Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What does “craft beer” mean to you?  (Read 14952 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: What does “craft beer” mean to you?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »
I went with "A beer with real and elevated flavor profiles more distinct than typical light American or International lagers made by a SMALL & INDEPENDENT BREWERY" even though I also don't think the size and independence of the brewery matter in the evaluation of the final product.

I do think that those two factors have an influence though on the final product.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »
I agree with babalu on this one.  Not so much with bluesman.  A lot of yellow fizzy beers are brewed with quality as a prime consideration, but I would not consider them craft beers.  To me a craft beer has to stretch or change the paradigm of what is considered the norm.  I think I may use the word consider too much. ;D ;D ;D
So you wouldn't consider a Prima Pils craft?  There are lots of excellent "yellow fizzy" pilsners brewed by craft brewers here and in Germany, why does a beer have to be outside the norm to be craft?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »
Craft beer is just like craft cheese, bread, wine, etc...

Making a product like our forefathers did before the almighty dollar became the main objective. Using what you have to make what you need. I make beer, cheese, bread, wine, etc... and find it more tasty, wholesome and desirable than anything those that serve Mammon do.

This is Tubercle's view of the subject.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:23:11 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

boulderbrewer

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »
I'll cherry pick a from Mr. Nate. A craft brewer is one who contributes to the continuing innovation and contributing positively to the betterment of beer culture. Also a craft brewer has to contribute to the education of the consumer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:52:36 pm by boulderbrewer »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 08:50:37 pm »
Dang, the C-Pap in person?!  I can remember being in a B&B in Hannibal MO poring over my newly acquired copy of The Complete Joy, etc.  I really am not going to contribute much that is worthwhile to a definition of craft beer but I doff my cap to the earliest of my brewing influences!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »
... IMO the beer determines whether it's a craft beer or not, not the brewery.

I agree 1000%
The size of the company / brewery has nothing to do with whether a beer is a "craft" product.  I have always felt this way.

Both the artisan brewers and the big brewers  can and do make products that are a cut above  'average' beer.  The main difference is that the bigger brewers are still devoting much of their production to making the kind of beer that the vast majority of beer drinkers still want,  alongside efforts to make more products of real distinction than in the past. 
We used to complain when they didn't make that effort.  But now they are making that effort, and in some cases doing it very well.  Just because they use bigger kettles doesn't negate the craft of it.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »
I agree with babalu on this one.  Not so much with bluesman.  A lot of yellow fizzy beers are brewed with quality as a prime consideration, but I would not consider them craft beers.  To me a craft beer has to stretch or change the paradigm of what is considered the norm.  I think I may use the word consider too much. ;D ;D ;D
So you wouldn't consider a Prima Pils craft?  There are lots of excellent "yellow fizzy" pilsners brewed by craft brewers here and in Germany, why does a beer have to be outside the norm to be craft?

I agree... I don't like the "fizzy yellow lager" description that people tend to use.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:00 pm »
Beer produced by the most rudimentary methods available(I may be stretching the definition here) . If there is a ton of automation and computers involved there is no craft. But if a brewer has a couple of pumps, a diverter panel, a bunch of hoses and vessels, and has to manually switch pumps, connections and heat on and off I would lean towards craft. If a brewer has an electric touch screen or mouse driven point and click system, not so much.  
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 05:05:42 am »
Beer produced by the most rudimentary methods available(I may be stretching the definition here) . If there is a ton of automation and computers involved there is no craft. But if a brewer has a couple of pumps, a diverter panel, a bunch of hoses and vessels, and has to manually switch pumps, connections and heat on and off I would lean towards craft. If a brewer has an electric touch screen or mouse driven point and click system, not so much.  

Thats a VERY short list.................... might even leave off a few homebrewers  :P
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline hoptomation

• 1st Kit
  • NW Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:43 am »

If a home brewer uses automation are they no longer considered part of the craft movement?  IMO automation does not relate to the status of one being a craft brewer or not.
Cheers - Luke

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 09:39:55 am »

Thats a VERY short list.................... might even leave off a few homebrewers  :P

::cough:: Claudius ::cough::
...Speaking of "fizzy yellow lager"  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:51 am »
Lets talk about what craft beer "isn't". Certainly Bud Light is not craft beer. Neither is Pabst Blue Ribbon. But what about "Blue Moon"? What about the other "craft beer knock offs" that BMC rolls out?

What about Sam Adams? Are they really considered "craft" beer?

The idea of "Craft Beer" is that these beers were "hand crafted" - or at least brewed in small batches. A lot of "craft beers" out there are brewed in monster size batches and, technically, aren't really craft beers any longer. That doesn't mean the beer isn't great. But is it really "craft beer"?

I'll tell you what appeals to me more than the idea of "Craft beer". LOCAL BEER. That's what I want to see more of. I still appreciate SA and SN, and am thankful to have them as a choice when few other choices are available. But, to me, LOCAL beer is more interesting than "craft" beer.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:45 am »
A beer whose inspiration stems from the imagination and skill of the brewer, not some advertising or market research group.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 10:11:07 am »
I'll tell you what appeals to me more than the idea of "Craft beer". LOCAL BEER. That's what I want to see more of. I still appreciate SA and SN, and am thankful to have them as a choice when few other choices are available. But, to me, LOCAL beer is more interesting than "craft" beer.

SO this!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:33 am »
The following are some concepts related to craft beer and craft brewers: as defined by the brewers association.

Craft brewers are small brewers.

Small brewers are defined as those who qualify for the Tax and Trade Bureau's small brewers excise tax differential by producing less than 2 million barrels annually.

The hallmark of craft beer and craft brewers is innovation. Craft brewers interpret historic styles with unique twists and develop new styles that have no precedent.

Craft beer is generally made with traditional ingredients like malted barley; interesting and sometimes non-traditional ingredients are often added for distinctiveness.

Craft Brewers tend to be very involved in their communities through philanthropy, product donations, volunteerism, and sponsorship of events.

Craft Brewers have distinctive, individualistic approaches to connecting with their customers.

Craft Brewers maintain integrity by what they brew and their general independence, free from a substantial interest by a non-craft brewer.

The majority of Americans live within ten miles of a craft brewer.

I think the characteristics that stand out most to me are innovation and the general use of traditional ingredients, but the one thing that I think really sets craft brewers apart from the BMC's is that the majority of Americans live within ten miles of a craft brewer.
Ron Price