Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drew's Weight Loss  (Read 11558 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Drew's Weight Loss
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 10:57:01 am »
I've done the same.  I've run some 5Ks hungover too.  I don't do that anymore. :)

I did squat day once hungover. Baaaaad idea.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »
I've done the same.  I've run some 5Ks hungover too.  I don't do that anymore. :)

I did squat day once hungover. Baaaaad idea.

I find the first 15-20 minutes of cardio hungover are the worst but then it mostly burns off and I can push harder the rest of the way through.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 09:23:31 pm »
Just took a week to watch what I ate and drank and dropped 10 pounds.  So, without giving up beer, but watching carbs and avoiding beer for all but a couple nights, I dropped 10 pounds and feel a bit better.  I'm going to keep going through the next two weeks on a relatively low carb arrangement and hope to drop another 5 pounds or so, acknowledging that the beer carbs will hurt me (judging one comp and likely a few beers during the March Madness). :-*
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2016, 05:26:37 am »
Just took a week to watch what I ate and drank and dropped 10 pounds.  So, without giving up beer, but watching carbs and avoiding beer for all but a couple nights, I dropped 10 pounds and feel a bit better.  I'm going to keep going through the next two weeks on a relatively low carb arrangement and hope to drop another 5 pounds or so, acknowledging that the beer carbs will hurt me (judging one comp and likely a few beers during the March Madness). :-*
Sounds like what my wife and I did, cut back on carbs, except alcohol, and I lost 10 to 12 pounds.  I do miss potatoes a bit though.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2016, 06:12:20 am »
I'm not sold on giving up a whole category of foods, it seems like a recipe for gaining it back. I'm just always plugging away at cultivating good habits and letting go of bad ones.  For me awareness is key. I try to note how I feel after eating various foods and the ones that make me low energy I try to remember when I'm deciding what to eat how it will make me feel later with the hope that after awhile that habit becomes unconscious because willpower alone is not sustainable. Exercise helps me by giving me more energy.I make bad choices when I feel lazy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
However I suspect just from the little bit he did discuss on the latest podcast sounds like its plain ass discipline and being conscious of what you take in.
This. It aint rocket surgery.
Healthy living is like good beer, and most things really. It's about finding and maintaining balance.  Not saying its easy. But come on, we know the answer here.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2016, 09:13:14 am »
However I suspect just from the little bit he did discuss on the latest podcast sounds like its plain ass discipline and being conscious of what you take in.
This. It aint rocket surgery.
Healthy living is like good beer, and most things really. It's about finding and maintaining balance.  Not saying its easy. But come on, we know the answer here.

+2.  There's a whole industry based on diet fads, but it all boils down to 'eat less, exercise more'. I'm sure Drew would agree. I salute the great job he did.
Jon H.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
+2.  There's a whole industry based on diet fads, but it all boils down to 'eat less, exercise more'. I'm sure Drew would agree. I salute the great job he did.

Yup..

Eat a little less
Eat a little better
Move a little more
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 07:16:31 am »

Yup..

Eat a little less
Eat a little better
Move a little more

I think the 'little better' part is key. if you eat crap packaged 'diet' foods you will 1- always be hungry and 2 - not enjoy eating, which leads to an unhealthy relationship with food.

I will add a note of nuance here though. You do have to pay attention to what you are eating. all too often in these kind of discussions someone says it boils down to calories in - calories out. and while that is superficially true, if you take in calories from the wrong sources you will mess up your metabolism and not get the results you are expecting. Similarly if you rely too heavily on shrinking the 'calories in' side of the equation you once again FUBAR your metabolism and set yourself up for failure.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 06:04:43 am »

Yup..

Eat a little less
Eat a little better
Move a little more

I think the 'little better' part is key. if you eat crap packaged 'diet' foods you will 1- always be hungry and 2 - not enjoy eating, which leads to an unhealthy relationship with food.

I will add a note of nuance here though. You do have to pay attention to what you are eating. all too often in these kind of discussions someone says it boils down to calories in - calories out. and while that is superficially true, if you take in calories from the wrong sources you will mess up your metabolism and not get the results you are expecting. Similarly if you rely too heavily on shrinking the 'calories in' side of the equation you once again FUBAR your metabolism and set yourself up for failure.
True.  It reminds me of the 80's when "low fat" was considered healthy. The food industry had just fallen in love with ultra cheap high fructose corn syrup and engineered "food" that replaced fat with sugar. The result was unsatisfying as far as satiating the appetite but highly addictive.
I like Michael Pollan's advice: Eat food not food products. If you get raw whole foods and cook for yourself most meals you can't go wrong. If you eat packaged "food" or at restaurants as a norm chances are you are getting sugar, sodium, and saturated fats in scary amounts that will literally eventually be the cause of your death  and even worse make the last ten years of your life miserable. But you'll be well regarded by the pharmaceutical industry.
There's a big snowball effect. When I eat healthy and am active I have the energy to do  more of that, when I eat crap and am sedentary I don't have the energy to make hood choices and also tend to drink more than one or two.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2016, 08:06:47 am »

Yup..

Eat a little less
Eat a little better
Move a little more

True.  It reminds me of the 80's when "low fat" was considered healthy. The food industry had just fallen in love with ultra cheap high fructose corn syrup and engineered "food" that replaced fat with sugar. The result was unsatisfying as far as satiating the appetite but highly addictive.
I like Michael Pollan's advice: Eat food not food products. If you get raw whole foods and cook for yourself most meals you can't go wrong. If you eat packaged "food" or at restaurants as a norm chances are you are getting sugar, sodium, and saturated fats in scary amounts that will literally eventually be the cause of your death  and even worse make the last ten years of your life miserable. But you'll be well regarded by the pharmaceutical industry.
There's a big snowball effect. When I eat healthy and am active I have the energy to do  more of that, when I eat crap and am sedentary I don't have the energy to make hood choices and also tend to drink more than one or two.

As a German co-worker said while I was working there - "Jeff, you have all the low fat food in America, how you have so many Fat people?"
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2016, 08:39:43 am »

Yup..

Eat a little less
Eat a little better
Move a little more

As a German co-worker said while I was working there - "Jeff, you have all the low fat food in America, how you have so many Fat people?"
Yup. The low fat thing is Bs. The metabolic pathways from dietary fat to body fat are super inefficient. Most of the time your body will just flush excess dietary fat rather than waste energy storing it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2016, 08:42:50 am »
Let me throw my .02 in there. I've always found it's all about calories in! I got into running big time a few years ago and the weird thing about my weight is that I was actually gaining a bunch (and not muscle). I would run a 5K or half marathon and think "ok, I can eat pizza for a week now".

I've had way more luck simply eating less, trying to eat better foods, and just watching my portions. YMMV.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:37 am »
ELF ME

eat less food more exercise
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:37 am »
Anyone who wants to, can now listen to episode 11 of the podcast and you'll hear me talk about it all late in the show.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-11-first-hops-then-rodney
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison