Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kolsch grain bill  (Read 11216 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: kolsch grain bill
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
Went with 100% Schill Pilsner and imperial g03 dieter which is supposed to be the same as wlp029. I was preferring 2565 but now I find myself liking 029 better. Will be using a portion of the yeast cake for an imperial kolsch which I assume will come off similar to a Helles bock.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 01:08:16 am »
My last Kolsch was WLP029 with some Galaxy hops at flameout. Added a nice subtle twist without dominating.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 06:18:07 am »
Went with 100% Schill Pilsner and imperial g03 dieter which is supposed to be the same as wlp029. I was preferring 2565 but now I find myself liking 029 better. Will be using a portion of the yeast cake for an imperial kolsch which I assume will come off similar to a Helles bock.

I've bounced around between both and preferred the WLP029 for most of that time as well. It seemed to have more of that "white wine" characteristic. I use WYEAST though almost exclusively for my yeast now though so haven't used that strain in a couple years.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2016, 10:47:09 am »
A local brewery here in Denver changed their yeast to inland island 571.  Completely changed the whole beer IMO.  I would not recommend this yeast if you're looking.  Came out closer to a hefe with that banana/Clove character.  Brewer said he might switch back to 2565. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2016, 10:48:33 am »
A local brewery here in Denver changed their yeast to inland island 571.  Completely changed the whole beer IMO.  I would not recommend this yeast if you're looking.  Came out closer to a hefe with that banana/Clove character.  Brewer said he might switch back to 2565. 

Banana and clove have zero business being in a kolsch.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 10:51:37 am »

Banana and clove have zero business being in a kolsch.
That's why I felt obligated to speak up.  I actually believed they served me the wrong beer. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 07:35:16 pm »

Is is a good brewery? I live in Denver and it seems that about half of the opening breweries are making solid beer. Just my opinion and maybe it has something to do with the particular breweries that I actually visit. I know of one brewery in particular that brews a horrible kolsch. These days; if you build it, they will come. Quality is secondary...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:41:48 pm by goschman »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 08:31:23 pm »

Is is a good brewery? I live in Denver and it seems that about half of the opening breweries are making solid beer. Just my opinion and maybe it has something to do with the particular breweries that I actually visit. I know of one brewery in particular that brews a horrible kolsch. These days; if you build it, they will come. Quality is secondary...
I think so. not all the beer is great but not all breweries can be broken compass either.  I'll  just say it's by sloans lake.  It was the first kölsch I've ever had and it got me hooked. 

I agree on quality, that's why I stay away from colfax breweries besides fiction

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 08:36:25 pm »

I think we are talking about how the same place. I haven't been there but have heard about this beer in question.

I think so. not all the beer is great but not all breweries can be broken compass either.  I'll  just say it's by sloans lake.  It was the first kölsch I've ever had and it got me hooked. 

I agree on quality, that's why I stay away from colfax breweries besides fiction

Funny. Pretty sure that's the kolsch I am thinking of. Not sure it has anything to do with their yeast...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:08:07 pm by goschman »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 09:49:07 pm »

I think we are talking about how the same place. I haven't been there but have heard about this beer in question.

Funny. Pretty sure that's the kolsch I am thinking of. Not sure it has anything to do with their yeast... Not a huge fan of broken compass but used to be. Very excited to visit the new bierstadt lager haus. Seems to like they know what they are doing.
They changed the yeast a few batches back to inland island.  Brewer said he might go back to 2565.  That's the brewery next to C2 ciders?

Offline ElsassBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2016, 03:51:19 am »
Hi guys, thanks to you i'm now willing to brew barrels of Kölsch :P

I'm a french Brewer with nothing interresant to say other than a little dumb question to ask : what is the software used to create this recipe ? It seems like a mobile software and i'm looking for a good (and free) one since i've started brewing years ago !

Thank you for the sharing and the good tips on fermentation temp by the way :)

Amicalement, ElsassBrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:49 am »
Hi guys, thanks to you i'm now willing to brew barrels of Kölsch :P

I'm a french Brewer with nothing interresant to say other than a little dumb question to ask : what is the software used to create this recipe ? It seems like a mobile software and i'm looking for a good (and free) one since i've started brewing years ago !

Thank you for the sharing and the good tips on fermentation temp by the way :)

Amicalement, ElsassBrewer

I think that is iBrewmaster. I think I used to have it on my iPod years ago. Regardless, CaraVienne has no place in a proper kolsch IMO. Also make sure to make a good sized starter for a kolsch or pitch multiple packs/vials.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 08:11:52 am »
Beersmith - there are two flavors lite and mobile. Lite does not allow editing, but both are not very good. They are mainly companion apps for the desktop software.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 08:49:27 am »

I've bounced around between both and preferred the WLP029 for most of that time as well. It seemed to have more of that "white wine" characteristic. I use WYEAST though almost exclusively for my yeast now though so haven't used that strain in a couple years.

Havent used the WLP029 yet however have been playing with BSI W-177, Kolsch. Interesting yeast puts off a shizz ton of sulfur at 60F. BSI fellas recommend that temp and dont suggest above 65F. I have done both and cant tell a difference. still lots of sulfur. takes a while to condition out. using Hull Melon also and havent made my mind up about it. It's just different. Think i am a classic Hersbrucker guy. Have messed with Mandarina Bavaria also and dig it as a flavor addition. I do like about 75/25% pils/Kolsch malt.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 08:57:15 am »
I do like about 75/25% pils/Kolsch malt.

Pretty close to what I did on my last one - liked it a lot.
Jon H.