Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Yeast Starter Video  (Read 4368 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
AHA Yeast Starter Video
« on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »
Thoughts once you've seen it?

Boil, cool, no airation mentioned, bung and airlock it, stir plate... pitch. That's what I got anyway.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: AHA Yeast Starter Video
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:40 pm »
Did it ever reappear?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:44 am »
Not yet. Someone who knows better must have yanked it.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:28:50 am »
I have held my tongue long enough.

Mark is not some super genius micro biologist. He is certainly a smart guy that did perform a lot of research while honing his method, but then again so did Kai, JZ and Chris White.

I am amazed at how quick the sheep on this forum have gone from using stir plates to accepting his method to decrying all others as so inferior they should be mocked. This forum is starting to become a collection of elitist snobs.

Stir plates work for people as does Mark's method. I don't know which is better, but I still use both and my beers are good either way.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:42:52 am »
id be interested in the blind triangle of stir plate vs shaken and pitched high krausen. only difference I've seen is sometimes the lag time is less for high krausen pitched. as someone said in another post- we don't drink lag time-we drink beer.

both methods work- but is one better or worse than the other....haven't experienced that conclusion.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:53:57 am »
Unfortunately it's gone now, but the video showed boiling 150g of dme in 1000ml water with 1/4tsp nutrients. So 1.060 wort if I'm adding right. After 15 min boil, cover with foil and cool to 70F. Then pitch yeast and put a stopper with air lock on it. Stirplate for I forget how long. Then pitch the whole thing.

I was just curious what folks thought of that. I'll bet it would make beer. If my post enraged anyone so much that they had to resort to insults, that was not my point.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:09 am »
I have held my tongue long enough.

Mark is not some super genius micro biologist. He is certainly a smart guy that did perform a lot of research while honing his method, but then again so did Kai, JZ and Chris White.

I am amazed at how quick the sheep on this forum have gone from using stir plates to accepting his method to decrying all others as so inferior they should be mocked. This forum is starting to become a collection of elitist snobs.

Stir plates work for people as does Mark's method. I don't know which is better, but I still use both and my beers are good either way.

Dude..settle down.  I haven't seen anyone denouncing or mocking other methods.  I have seen people using Mark's method, like myself, report great results with it.  elitist snobs?  I'm not sure where that comes from.  In the end, its HOMEbrewing.  There are many roads to the same destination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:28:09 am »
Despite my best efforts I find it impossible to be a sheep and elitist snob at the same time.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

AHA Yeast Starter Video
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:18 am »
Maybe I took it too far, but I stand by my opinions.

Jim's posts read like a mock of the method. I will admit that this could be my bias, but maybe others read it the same way.

If somebody asks a question about a stirred starter, don't reply with the shaken not stirred method. Answer his/her questions and add the other method as a side note. Imagine if you were a new brewer and were told that the latest purchase was a waste, which is how it reads, when in fact it's still one of many viable methods.

In the past I cringed whenever I would read Denny's "try it for yourself" response. I would say to myself, "the guy is looking for a simple answer and you pull this Master Po 'grab the pebble from my hand' BS?" But now I'm an honest believe. People shouldn't take any of the posts here as gospel and should run their own tests to find what works.

I honestly do feel that there is a bit of a hive mentality here. Maybe it is because there is a core group that posts a large majority of the replies, but either way hive minds are bad for growth and innovation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:00:47 am by Steve in TX »

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:28 am »
My first starters were un stirred and randomly shaken when I remembered. Then I got a stir plate and did a couple batches that way. Then I tried and have been still using The James Bond method. All 3 methods did make beers I was happy with. Were they great, I'm not the one to answer that. In my short experience with home brewing, about 35 batches, I have rarely made the same batch twice,  and when I did, I followed almost exactly the same procedure as the first time. Did one way produce better beer for me? I really don't have that answer because my early brews had poor or more likely, no notes. For me going forward, the shaken not stirred method is fairly simple and easy, and I will continue to use it. I have an interested new Comer coming to brew with me, and we be be making 2 batches: 1 extract with rehydrated dry yeast and 1 AG batch with a shaken starter. He won't see that starter really until we are ready to pitch, but I will explain it to him as well as its benefits. In the end, if he wants my stir plate, I'll give him a great deal on it. Just my $0.02
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:47 am »
I think the feeling here is that even if you use a stirplate, what was (supposedly) shown in the video wasn't even the best approach to the stirplate method.

I prefer S. Cerevsiae's approach simply because it's easier. No stir bar to worry about dumping in the beer, which was something I was stupid enough to do regularly.

I think it's very possible for people to hear the proper scientific approach to doing things, then turn around and assume that that is the only way to do things. In reality, the best idea is to make that science work for you. It's like engineering, there's usually a perfect way to do things that ends up not being used due to cost or difficulty. Brewing is no different IMO.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:27:15 am »
Steve, in my mind the hive mentality and telling someone to experiment  for themselves are polar opposites. I've brewed long enough that I don't feel that I have to take anyone's advice out of some sort of peer pressure. I will try a technique from a brewer I have confidence in to see if I like it better or worse than what I was doing prior. I try hard not to tell someone what they need to do - I try to tell them what I do, then suggest to try it for themselves, to form their own opinion. To me, that runs counter to 'conform and do what we do'.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:36:50 am »

I think the feeling here is that even if you use a stirplate, what was (supposedly) shown in the video wasn't even the best approach to the stirplate method.

This is how I read it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
For lagers I still use a stirplate, crash and decant. Just can't bring myself to pitch 2.5 liters of starter into 19.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:11 am »
Heck, I don't even boil my starters...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer