Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA that emphasizes Citrus flavor/aroma  (Read 18453 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
Re: IPA that emphasizes Citrus flavor/aroma
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:19 am »
I'm on my way richardt.

Good point on the maltiness, just did a DIPA, so still looking for a good malt base, to offset the hyperhop rates.

4 oz for a 12G batch seems miniscule. My brother recommended a couple of oz of chocolate malt for the coloring. I'm gonna have to check which batches I've used melanoidens in, this has my interest peaked. I like it! Thanks...

I just checked what I had used Melanoidin on before, 4 oz on my IPA about to be kegged, and 1.5# on a parti-gyle DIPA (low SG) and Halloween Brew (Habanero Pale Ale), will update after I taste.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:03:39 am »
Obviously it is all personal preference but when I make APAs or (American) IPAs I try to down play the malt character. There are a few recipes I have that take exception to thins, but as a general rule malt complexity is not what I am going for in an IPA. I want the beer to be quaffable and when you have a malty backbone going on it tends to clash with the hops and, at least for my palate, takes away from the beer. A very simply malt bill, a little crystal to balance the hops and I call it good.

Agreed, but with the extra pop of an DIPA, you need a little extra malt to keep the balance. Malt should def be in the background.

Ever had Pliny the Elder? Simple grain bill. 2 row, a little sugar, a little cara/crystal malt malt.  My IIPA is about the same as my IPA only I add sugar to bump up the OG and use a slightly higher grain bill. Still keep the malt way toned down. In fact, for a good IIPA I would even suggest to keep the malt more in the back than even an IPA. It should be all about hops and little else. Malt should be just there enough to balance everything else

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:21 am »
I respect everyone's input. 
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php

IMO, this beer recipe and the result is still to style guidelines for an American IPA:

Aroma:  "A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted."  Yes--that is what I got.

Color:  "Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist."  My result:  an outstanding sunset orange.

Flavor: "Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required.

Mouthfeel:   "Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts."

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:23:31 am »

IMO, this beer recipe and the result is still to style guidelines for an American IPA:

Aroma:  "A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted."  Yes--that is what I got.

Color:  "Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist."  My result:  an outstanding sunset orange.

Flavor: "Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required.

Mouthfeel:   "Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts."

Amen! I am not a style guide stickler, but this is the beauty of homebrewing. You get to decide if it is low malt flavor or medium, whether it is medium bodied or even light. I am still definitely in the experimentation phase as I learn all of the malts, barely cracked the surface on the possibilities of hops, yeasts, and spices. We can each make what we like, on special occasions for friends and family, and are not at the whim of a brewmaster we will never meet nor have any influence over.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:38:15 am »

Again. I'm not criticizing your approach. Just putting my .02 cents in. There are a lot of IPAs on the market that are well respected and have a lot more malt than I care for in my IPA. Just, IMO, the BEST IPAs have a very simple grain bill. That doesn't mean that there is only one solution. Thankfully there are lots of different styles out there.

I would say that I feel my IPA falls within the guidelines as well with medium mouthfeel, etc. Like I said, to me the maltiness and hoppiness can really clash. That's my taste. My approach. Other may be different.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »
Just took 5 gallons of my IPA to the "end of the season" all-star baseball party.  5 gallons of this IPA dissappeared in 5 hours.  There are only 12 kids on the team--and not all of the parents drink...

And, no!, I didn't drink it all --- I probably only had 3 half dixie-cups full the whole day.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 09:28:05 pm »
I tried an all Colombus beer that was an attempt at a clone of the Avery Hog Heaven beer.
I missed the OG so I just call it an APA .... anyhow it sure is reminiscent of Grapefruit from the Hops.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.