Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I get a show of hands... dry hop temp  (Read 7694 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Can I get a show of hands... dry hop temp
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »
Man I really don't feel like I have ever experienced the deleterious effects of O2 pickup on any of my jumped beers.  I'm sure that your methods are much better and reduce the O2 pickup, but i also try to drink my IPAs long before they would show oxidative signs.   I applaud your efforts, but until I start to consistently have oxidation issues, I'll leave that solution alone.

Right on the money, Paul!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2016, 02:06:38 pm »
Gotta say, I'd like to see somebody with a DO meter do a batch with Brewtan B and no spunding, just basic closed transfers, and compare the difference in final levels. Might be interesting to see.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2016, 02:12:19 pm »
Gotta say, I'd like to see somebody with a DO meter do a batch with Brewtan B and no spunding, just basic closed transfers, and compare the difference in final levels. Might be interesting to see.
There doesn't seem to be a consensus yet.  Denny has been cautious but has also said he thought he detected smoother beer.  A few others have thought there was an improvement but then backed off when doing side-by-side tests.  I absolutely notice softer, smoother beer (ale and lager) and if it's conformation bias, then CB must be a very powerful thing.  If this is all in my head, I need to have my head examined.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »
There doesn't seem to be a consensus yet.  Denny has been cautious but has also said he thought he detected smoother beer.  A few others have thought there was an improvement but then backed off when doing side-by-side tests.  I absolutely notice softer, smoother beer (ale and lager) and if it's conformation bias, then CB must be a very powerful thing.  If this is all in my head, I need to have my head examined.  :P

Being cautious, too. I feel like the Ofest is noticeably softer and has better malt character. OTOH I'm using Barke malts for the first time which, even eaten raw, are noticeably better. So who knows. The other test is gonna come in sampling the beer in 6 months, to see how its freshness holds up bottled from keg. But the real test won't come until I do a dual APA brewday soon, one with Brewtan the other without. Hoping to do that soon.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »

I've tried to avoid the threads, but has anyone doing the LODO process done a side-by-side or triangle yet?  My recollection is not. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 02:33:44 pm »
As far as the topic of the thread, I don't dry-hop much, but when I do it's typically in kegs that are sitting in my cool room at ~60 degrees.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
I've tried to avoid the threads, but has anyone doing the LODO process done a side-by-side or triangle yet?  My recollection is not.

Not as far as I know.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »

Being cautious, too. I feel like the Ofest is noticeably softer and has better malt character. OTOH I'm using Barke malts for the first time which, even eaten raw, are noticeably better. So who knows. The other test is gonna come in sampling the beer in 6 months, to see how its freshness holds up bottled from keg. But the real test won't come until I do a dual APA brewday soon, one with Brewtan the other without. Hoping to do that soon.
I also changed some other things at the same time but I think that everything I've done has had a positive impact.  On my lagers with Barke, I thought the same thing about the difference in the beer.  But I have also noticed improvement in my pale ales made with a fresh sack of Rahr base malt.  The APA test where one is brewtan and one is not should provide some good information.  Again I will state that it's possible that someone who is already very careful about O2-pickup may not get the same results with brewtan as someone who splashed their way through brewday.  Anyone who already has low O2-pickup doesn't need brewtan as much as someone whose beer is loaded with oxygen.  Just thinking out loud.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 02:55:15 pm »

Not as far as I know.

That's what I thought.  I've been doing closed transfers to the keg on my last couple of batches (pushing out the star san, etc.).  I can't say that it's made a difference, but it can't hurt and it doesn't cost me anything.

These days, I'm mostly brewing for parties and the kegs go quick so any long-term oxidation doesn't get the chance to appear.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 02:56:24 pm »
Because my goal was to get an idea of what Brewtan B did, I changed nothing about my process other than using it.  I've done a back to back brew where the only variable was the Brewtan, and several brews of familiar beers to get a more subjective assessment.  I feel like changing more than one thing won't really be testing the Brewtan.  I've got maybe 2-3 more batches to brew to evaluate ingredients/equipment I've been sent, but after that it will be back to Brewtan testing.  I also want to talk to Joe Formanaek on the show as soon as the 3 of us can work out the scheduling.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 03:14:34 pm »
There's been several side by sides with the mini-mash test. Do it yourself if you want - their tend to be differences in color and flavor.

It's one of those things... how to put it? I used to brew my lagers with a ramp up at the end of fermentation, transfer to a C02 purged serving keg, gelatin/crash, and force carb. Now I cold ferment, spund, keep O2 low, and lager > gelling. Even bought a copy of Kunze and a DO meter. The difference is stark. Like imagine if your goal was to brew authentic American IPA but you had never tried dry hopping before. Then one brew day you added 4oz of citra dry hops to your recipe. You wouldn't really feel the need to blind test yourself, you'd call it a win and keep exploring dry hopping methods.

That being said, I can't distinguish for certain which variables specifically are most leading to awesome lager (is it the oxygen? The fermentation schedule? The Spunding? The natural lagering?). I'm planning to brew up a s*** ton of Helles soon so maybe I'll throw one batch in there with zero-care given to O2 and see how it shakes out.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »
That being said, I can't distinguish for certain which variables specifically are most leading to awesome lager (is it the oxygen? The fermentation schedule? The Spunding? The natural lagering?). I'm planning to brew up a s*** ton of Helles soon so maybe I'll throw one batch in there with zero-care given to O2 and see how it shakes out.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that there should be zero care given to O2, just questioning the role of confirmation bias in the testimonials.  But I don't want to argue it and we're derailing the thread...

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »
What a great few pages of reading. Maybe Santa will bring me a spunding valve this year?

There are instructions for making your own in Experimental Homebrewing.

Found it! If only I knew what a 1/4 NPT to barb fitting is and how I can find it in Europe ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »
Like imagine if your goal was to brew authentic American IPA but you had never tried dry hopping before. Then one brew day you added 4oz of citra dry hops to your recipe. You wouldn't really feel the need to blind test yourself, you'd call it a win and keep exploring dry hopping methods.
I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for brewtan but this is how I felt after sampling the first brewtan beer I made... a helles that I make A LOT.  Yes, there were other variables that I already mentioned but the beer was night and day different based on years of making the same recipe.  There were calls for data and triangle testing.  I said, "I don't need no stinking testing!" but then the "confirmation bias" came into the picture and so now I just keep my mouth shut and drink my beer.  :D  Again, whatever it is... something has changed for the better.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:27 pm »
I'm going to AiH this afternoon, will now pick one up.
I think mine was $32 or something.  It connects to one port on your keg and has an adjustable gauge on it which may read in PSI or "BAR".  I seem to remember someone telling me to set the spunding valve to "8 bar".
A bar is just under 1 Atmosphere. 8 bar would be roughly 8*14.5 PSI = 116 PSI, so that was bad advice. Even .8 bar is on the high side. 8 PSI is more in the range for a lager at lager temps.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!