Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beersmith question  (Read 1714 times)

Offline gvhorwitz

• 1st Kit
Beersmith question
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
Is there a calendar function on the mobile (iPad) app? I can't find it.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beersmith question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:53 pm »
Is there a calendar function on the mobile (iPad) app? I can't find it.
Nope. You can set the brew date. That's the only thing I know of related to the calendar.

Offline Stevie

Beersmith question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:19:28 pm »
The mobile app is lacking many features. I am not a fan and pissed that I bought it.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 04:25:28 am »
The mobile app is good for roughing in a recipe, but that's really about it. I use it to find my initial grain bill and hops, then I'll work out all the details later on the desktop version.

I don't mind the lack of features, but feel it's overpriced for what it is.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline tommymorris

Beersmith question
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:36:27 am »
I am the opposite. I prefer the mobile app over the desktop version. I keep all active recipes in the Beersmith cloud so I can look at them on either platform. But, I rarely use the desktop version. I am not sure which desktop feature you miss. The desktop calendar and inventory  are clunky so I don't bother with them. For efficiency calc I adjust the efficiency in the equipment profile for the recipe until the predicted OG matches the actual. Then I know the actual efficiency.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:59 am »
I am the opposite. I prefer the mobile app over the desktop version. I keep all active recipes in the Beersmith cloud so I can look at them on either platform. But, I rarely use the desktop version. I am not sure which desktop feature you miss. The desktop calendar and inventory  are clunky so I don't bother with them. For efficiency calc I adjust the efficiency in the equipment profile for the recipe until the predicted OG matches the actual. Then I know the actual efficiency.

+1. 

At $8-$10, quite surprised to hear complaints of the price, too.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:51:37 am »
The app just has a really clunky interface IMO. Some sort of menu system to speed changing between the different areas of the app would make it more usable.

The desktop version also lets me see all the info I want on the recipe creation screen. Water volumes for mash and sparge, and some other parameters that I like to keep an eye on can be added to the right-hand column.

To be fair, I'm not much of a smart phone user. Once I have my recipes built I write everything in my log, I find I do a better job keeping a physical log updated vs. a digital one.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.