Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Timer?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline ridefree74

• 1st Kit
First Timer?
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:13:45 am »
Hi. I'm obviously new here and have a question. I would like to brew some sort of apple beer/cider or something with apples. We went apple picking the other day and I'm looking at around three gallons of juice once I make it and I can always get more before the snow starts flying, they are all red delicious. I know Redd's apple ale is frowned upon in some circles but I personally love it. It's not an ale but more of a carbonated apple juice so I was thinking of a Graf or a cider type drink. I'm not sure but I'd like it to be clear in color like Redds (it's a golden/yellow in reality but isn't dark) and taste somewhere along those lines. Could anyone on here give me an idea of maybe what I'm thinking, please. I've been researching various recipes and I just don't want to waste my time and make something that I won't enjoy and the wife and friends will enjoy as well. Thanks in advance.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: First Timer?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:19 am »
I can't say I've ever had Redds so I'm not sure exactly how it is brewed. I believe it is a pretty basic blonde ale with some kind of apple flavoring.

Graf will be sweeter than cider (well one that has fermented out completely) and probably will get you in the neighborhood of what you are after. A pale ale or blonde ale grain bill will get you pointed in the right direction. You may want to add some oats or carapils for body because the apple juice will thin it out.

Go 30-50% apple juice.

You only need enough hops to balance out the beer. 10-15 IBUs will be enough.

English yeast are a good option because they will leave behind a little more sweetness. American ale yeasts will be fine. I've liked Belgian abbey/trappist yeast in graf. It's drier but the fruity esters round out the apple. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:14:04 pm »
A good cut is 2 gallons of 1.052 light extract with 3 gallons of juice 10 IBUs and a dry ale yeast - Nottingham dry packet would be easy enough

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline ridefree74

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:27:28 pm »
Great. Thanks to both of you for that and yes reverseapachemasster, Redds has some kind of apple additive not any actual juice, or that's what I've gathered at least. JJeffers09, love your Franklin quote! Thanks again guys! I think I'll go for a Graf. Really stupid question, apple juice and apple cider, I was going to use cider, does that change anything or just treat it as such (juice).