Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What styles of beer age best?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
What styles of beer age best?
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:08:38 pm »
I saw another post on here that sparked my interest in aging beer and giving as gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other occasions. What styles of beer age well for +1 year besides the usual RIS and Barleywines? Has anyone experimented with beers styles to see what ones age well? I know that general consensus says not to age hoppy beers due to loss of hop character which makes sense.

P.S. Related question about historical IPA's, wouldn't these historic IPA's be aged for a couple months before being consumed once the reach their destination in India. I guess I am just asking because it would be a cool fact to know. Thanks in advance for everyone's replies and insight. 
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What styles of beer age best?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:06:27 am »
A guy in our club makes an AWESOME aged IPA.  He intentionally uses waaay too much hops, ferments it with yeast then ages it on brett strains for over a year.  Killer beer, but I don't have specifics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:03:36 pm by JT »

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:10:06 am »
I saw another post on here that sparked my interest in aging beer and giving as gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other occasions. What styles of beer age well for +1 year besides the usual RIS and Barleywines?

I would think wee heavy and strong Belgian ales like quads would age well.

Ralph R.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:33:23 am »
I saw another post on here that sparked my interest in aging beer and giving as gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other occasions. What styles of beer age well for +1 year besides the usual RIS and Barleywines?

Belgians do age well, but they tend to lose a lot of their unique fruity and phenolic Belgianiness over time.  End up tasting more like an aged barleywine after many years in my experience.  But still great.

There's a reason RIS and barleywine, and Biere de Garde, and maybe Double IPAs or similar, are noted as the best styles for aging -- it's because it's true.  Other beers don't age well at all.  And I would know.  I'm the guy with 10 cases of beer in the cellar that's several years old.  I end up dumping some of it, not all but a few, because *shock* it all does go bad over time.

The other "style" that tends to age well are the Brett and sour beers, IF you're into that kind of stuff at all.  The more alcohol, the longer it will last.  And the alcohol thing holds true for most styles.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 08:00:49 am »
I recently had the last bottles of my dunkel and bock from late 2014 and they were great still. Too far separated from having them before to compare to, but I did really enjoy them. No real experience with older than that though. My barleywine from January 2015 is still too hot and boozy for me (The Queen's Diamonds, from Drew and Denny's book) but SWMBO loves it, so I guess another vote for barleywine
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:46:36 am »
I saw another post on here that sparked my interest in aging beer and giving as gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other occasions. What styles of beer age well for +1 year besides the usual RIS and Barleywines? Has anyone experimented with beers styles to see what ones age well? I know that general consensus says not to age hoppy beers due to loss of hop character which makes sense.

P.S. Related question about historical IPA's, wouldn't these historic IPA's be aged for a couple months before being consumed once the reach their destination in India. I guess I am just asking because it would be a cool fact to know. Thanks in advance for everyone's replies and insight.

The stronger and hoppier a beer is, the better it will keep.  Yes, in something like an IPA you might lose some hop character, but aging is obviously style dependent.  Although historical IPAs obviously had age by the time they got to India, there's no indication that was a good thing.  It simply was the way it was. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:48:46 am »

True.  I have a 5 year old quad that just continues to get better.  I have some 12-13 year old North Coast Old Stock ale that's amazing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 10:24:04 am »
Whatever you brew be really anal on cleaning and sanitizing.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 12:42:42 pm »
My Old Ale ages very well.  It is also quite drinkable at 5 mos too. Strong lagers age nicely as well.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »
Thanks everybody for the input. I am not a huge of Belgians as of right now, I have brewed 1 or 2 and tried a few commercial examples of different styles and they were decent but not my style. I don't have any experience with Barleywines, sour beers and very little IPA experience. Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? Most of the people I would be gifting beers don't venture too far into the craft brewing seen and I don't seem them liking Belgians, a strong RIS or a complex Barleywine. I have been trying to perfect a Chestnut Brown ale that I and other family members have liked and I think it would be a good one to age once I finalize a recipe.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »
I don't see why not. You may want to consider bumping up the OG to help in the aging process.  Some good character malts along with a decent amount of chocolate malt(s) for complexity will also help to combat oxidation during aging. I would think a 1.075-1.080 OG would be good for this.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 04:58:25 pm »
My Old Ale ages very well.  It is also quite drinkable at 5 mos too. Strong lagers age nicely as well.
Yeah, doppelbock doesn't even to start to hit its prime until about 6 months at cellar temp after the initial lagering, IMO. And it keeps improving well after that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 05:24:36 pm »
A big wee heavy, like 1.120ish OG, doesn't start to taste good until it is at least 2 years old, IMO.  Until then, it just tastes too sweet. Something good happens to them over time.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 09:31:52 am »
Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? .

The last brown ale that I brewed was a Northern English brown with an O G of 1.045. I had the last bottle almost exactly one year after I brewed it. It was still really good and I have it on my list of beers to rebrew.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 10:59:40 am »
Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? .

The last brown ale that I brewed was a Northern English brown with an O G of 1.045. I had the last bottle almost exactly one year after I brewed it. It was still really good and I have it on my list of beers to rebrew.

No oxidation after one year?  Was that in a bottle or keg?