Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Rye  (Read 1879 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Pale Rye
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:28:56 pm »
I got

8# Canada 2row
4# Rye Malt
1# Honey malt
1oz Centennial 7.6%
1oz Magnum 12.2%
1oz Willamette 7.5%
US-05

Opinions? Any extras? I was thinking of throwing some flaked oats in there to keep it from dropping below 1.010fg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Pale Rye
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Sounds very tasty, and similar to my own honey rye ale.  I add Munich and amber malt as well to mine but do whatever you think you'll like.  For suggestions, I would cut the honey malt in half and maybe replace with honey honey.  :)

Enjoy.  Oh, and uh, don't forget to add a pound of rice hulls.  You'll be glad you did.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
Yeah, a pound of honey malt seems a bit heavy handed. 

The rice hulls won't hurt, I don't find that I need them but that is all system dependent.  If it turns out that you needed them and you didn't have them it can make for a fair bit of headache.

I don't know that the oats would stop it from attenuating below 1.010.  The attenuation is more set by the enzymes that are in there and how they cut up the starches, wherever those may have come from.  Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I've never seen any special change in attenuation from them.

Sounds like it would be good.  What was the expected schedule on the hop additions?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »
Yeah, a pound of honey malt seems a bit heavy handed. 

The rice hulls won't hurt, I don't find that I need them but that is all system dependent.  If it turns out that you needed them and you didn't have them it can make for a fair bit of headache.

I don't know that the oats would stop it from attenuating below 1.010.  The attenuation is more set by the enzymes that are in there and how they cut up the starches, wherever those may have come from.  Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I've never seen any special change in attenuation from them.

Sounds like it would be good.  What was the expected schedule on the hop additions?

I am pitching on a slurry so it may over attenuate.  However it should be alright.  I was hoping to a have a smooth finishing ale.  Hoping the oats would add a softer easy drinking brew.  All in all its 26% rye with the oats, and I am BIAB, just need to get a really hot mash out.

I am thinking 40IBUs
31IBUs 60m Magnum
6IBUs 15m Willamette
9m to FO .1oz/m Centennial

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:54:33 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:46 pm »
That seems pretty solid. 
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 07:07:22 pm »
Thanks guys

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:21 am »
Ya know when you try to start a brew day and nothing seems to go smoothly, then suddenly everything comes to a crash landing and you need to run errands before you even get started.  Guess who didn't have propane, then gets back and the water that got treated leaked out on the ground cause I didn't check my pump fittings.  Lets go get more water, pull out my new BIAB bag, and I grabbed the wrong size.  4 gallon not 15 gallon, so waiting for the LHBS to open.  Oh snap, they are closed on Mondays.  Well, Monday morning brewday = failure.  Off to find some paint strainer bags...

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:57:59 am »

And off to the fermenter.

AHA Member