Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Felt the earth move  (Read 2173 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Felt the earth move
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:33:27 am »
I was sitting in my chair this morning watching the news and felt the chair shake and wiggle. My Dobe was siting next to me and I told him to quit. Looked down and he wasn't near the chair! Then my wife came in and said did you feel that? Then the news said there was a earthquake near Pawnee Oklahoma,5.6 on R scale. Wow , lived in the KC area most of my life and never felt anything like this. I wonder if it has to do with fraking for natural gas down there? Lived in the Midwest all my life, except during my time in the service, and never experienced a twister but now  have felt a earthquake!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:19:27 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Felt the earth move
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:46 am »
Yup, friend of mine posted pics on FB, knocked a bunch of pictures frames off her shelves around the house, crazy stuff! She's in Lawrence, KS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 11:04:28 am »
Thanks for the ear worm.... ::) Hope the damages were minor and few if any.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:15:38 am »
I was sitting in my chair this morning watching the news and felt the chair shake and wiggle. My Dobe was siting next to me and I told him to quit. Looked down and he wasn't near the chair! Then my wife came in and said did you feel that? Then the news said there was a earthquake near Pawnee Oklahoma,5.6 on R scale. Wow , lived in the KC area most of my life and never felt anything like this. I wonder if it has to do with fraking for natural gas down there? Lived in the Midwest all my life, except during my time in the service, and never experienced a twister but now  have felt a earthquake!
   The stuff I read this morning is blaming it on all the produced water that is being disposed of by pumping it deep underground. I remember that there were a number of small tremors back in the early 60's in the Denver area that were caused by the Military disposing of chemical weapons in deep wells at the Rocky Mtn. arsenal.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Felt the earth move
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:51 am »
I have no idea if fracking causes earthquakes, but pumping s*** into the ground can't be a good idea. Energy consumption is a balancing act between what we can afford to pay versus what we can can afford do to the environment. People want cheap gas.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the ear worm.... ::) Hope the damages were minor and few if any.
  I didn't hear of any damage here in KC and yes, Carol King.... "I just lose control down to my very soul" good song I'm glad someone caught the reference. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:27:21 pm by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:11 am »
I live on the north side of Fort Worth and it woke me up out of a dead sleep. It felt like the bed had been set adrift on the ocean with that sort of slow, swirling motion. It went on for 30-60 seconds and then stopped. At first I thought my two cats were rolling around on the bed fighting. Then I realized they weren't there and everything was moving. It wasn't that bad, just weird. I always thought an earthquake was supposed to be more violent shaking with a faster vibration.

I haven't seen any news stories of injuries or deaths, which is always a good thing. Hopefully people closer to the epicenter did not suffer too much property damage or foundation damage.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 09:47:12 am »
I have no idea if fracking causes earthquakes, but pumping s*** into the ground can't be a good idea. Energy consumption is a balancing act between what we can afford to pay versus what we can can afford do to the environment. People want cheap gas.
   To the extent of my knowledge, fracking has never been shown to cause earthquakes, but pumping large volumes of liquids into known faults can cause the release of some of the pent up stress, triggering earthquakes, albeit usually relatively minor ones.
   Nothing is ever black and white simple, oil and gas production from many formations invariably results in unwanted produced water. Something must be done with this water and it usually contains too much "stuff" to be safely allowed to drain into a watershed. When treating costs to make the water safe are higher than the cost to pump it back into the ground that it just came out of, and the laws allow it, then it probably will be disposed of with the least costly method available, ie pumping it into the ground.
   I doubt that very many folks prefer expensive gas ;).

I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 10:12:20 am »
Even though many areas don't normally get earthquakes they are a possibility world wide.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline TacticalEnigma

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 04:54:00 pm »
I live 40 miles from where it originated. It was definitely a new experience here in tulsa

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk