Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager!  (Read 14632 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: First lager!
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:17 pm »
I think for a 10 gallon batch it'll work fine.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 07:56:44 pm »
And in the "thanks, I know that now" department -- I always keep a few packs of Magnum pellets on hand. Great go-to for any lager when you need some firm bittering up front and don't want your last half gallon to look like lawn clippings ;-)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 04:23:08 am »

30 IBU FWH --> 12.29 oz (Calculated in Beersmith using a boil/steep time of 20 minutes)

Whoa, change the Use section from Boil to First Wort in Beersmith and set your time at 60 or 90 minutes, whichever you are doing.  First Wort hops go in the kettle prior to the wort, so they're in there for the entire boil.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:24:55 am by JT »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »

30 IBU FWH --> 12.29 oz (Calculated in Beersmith using a boil/steep time of 20 minutes)

Whoa, change the Use section from Boil to First Wort in Beersmith and set your time at 60 or 90 minutes, whichever you are doing.  First Wort hops go in the kettle prior to the wort, so they're in there for the entire boil.

Yes, that is correct. However, some of us run our FWH bitterness numbers treating them as 20 minute additions. This accounts for the difference it how that bitterness comes across in the final beer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 01:08:31 pm »

Yes, that is correct. However, some of us run our FWH bitterness numbers treating them as 20 minute additions. This accounts for the difference it how that bitterness comes across in the final beer.
Wow, taste is very subjective!  I was considering increasing the time section in FWH by 10 min or so to account for the extra time at isomerization temps while raising to a boil.  I only do FWH and whirlpool for my pale ales and they definitely don't lack any IBUs. 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:38 am »
Bit of an update:

My mash tun failed on me this past weekend as I was adding the strike water to it. I made a nifty mod to the cheap and easy design since my cooler had a drain fitting that was threaded with a garden hose fitting. This let me make the valve/drain line assembly removable for cleaning. Well, the metal hose fitting and the soft plastic of the drain didn't get along, and it ended up cross threaded badly enough to fail completely.

I've revised my design a bit, and will try and brew again this Saturday.

I am making a slight recipe change. I'm going to use Wyeast 2124 instead of the WL835. I've decided to save that for a Bock once I have a few batches under my belt. Also, if I like the 835 I want to try and bank that strain, so I'd be better off brewing that later to support that.

Offline j.foamstache

• 1st Kit
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2016, 11:33:17 am »
I think someone commented earlier on the Inkbird 308 Digital Temperature Controller and I would like to second that recommendation. They're relatively cheap at $40, they're super easy to set up and thus far mine has worked with zero issues. This is the first temp control unit I've purchased for my setup and my homebrews have improved immensely.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2016, 11:58:27 am »
I'm still dialing in the Auber. I've got two carboys with 5.5 gallons of water in the freezer, trying to keep the temps within +/- 1.5oF. At first I was getting huge temperature swings, as much as 5o off my target temp.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:08 pm »
I'm still dialing in the Auber. I've got two carboys with 5.5 gallons of water in the freezer, trying to keep the temps within +/- 1.5oF. At first I was getting huge temperature swings, as much as 5o off my target temp.

I found it was better to dial it in with actual fermenting going on.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:36 pm »

True, but with close to a ten degree temp range prompted me to at least get close with the carboys of water. I'm sure further tweaking will be needed, but I've got to be closer than I was before.

Still haven't brewed, waiting for life to slow down.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2016, 05:16:49 pm »

Still haven't brewed, waiting for life to slow down.

Man, you said it. Haven't brewed in a bit, but have a summertime blonde on deck for Memorial Day. Will probably add apricot puree to half to keep my wife happy.  Lord knows I'm not winning there.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2016, 05:28:12 pm »
Man, you said it. Haven't brewed in a bit, but have a summertime blonde on deck for Memorial Day. Will probably add apricot puree to half to keep my wife happy.  Lord knows I'm not winning there.

I feel your pain. I'm about to brew a raspberry ale for my wife (she gets a couple fruit beers/yr). I decided to at least keep it mildly interesting and use 3522. She earns it for putting up with all of this. Luckily her friends come over and get rid of it pretty quickly and free up the tap!
Jon H.

Offline mlstoltz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:05 am »
Moved from MD where I had homebrew store 2 miles away to NC where I no longer have basement and store is 45 minutes away.  Use new Danby 7.0 mini-chest freezer and fairly new 3.5 cu ft GE mini-fridge which makes a good 30+ bottle fridge.  They are all involved in a cycle, I'll start with everything empty. I've saved ICE empties with caps until I had about 50. They are filled with tap water.  When Danby was first received, I used the temp probe from my Inkbird 1000 controller setup to regulate the freezer to 10 deg F.  Good solid freeze.  Note this baseline is not controlled by the Inkbird, was just using proble.  Then switch the line feed for freezer to the Inkbird and used an 8 watt reptile warming pad as my heater and connected power cord to heat circuit of Inkbird.  Took a little to get the compressor delay and range correct so the box did not cycle for no reason, but it's all set up.  So my cycle: 1) IB = 15 deg to freeze 50 ICE water bottles.  2) On brew day, when I use the ICE bottles as 5lbs bag ice to chill and cycle small amount of tap water through dual coil immersion chiller, I set IB = 68 deg F (or whatever yeast needs) and just leave chest open during the boil which knocks off any chill/defrosts nicely.  3)  When my 6.5 gal BB ferm jug gets set - blowoff and all - into the chest, lid goes down and the combo manages the environment +- 2deg F. 4) This continues at whatever temp I need for ales/lagers primary, secondary, and even after bottling if I want to do a controlled conditioning with varying temps.  5) When I decide it's "beer", the chest is basically a big reefer that handles the 50+ bottles with easy and occasionally supplements kitchen fridge.  6) When I get to < 30 bottles, or whatever room I have in the 3.5 GE, I transfer remainder, the ICE go back in as soon as kitchen fridge stuff is moved, including fishing worms (story for another time) and the IB = 15 deg F to start the cycle again.  Only water wasted is small amount in galvanized tub to cycle from stack of ICE bottles through chiller and whatever boiloff I have.  The tub water does do second duty as first washup water before it goes down drain.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2016, 07:16:48 pm »

I feel your pain. I'm about to brew a raspberry ale for my wife (she gets a couple fruit beers/yr). I decided to at least keep it mildly interesting and use 3522. She earns it for putting up with all of this. Luckily her friends come over and get rid of it pretty quickly and free up the tap!
Man, this makes me think of Ommegang's Cooperstown ale. Kind of a Belgian blond style beer and very good. I want to brew one of those now...and I mean NOW.
Jesse

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:33 am »
Honestly, I'd almost rather just stay home from NHC and catch up on brewing. But it's too late to get my money back, and I know I'll feel differently once I'm there.

The lager has been shelved for now (even though the grain has been sitting, milled, in gamma lid buckets for a month) in order to crank out an ale for July 4th.