Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging PSI Question  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Kegging PSI Question
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:56:38 am »

I wonder how beer bars deal w this? Surely they don't modify lines when a mild gets thrown on.
There are multiple possibilities, but I'd say it really depends on the bar. "High end" beer bars should be doing something to ensure a style is poured at its best.

I'd guess their pushing with a beer gas blend.  The one I go to has a machine to make the nitrogen and each tap is balanced individually.  It's a pretty hard core craft beer bar.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 10:00:34 am »
Haven't done a mild. I leave my kegerator at 55o, and vary the pressure based on what's on tap. I checked my notes, I've kept the pressure between 8 and 12 psi. (1.6-1.89 vols)

Yes, sometimes you don't get a decent head on the beer, but the way I see it that's akin to pouring from a beer engine that doesn't have a sparkler. Cracking the tap open gives that "sparkler" effect, and really changes the taste of the beer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline VinnyV1981

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 08:31:02 pm »
I keg around 20-25 give it a shake in the keg and recarb. I serve at 10 pounds. My temp is a little warm 38f I always get a thick hat that stays with the beer to the last drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homebrew... 0% Tax 100% Flavor

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 06:19:26 am »
if I want to get a keg to serving quickly, I will take my very chilled keg full of beer-usually around 34-35F and hook to co2 and set to 30psi. rock it for about 45-60 seconds on its side. then will let pressure off so that  I can set to whatever psi I need for beer style and temp...I use this to determine http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

this will get me a keg ready to serve in about 3 days without worry of over force carbonation.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 07:03:06 am »
How much residual co2 is likely in the OP's beer after fermentation? His target is 1.65 vols of co2 which is quite low.