Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering Times  (Read 4234 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Lagering Times
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »
Is there a general rule of thumb for how long to lager for?  I've seen it said that a pilsner is good after about 3 weeks while a marzen should go for 6-8 weeks.  Is that true and if so why?  How do you determine how long a particular lager should sit at lagering temps?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Lagering Times
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:13 pm »
One rule is to take the OG, subtract 1, and divide by 8.  So for a 1.048 OG Pils, you should lager for 6 weeks.  For a 1.080 doppelbock, 10 weeks. 

The really old rule of thumb would be a week for each degree Plato.  So divide the OG-1 by 4.  The Pils goes to 12 weeks and the Doppelbock goes to 20 weeks.

Kai may have some good input on this.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
I always go by taste since the condition of the yeast during fermentation and recipe is going to have a big effect on the answer in addition to the OG.  For example I had a dunkel that tasted great after 2 weeks, a Dortmunder that took 8 weeks, and a Bohemian Pilsner that took 5 weeks, all around the same OG.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »
I always go by taste since the condition of the yeast during fermentation and recipe is going to have a big effect on the answer in addition to the OG.  For example I had a dunkel that tasted great after 2 weeks, a Dortmunder that took 8 weeks, and a Bohemian Pilsner that took 5 weeks, all around the same OG.

+1

It varies...but the taste of the beer is the true test.

Edit: I like to lager for at least 4 weeks as a general rule, but the bottom line is the end product (taste).
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:57 am »
I agree with taste. In addition to that I look at clarity and attenuation. The latter may improve a little during cold conditioning. It also depends if I need the beer on tap or need to make space in the freezer. 4-6 weeks works well for most beers.

Kai

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:43:52 am »
I agree with taste. In addition to that I look at clarity and attenuation. The latter may improve a little during cold conditioning. It also depends if I need the beer on tap or need to make space in the freezer. 4-6 weeks works well for most beers.

Kai

+1

typically light lagers: pils, dort, helles, etc.  2-4 weeks, my recent helles was ready to roll in 10 days, but thats not my usual.
amber/dark lagers: dunkel, maerzen - 4weeks
bocks - 10+

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline sutorbrew

• 1st Kit
    • www.igotdrunk.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

Kai

+1

typically light lagers: pils, dort, helles, etc.  2-4 weeks, my recent helles was ready to roll in 10 days, but thats not my usual.
amber/dark lagers: dunkel, maerzen - 4weeks
bocks - 10+

I'm right with you guys on this one I guess the only thing I will add is that I have found even with identical beers (brewed a 10 gallon batch of pils splitting the wort between 2 carboys and doing one with Budvar and the other with Bavarian) you will find that one yeast might take longer to smooth out. I then used the cakes from both batches and washed them to remove the trub and break and did a 10 gallon batch of Doppelbock again splitting the yeasts each in their of carboy and again the Budvar smoothed out before Bavarian. The times seem to be right on to what I am seeing as well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 05:34:33 am »
I go by taste and clarity too.  I have found that the lighter beers (pils and helles) are usually ready after a couple of weeks.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 06:59:10 am »
Lots of good info as always.  Thanks guys.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:00:44 am »
Lots of good info as always.  Thanks guys.

+1  I'm getting ready to do my first full lager, so this is great information.  Thanks!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »
One other question:  After lagering should I allow the beer to sit and come up to room temp before bottling it or can I just take it out of the lagering freezer cold, bottle it, and let the beer come up to conditioning temp in the bottle?

Edit - I think this thread from the NB forum answers my question:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78950
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:52:40 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
Thanks for posting that, tygo.  That helps a lot.  I've been putting in the temperature the bottles will be at in my basement.  It's not a big difference, but it's enough.