Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: new brewer with little to no fermentation  (Read 2167 times)

Offline billthebrewer

• 1st Kit
new brewer with little to no fermentation
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:41 pm »
Here's the story, brewed my first batch last Sunday 6/27. Some missteps were taken I was just so damn excited about my beer. I dont think I did the best job pitching my yeast. That night it seemed all was well the airlock bubbled and gurgled. By the next day the airlock was pretty quite and now 7/1 (3days and a night) nothing is going happening. I have read/heard of stalled fermentation, could this be stalled or is this batch dead and  ruined? I haven't measured the SG since pitching the yeast and was going to wait at least a week (7/4) before taking samples. I am tempted to get a second carboy and begin another batch ASAP but if the first batch does succeed I'll have nowhere to store all the beer. Thats a phrase I thought I would never use "too much beer".
Thanks
bill

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: new brewer with little to no fermentation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »
More information would help...  What kind of yeast did you use?  If liquid, did you make a starter?  What temp did you pitch the yeast at?  What temp are you fermenting at?  ...and more details like that.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »
Yes more info and a gravity reading. You could be on target depending...

My last batch fermented out in 30 hours. I was a bit shocked. But a gravity reading told me no lies. Despite the bulk of fermentation having occured it'll still sit for a total of seven days just to clean everything up.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline billthebrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:28 pm »
I just caved in and checked my gravity and the hydrometer sank like a rock to the bottom. As of now my beer is on par with water at 1.002 gravity with an expected gravity of 1.044. I used a dry yeast Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast and pitched at 68F and fermenting at 66-72F. I used this kit from northern brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/nut-brown-ale-extract-kit.html
I did kind of pitch twice: I forgot to aerate the wort and pitched about half my yeast then shook up the carboy and added what was left.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »
How about giving it a little stir and checking the gravity again? Nottingham is great, but I don't think it's that great. (96% attenuation)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:43:57 am »
How about giving it a little stir and checking the gravity again? Nottingham is great, but I don't think it's that great. (96% attenuation)

I have never hit 96% apparent attenuation, though I have hit 95%.
attenuation, while yeast is a factor, is not a major factor.  The mash is FAR more important than the yeast to attenuation.

The mash is not a factor here since this is an extract brew.  with a 1.044 OG I would expect a FG of around 1.010 - 1.012.

The issue of a low FG (1.002) is most likely the result of insufficient mixing of the extract, at some stage it all settled to the bottom and may have been left out of the fermenter.

How/when did you mix the extract into the wort?  how did you transfer to the fermenter? and did you leave anything behind? (how much?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:55:10 am »
A couple things I would suggest: first, calibrate your hydrometer in water and see if it reads 1.000.. Tap water will work (distilled water is most accurate). The little piece of paper sometimes slides.

Second, when you say the beer fermented at 66-72, are talking actual fermentation temp? Or or is this the ambient temp of the room you are fermenting in? Because fermentation is exothermic and will generate heat as much as 6-8 degrees over ambient.

Sounds like you are on your way to making your first batch of beer. Congratulations and welcome to the obsession.

Offline billthebrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:08 am »
Hydrometer is reading accurate
actual "beer" temp is 76F
hydrometer reading today after stirring the fermenter: 1.010
steeping the grains for about 25 min, removed from heat, added 6 lbs of Gold malt syrup, stirring it in, brought to boil added hops and continue boil for 60 min. Poured wort in fermented via plastic funnel leaving behind about a inch of sludge.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:34 am »
Hydrometer is reading accurate
actual "beer" temp is 76F
hydrometer reading today after stirring the fermenter: 1.010
steeping the grains for about 25 min, removed from heat, added 6 lbs of Gold malt syrup, stirring it in, brought to boil added hops and continue boil for 60 min. Poured wort in fermented via plastic funnel leaving behind about a inch of sludge.

Beer temp is the giveaway here.  At that temp, the yeast works really fast.  Unfortunately, you won't make the best beer you could at those temps.  I like top ferment 10+ degrees cooler than your 76F.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline billthebrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 04:48:58 pm »
thanks brew crew for all your help

It looks like I am ready to bottle, gravity is holding steady at 1.010 for the last two days. In about two weeks I will finally be able to Relax and have a home brew!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 08:07:02 pm »
Pop a bottle or two after 7 days. Just for future reference.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis