Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Scoring and Awards  (Read 5881 times)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: NHC Scoring and Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 08:55:46 am »
I agree.  The entry counts are so low that there should be a separate limit, and the Ninkasi should be beer only.
Maybe have a separate Ninkasi for mead and cider.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:03 am »
I agree.  The entry counts are so low that there should be a separate limit, and the Ninkasi should be beer only.
Maybe have a separate Ninkasi for mead and cider.

As long as they don't change it for this year.  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline prospero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 03:17:07 pm »
I had the same exact reaction.... I'll reiterate it here:

I have to be honest somethings gotta change with these BJCP 2015 guidelines if this is going to continually happen.

Lager categories continually average 12-18 entries
IPA/American IPA have been separated and now average about 35 entries a piece (the irony is because the IPA category was getting too large)
Specialty categories average 55-81 entries across the board, with multiple sites seeing 70+.... that's ridiculous...

But alas, I got good feedback, so goal is accomplished for me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »

I have to be honest somethings gotta change with these BJCP 2015 guidelines if this is going to continually happen.

IPA/American IPA have been separated and now average about 35 entries a piece (the irony is because the IPA category was getting too large)
Specialty categories average 55-81 entries across the board, with multiple sites seeing 70+.... that's ridiculous...

Read the 2015 guidelines, and you will see that some changes were made to collapse categories to be more like 2008. The NHC specialty was collapsed from 2015 BJCP styles 28,29,31,32, 33,34,27. All going into 26.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/17230031/2016-National-Homebrew-Competition-Style-Guidelines.pdf

Next year it might be good for the first round to follow 2015 BJCP, but the fear is always how to get more categories judged in the second round, which is the real bottleneck. So this year the problem became how to judge all of the specialty in the first round. It will be discussed for next year. The competition committee has a tough job. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:23:45 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jvoeltz

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 11:42:40 pm »
I'd like to see Ninkasi made beer-only next year. Then have separate entry limit for mead and cider.

*edited to be less of a magnanimous prick.  ;D

They need to change the name of the award then. The Hymn to Ninkasi clearly mentions honey. ;)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:32 am »
I'd like to see Ninkasi made beer-only next year. Then have separate entry limit for mead and cider.

*edited to be less of a magnanimous prick.  ;D

They need to change the name of the award then. The Hymn to Ninkasi clearly mentions honey. ;)

I figured it goes with our history of silly names. Like the issue of Zymurgy dedicated to Homebrewers' Favorite Beers that gets a much different name.   ::)

narvin

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:23 am »
Frankly if I could do one thing it wouldn't be to even the categories, but to improve the first round judging by getting more experienced people.

Given the popularity and number of entries, that's just not going to happen.  The first round is a crapshoot these days.  If you come to terms with that, you'll be much happier in life  ;)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 08:57:15 am »
Frankly if I could do one thing it wouldn't be to even the categories, but to improve the first round judging by getting more experienced people.

Given the popularity and number of entries, that's just not going to happen.  The first round is a crapshoot these days.  If you come to terms with that, you'll be much happier in life  ;)

The key would be in changing the selection process for first round sites from a volunteer model to a recruitment model.  IOW, find the areas of the country with more active and higher ranking judges and recruit those areas.  The current model is people ask to host a site.  If they hosted previously, they're given first crack at it next year, regardless of how well the site ran previously.  I'm not sure if the AHA wants to take that on.

But yeah, I've come to terms with the crapshoot aspect.  I'm probably more disappointed that I didn't get to tease anyone I know about how they scored my beer than about not advancing.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:24 am »
Judge pool size is one issue.
Getting the organizers is another.  We've had the same small handful of people pass those roles up here in Seattle for the last 7 or 8 years.  These tend to be the same people who run the local comps.  Frankly, those who have been doing it year after year get burnt out and need someone else to step up.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 10:34:01 am »

The problem is not with the 2015 BJCP guidelines. The problem is with how a competition uses those guidelines. Competitions are free to group styles into any award categories they want, and if they create some giant specialty category like NHC did this year, that is an issue the competition created, not the BJCP guidelines.

This was a learning experience for everyone since it was the first year NHC used the new guidelines, and I'm sure they'll make some adjustments and improvements next year.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 11:59:50 am »
I'm probably more disappointed that I didn't get to tease anyone I know about how they scored my beer than about not advancing.

Ha!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:35 pm »
I've mostly come to terms with the crapshoot nature. Judging Denver did a lot for me there. I had one beer I vehemently defended more than I've ever done for an entry. Other minibos judges wanted it kicked first, but clearly neither understood the style. I pushed it to Finals.
Myself, got a nice scoresheet detailing how my Schwarz was "way too roasty" while the other judge said it was "very smooth but lacking any roast"

...whatev, I'll take my 37 and try again next year.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 08:10:52 am »

Myself, got a nice scoresheet detailing how my Schwarz was "way too roasty" while the other judge said it was "very smooth but lacking any roast"

...whatev, I'll take my 37 and try again next year.

I have read many of my scoresheets with this on there. One judge picks up astringency and the other says its creamy.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 10:10:51 am »
I heard more than a few problems with both judging and organization this year. Lots of grumbling about collapsing the styles back into something similar to 2008. I know there are always complaints but it seemed elevated this year.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

I may have given impression I'm have a problem with  current category entry numbers. I don't.

No one seemed to be complaining when two years ago pilsner in SD had 5 entries while IPA had 87.
as Dennis said the problem isn't the 2015 guidelines.

I support separate entry limit for mead and cider because entry numbers are tiny and we've got room for more without changing anything.

Add one category for American Wild, move fruit and spice to Fruit Beer, couple other tiny tweaks...and done.