Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest in Munich  (Read 4311 times)

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
Oktoberfest in Munich
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »
I've been trying to find my pictures but have you been to the greatest of all beer festivals; the Oktoberfest in Munich?  I've been in 1998, 2000, and 2004.  If I had the financial means, I would go every year.  What a blast!  What amazes me is there are 40,000 intoxicated people there and not a single fight.   Have you been?
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline fishruss

• 1st Kit
Re: Oktoberfest in Munich
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:54:10 am »
I havent been there yet. Dream trip one of these days. Go to Japan every year and try to get some brews I can't find in South Dakota (insert joke here). It does seem very crazy all those drunk people and no fights. Next UN conference Munich beer gardens?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:55 am »
What amazes me is there are 40,000 intoxicated people there and not a single fight.   

Are you sure about that. The Wies’n, as they call it there, sure creates lots of headaches for the local police.

I’ve been in 1999 and 2000, I believe. It’s fun, but I don’t like crowds and it certainly is darn crowded there. I did the boat swings where you can go all the way around but I didn’t managed to get that working for me. There must be some trick to it.

The exchange rate really sucks right now :(

Kai

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
The exchange rate really sucks right now :(

Dear God, I miss Deutschmarks, Shillings, Pesetas, Gilders, Lire, and Francs. Damn, some places were just so damn cheap, it was funny. Like Vienna - I remember 14 Shillings to the dollar back in 2000. And we used to go to a bar in Schwedenplatz called "Tequila 17" that was 17 schillings for a tequila shot with a cinnamon-covered slice of orange for chaser... oh to be 16...

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »
Makes you wonder if those times ever come back.

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »
Makes you wonder if those times ever come back.

Kai
I do not think they will.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »
I suspect the developed countries of the west adopting a unified (or pegged) currency in the not-too-distant future. If Britain and Scandinavia make the switch to Euros, that would really be the first sign that a post-dollar currency may be on the horizon. If commonwealth nations adopt the Euro, as well... not altogether unlikely... then I would strongly suspect negotiations to unify the ECB and the Fed.