). We have been thinking, planning, and plotting which of our specialty malts to share for this upcoming MotM Pick-up. Here is what we decided:

2 lbs Cherrywood Smoked Malt  Intensely smoked 2-row malt with noticeable cherrywood aroma and flavor.

2 lbs Roasted Barley  400-600 SRM. Our darkest offering, much like a light roasted coffee.  Nutty and creamy but still sharp and acidic.

2 lbs Roasted Oats  120-150 SRM. The color is low but the flavor is a bittersweet chocolate flavor (more cookie than brownie).

2 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt  100-130 SRM Brownie like flavor with nutty cocoa notes and a smooth finish. 

3 lbs Biscuit Malt 20-30 SRM lightest roast. Light cracker flavor with toasted sesame. Pleasantly sweet.

4 lbs AC Hazlet Rye- A new variety of Rye grown organically in Benedicta, ME. Plump and full of bready character.

We could not help ourselves from sharing some of experimental Acidulated Brumalt. Everyone will also receive 2 lbs of this naturally Acidulated, slightly stewed, malt.

All malts will be available for pick up at both the Malthouse and Modern Homebrew shops on Tuesday January 13th.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Malt of the Month
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:57 am »
A cherrywood smoked porter would be nice.

How often do those shares happen? I was hoping to develop a relationship with a more local maltster here in VT but so far I haven't been blown away. Maybe MA is close enough. I could drive there and back in a day if need be.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:02 am »
Those roasted oats sound really nice. An oatmeal stout would be the obvious choice, but you could probably make a really nice brown ale with it. I did an Oatmeal Vanilla Brown Ale a couple of years ago that I really enjoyed. I'm just wondering how much roast character they have if they're only 120-150 SRM. The lightest roasted malt I've seen is Pale Chocolate in the 200-250 SRM range, so the oats are quite a bit lighter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:24 am »
Yeah, the roasted oats sound great in black and brown beers. The cherry smoked porter sounds good, too. Chocolate wheat could be great in dubbel, dunkelweizen and other dark styles, too.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:45:20 am »
A cherrywood smoked porter would be nice.

How often do those shares happen? I was hoping to develop a relationship with a more local maltster here in VT but so far I haven't been blown away. Maybe MA is close enough. I could drive there and back in a day if need be.
You pay in the spring and pick up twice/year. You get 100# base malt (pale is default but you can get pilsner, I'm going to choose pilsner as I have a fair amount of pale left) and 30# of specialty malts total between the two pick ups. I'm really happy with the variety and quantity. Later this spring you can get in on it, this past year the pick ups were June and now this one in January.
If you are familiar with the area (Amherst/Northampton) you know its a great area to go for a day trip with lots of shops, restaurants, bars, a couple brew pubs, museums etc. so I think it would be worth it for you.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:52:02 am »
Those roasted oats sound really nice. An oatmeal stout would be the obvious choice, but you could probably make a really nice brown ale with it. I did an Oatmeal Vanilla Brown Ale a couple of years ago that I really enjoyed. I'm just wondering how much roast character they have if they're only 120-150 SRM. The lightest roasted malt I've seen is Pale Chocolate in the 200-250 SRM range, so the oats are quite a bit lighter.
I don't think I would use the oatmeal in a stout because of the relatively low srm: I would need to add other roasted malts and wouldn't really experience the flavor of the oats. Maybe a Brown Ale with quite a bit of the oatmeal in it. Or maybe a bitter with a small to moderate amount, the roast wouldn't be to style but could be interesting and presumably subtle.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:54:21 am »
I don't think I would use the oatmeal in a stout because of the relatively low srm: I would need to add other roasted malts and wouldn't really experience the flavor of the oats. Maybe a Brown Ale with quite a bit of the oatmeal in it. Or maybe a bitter with a small to moderate amount, the roast wouldn't be to style but could be interesting and presumably subtle.

You could use 9 or 10% of the Roasted Oats in a stout and then some Carafa III to adjust color. That would give you a pretty good idea.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:01:48 pm »

You could use 9 or 10% of the Roasted Oats in a stout and then some Carafa III to adjust color. That would give you a pretty good idea.
That does sound damn tasty. They send such interesting specialty malts that I have a blast even just chewing them to get a sense of their taste. I'll be sure to taste those oats straight away.
Remember the rye porter I posted with the fermented danko rye malt? I'm drinking that now and its really tasty.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »

That does sound damn tasty. They send such interesting specialty malts that I have a blast even just chewing them to get a sense of their taste. I'll be sure to taste those oats straight away.
Remember the rye porter I posted with the fermented danko rye malt? I'm drinking that now and its really tasty.

That's awesome. That malting company has some really cool looking products. I'd like to see a local operation like that start up here.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »

That's awesome. That malting company has some really cool looking products. I'd like to see a local operation like that start up here.
I hope this takes off and lots of local maltsters pop up.
One thing that is a challenge though is estimating what these unknown specialty malts will do to your OG and FG.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:08 pm »
That Rye Malt sounds interesting.
Dan Chisholm