Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to look for in MA&NH  (Read 3340 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
What to look for in MA&NH
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:01 am »
I have a friend visiting Maine and New Hampshire for work. He wants to bring me some beer. What suggestions do you have for what is available there that I cant get in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:30:23 am by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: What to look for in MA&NH
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:46:28 am »
I have a friend visiting Maine and New Hampshire for work. He wants to bring me some beer. What suggestions do you have for what is available there that I cant get in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky?
A couple we get in Mass that you may not get out there are Peak Organic and Baxter, both from Maine. We just recently started getting Baxter and I had their Pamola Extra Pale Ale and liked it. I like every Peak Organic I have tried. Spencer Abbey Ale might be available there, I know their recent holiday offering is Mass only. Also, the Maine Brewing Co. makes some nice beers, mostly pricey.
BTW MA= Massachusetts, Maine = ME
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:12 am »

Driving or flying?

In NH, Stoneface (Newington), Earth Eagle (Portsmouth), Deciduous (Newmarket), Kelsen's (Derry)

In Maine, Tributary(Kittery), Bissell Brothers & Foundation (Portland - across the street from allagash), Maine Beer (Freeport - think LL Bean), Marshall Wharf (Belfast but found in a lot of stores).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:01:27 am »
A couple we get in Mass that you may not get out there are Peak Organic and Baxter, both from Maine. We just recently started getting Baxter and I had their Pamola Extra Pale Ale and liked it. I like every Peak Organic I have tried. Spencer Abbey Ale might be available there, I know their recent holiday offering is Mass only. Also, the Maine Brewing Co. makes some nice beers, mostly pricey.
He did say MA, now that I double checked it, so Massachusetts and New Hampshire, thanks Pete. I never mail anything to either, so I learned something today(that I probably new in grade school, but have long since forgotten)
Also, thanks for the tips
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:15 am »

Driving or flying?

In NH, Stoneface (Newington), Earth Eagle (Portsmouth), Deciduous (Newmarket), Kelsen's (Derry)

In Maine, Tributary(Kittery), Bissell Brothers & Foundation (Portland - across the street from allagash), Maine Beer (Freeport - think LL Bean), Marshall Wharf (Belfast but found in a lot of stores).
I believe he will be driving for work, thanks for the suggestions. I am passing all of them on to him
Frank L.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:04 am »
If he's driving through CT, New England Brewing just release Imperial Stout Trooper and G-Bot (formerly Ghandi-bot) on Monday to several counties.  There's also Lawson's Sip of Sunshine around too...excellent beer!  In CT though, you need to ask the stores if they have it and it will be limited (4-pack of SOS, and 1 or 2 cans of G-Bot/IST).  Unfortunately, some store owners only save this stuff for their regular costumers (a dick move if you ask me).
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:32 am »
Not sure what you can get out your way, but Smuttynose and Moonlight Meadery from NH come to mind. If you can't get them out your way, I'd definitely search them out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:16:15 am »
He did say MA, now that I double checked it, so Massachusetts and New Hampshire, thanks Pete. I never mail anything to either, so I learned something today(that I probably new in grade school, but have long since forgotten)
If he's going to Boston see if he can score anything from Trillium (Not sure if they sell in stores, I have only had some bought directly from brewery by someone else), also Element, a small brewery in Western Mass that sells statewide. I particularly like Dark Element and Red Giant. And if in Mass he should definitely be able to get Spencer Abbey including their holiday ale (a DBSA). I also like a pilsner (can't think of it) from 2 Roads in CT. Jack's Abby in Framingham MA makes all lagers and I like their "Smoke and Dagger".

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:19:41 am »
If he's going to Boston see if he can score anything from Trillium (Not sure if they sell in stores, I have only had some bought directly from brewery by someone else), also Element, a small brewery in Western Mass that sells statewide. I particularly like Dark Element and Red Giant. And if in Mass he should definitely be able to get Spencer Abbey including their holiday ale (a DBSA). I also like a pilsner (can't think of it) from 2 Roads in CT. Jack's Abby in Framingham MA makes all lagers and I like their "Smoke and Dagger".
Ol'factory Pils from 2 roads, maybe? It's a dry-hopped pilsner in the style of Pivo Pils from FW, good stuff.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:42 am »
Thanks everyone! I think I have now overloaded him with your great suggestions. I will be seeing him next week and I will let you all know what he found for me/us to try out. Later I will post thoughts on whatever he managed to bring. thanks again
Frank L.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:48 pm »
Ol'factory Pils from 2 roads, maybe? It's a dry-hopped pilsner in the style of Pivo Pils from FW, good stuff.
Yep, that's it Eric.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »

That Two Roads brewery is impressive...and they have good food trucks outside.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline 69franx

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »
So far, so good. I guess he is there now and will be here next week hit the spoils of his travels. He says he has already picked up an ale from Spencer Abbey, something from Peak Organic, Baxter IPA, and Stoneface pale ale
Frank L.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:27 pm »
If it is not too late, then in addition to the brands already mentioned I'd recommend Gritty McDuffs--from Portland, Maine, but available in many places--and, in Western Massachusetts, Berkshire Brewing Company. I've never had a disappointing beer from either brewery.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 05:36:23 am »
If it is not too late, then in addition to the brands already mentioned I'd recommend Gritty McDuffs--from Portland, Maine, but available in many places--and, in Western Massachusetts, Berkshire Brewing Company. I've never had a disappointing beer from either brewery.
Berkshire has been around so long and is so ubiquitous that I forgot about them. I still see their holiday beer around and I thought it was great. While all their beers are solid I feel they do an especially good job with the draymans porter and coffeehouse porter.