Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Festive Wee Heavy  (Read 4773 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Festive Wee Heavy
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 05:58:08 am »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:42 am »
My south-oriented black letterbox more likely.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 04:04:13 am »
Right, primary's ongoing. Short of campden-bombing it, do I have any way to make WLP530 bail out before it reaches 80% attenuation? 
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 04:28:12 am »
Right, primary's ongoing. Short of campden-bombing it, do I have any way to make WLP530 bail out before it reaches 80% attenuation?
I don't think I'd want to. You're essentially brewing a Belgian Dark Strong Ale at this point, so you might as well roll with it. I'd think that the fruity Belgian esters would make for a cloying beer if it is underattenuated. I'd go the opposite direction and make sure it attenuates as completely as possible.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:20 am »
Makes sense. It's steadily puffing away at room temp. Precisely the opposite fermentation from the one I had in mind for the wee but we'll see where this baby's headed.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 05:11:54 am »
Follow-up.
That WLP530 is an eager bunny. Two weeks in primary and she's still producing enough CO2 to keep the airlock pushed up.
Took a sample: went from OG 1075 to 1011, which gives an ARA of 86%.
Raw yeast taste still overpowers the rest of the beer, but it has a solid body, and a mild, spicy bitterness. Transfering this to secondary over the weekend, when I'll be rebrewing this recipe, only now I'll pitch with proper 1728 Scottish Ale yeast, which Ive prepared two weeks up front. 1 quart starter in 1060 SG wort.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 10:15:32 am »
Follow-up.

Brewed this again today. Smooth sailing all around, with about 20 liters of 1.085 wort cooling in the primary vessel as we speak. That 1728 starter I made for the first batch is now a fully active quart or so. Will pitch this later, and then I'll put the whole shebang in the cellar at 16°C/61°F where I'll let it do its thing for as long as it needs.
Used 50 grams of target @T-30 this time instead of 100g of EKG, as I'd run clean out of the latter. Definitely a more pungent hops, but it'll do fine.
I found out I'd tripled the amount fo roast barley in the first batch (300g instead of 100) so this one is much lighter, with a more pronounced redness, whereas the first one is darker, with a concealed red highlight. WLP530 definitely put its stamp on batch#1, which will likely end up more like an amped dubbel. #2 should be more true to style, but time will tell.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 01:41:48 pm »
I totally know that feeling when you "f" up the first go-round and immediately want to rebrew the recipe, just to say you got it right. In fact, it actually keeps me up at night. I usually get about 2 of those a year and don't typically make it back to rebrewing them until about 10-12 mos later. Shame.

As for the 530 batch, you should split it half. leave half as is, and add some D-180 syrup and cane sugar to make yourself a Belgian Dark Strong. Then you got 2 for one beers.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 12:07:27 am »
UPDATE: YES! That 1728 is really doing its work this time around. Pitched late last night and left the fermentor outside. About 14°C ambient. Full frothy krausen this morning. Moved it to the basement, in case the weather perks up. Which it doesn't like have any intention of doing, by it should be so lucky.

I totally know that feeling when you "f" up the first go-round and immediately want to rebrew the recipe, just to say you got it right. In fact, it actually keeps me up at night. I usually get about 2 of those a year and don't typically make it back to rebrewing them until about 10-12 mos later. Shame.

Yeah. Plus: half of the Clan already thinks every dark-red beer tastes like an abbaye ale(*) even if it's nothing to do with that, so I want to be able to make'm notice the difference, even if I forcefeed it to them by means of a bagpipe bong.

*) actually, they use "trappist" as a reference, for some reason equalling that with Rochefort 12. I have so much work ahead of me...

As for the 530 batch, you should split it half. leave half as is, and add some D-180 syrup and cane sugar to make yourself a Belgian Dark Strong. Then you got 2 for one beers.
As it is, it's already closing in on 10% ABV. I think addind more sugar to that would certainly kill it. And syrup...I'm loathe to add any of that post-fermentation. But I hear you: the malt bill is good starting point for something Strong, Dark, and, for want of better word, Belgian.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:07 am »
Wow!  I would say at 10% that you already have a nice Belgian Dark Strong Ale then.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 07:44:42 am »
Wow!  I would say at 10% that you already have a nice Belgian Dark Strong Ale then.

Well...apart from the sugar which normally lowers the body on those, that is.
That Belgian Wee (for want of a better name) came down from 1085 to 1011, which computes to 9.71% ABV.
I don't suppose WLP530 is going to go much lower still, but I'm giving it its own sweet time. 87% AA already is on the high side but I'm not taking chances with this one.
1728 should only ever reach about 70% max, which would make batch 2 end up at around 1025, with 7.8% ABV. Two quite different beers alright.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:15 am »
Yeah, with those gravity readings I would suspect that the 530 is done.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 09:23:17 am »
1728 should only ever reach about 70% max, which would make batch 2 end up at around 1025, with 7.8% ABV. Two quite different beers alright.

You can get 85% attenuation out of that yeast.  It's not the yeast as much as the wort that determines attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell