Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH Meter: Balancing cost and quality  (Read 8519 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: pH Meter: Balancing cost and quality
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 05:57:39 pm »
I think this is one of those subjects that just depends on the brewer. Kind of like the old Sears good-better-best thing. If you dont think you need a meter, then dont get one. I love mine, but it was a gift. One day I plan to upgrade and regift it. As to colorphast, I found them useless.  Probably wasnt using them right.

All in all, you can make great beer without a meter. But you dont know precisely what your ph is without one.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »
I know a guy who does historic brews and keeps it historic - no thermometer, hydrometer, and oh yes no pH meter. He makes beer. Historic beer, but it is beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 09:25:21 pm »
I have $12 meter. It told me that Brunwater does a good job estimating my mash ph. I don't have any more calibration solution so I have abandoned the meter. But, with that validation I feel I can just use Brunwater to tweak my intended ph and go from there. In other words, if I want a lower ph I just target a lower ph in Brunwater and trust the ph moved that direction. This of course is not a perfect system, but, I think it is good enough. At least for now.

PS. I think switching to RO water and Brunwater has definitely helped my beer. I am not sure I would get similar improvement from a $100+ worth of ph meter and calibration solution.
Yup, RO water and Brunwater is by far the most bang for the brewing buck.  Ph meter just confirms what Brunwater says.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:19 am »
I think this is one of those subjects that just depends on the brewer. Kind of like the old Sears good-better-best thing. If you dont think you need a meter, then dont get one. I love mine, but it was a gift. One day I plan to upgrade and regift it. As to colorphast, I found them useless.  Probably wasnt using them right.

All in all, you can make great beer without a meter. But you dont know precisely what your ph is without one.

Jim, I agree, and I think this is generally true throughout the home brewing process. Some things strongly affect the probability that you will make "good beer", like proper sanitation standards. Others will affect that probability less strongly, like using a yeast nutrient. Others may not have a lot of impact on the quality of your beer at all, but are an enjoyable part of the hobby, like knowing precise pH all through the process (once you use BrunWater to get you in the "high probability of good beer" area to begin with). There's stuff that you Have To Do, stuff you Ought To Do, and stuff that you Want To Do, and it's all part of the enjoyment of brewing.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:11 am »
Like I say: To hit a home run, you have to be in the ballpark. Doing some minimal water adjustments is going to get you much closer to ideal and having a tool that gets you most of the way there is very helpful. Unfortunately, we know all too well that these programs aren't perfect. But you will be closer to your objective with their use than without.

I am firmly in the camp that has to measure pH, but I'm doing it to find problems and improve the Bru'n Water program. However, the sentiment which espouses the use of a known water source and using a reliable program to get you in the ballpark could be good enough for most brewers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

RPIScotty

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 01:11:51 pm »
Like I say: To hit a home run, you have to be in the ballpark. Doing some minimal water adjustments is going to get you much closer to ideal and having a tool that gets you most of the way there is very helpful. Unfortunately, we know all too well that these programs aren't perfect. But you will be closer to your objective with their use than without.

I am firmly in the camp that has to measure pH, but I'm doing it to find problems and improve the Bru'n Water program. However, the sentiment which espouses the use of a known water source and using a reliable program to get you in the ballpark could be good enough for most brewers.

I think I may stick with strips until i'm ready to buy a good meter. Buy once and be done with it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:56 pm »
To be clear. I know my source, use a tried and true program, and with recipes that are new to me I test with a meter all the way through. The only way to accurately verify, and adjust.  On rebrews I only test final ph.