Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Card benefits  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Card benefits
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:32 pm »
I think I've had NB honor my member number on orders.  Pretty sure it was NB, but you had to put the number in the notes.

As far as local brew pubs, Goose Island has always been great to me.  I haven't been there in ages though.

And as far as crappy bartenders go, I've seen my share.  One dude tried to tell me a pour of Guinness that was half foam was OK because "the foam is as good as the beer."  I told him to keep the foam.  Didn't go over well, but I got my full pint.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

coastsidemike

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 09:27:08 pm »
The discount is too nuanced for most to know about, and I find the whole percent discount thing is sometimes confused and applied to the entire bill.  It's more of a talking point for me.  A good bartender knows that the occasional generosity of the tap is returned in generosity of tips & returned business, and at that point a discount really doesn't matter.  Finding a good bartender, +1.

My favorite benefit of the AHA card is to check the gap setting on my grain mill.  It should be a semi-loose fit but not fall through.  Works great.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 06:00:38 am »
Not many discounts around me (or any that are worth it), but I use it at Moonlight Meadery and they are always great.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »
Hi all - thanks for the input on this... And apologies on the delayed response. I'm sorry to hear that some of the locations in Asheville aren't honoring the discount. If they are listed in Brew Guru, or in the online directory - then they ARE participating. I'll look into New Belgium.

Unfortunately - as has been mentioned in this thread - we run into a problem in many restaurants or taprooms that have a high turn-over rate. Sometimes the discount just isn't part of the training protocol - though we encourage every business to make it so. It is a rare occasion where a business actually has stopped doing the discount but has failed to inform us.

As always - if you find a place that says they are not honoring the discount - please email me at Matt@BrewersAssociation.org or Steve Parr at Steve@BrewersAssociation.org. One of us will follow up with our contact there and make sure that it won't happen again.

So sorry for the inconvenience!

Matt Bolling
AHA Events & Membership Coordinator
Matt@BrewersAssociation.org
Matt Bolling

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
I've never had an issue using my card at all.  A few times a server or bartender asks a manager but the server or bartender seemed like it was no big deal. 

What I have a hard time with is renewing my AHA membership.  The web renewal hasn't worked in three years forcing me to call each year.  This year I've tried calling the AHA several times and nobody answered.  My membership has been expired for several months.  Hopefully I have the time to call (and get an answer) this week as I want to use the card on our honeymoon in Cali next week.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline tstrenuous10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »
I've used mine once or twice and I might start doing it more to track what the savings are and how much I actually "save" using it.  My brew shop says 10% off brewing ingredients but I think it depends who is working that day.  Sometimes they remember, sometimes they forget but I guess I would assume with all their computer tracking they'd be able to enter my issuance date, membership length and have something auto populate a discount that applies.

I used it at BJ's once and expected them to tell me they didn't honor it. Waitress came back with my receipt and the discount on the check.  I saved about a dollar from what I remember. She must have known the discount since she didn't even ask but I thought 10% off a $40 bill with 2 beers would be a little more than $1.  I also made sure to TIP OFF THE ORIGINAL BILL NOT THE DISCOUNTED BILL. I can't believe people will go places, order $50 of food, pay with a $40 gift card then leave a $2 tip thinking they left a 20% tip.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 05:49:56 am »
I've had to bring it to a managers attention a couple times at places like BJ's and Rockbottom but it was honored in the end and no problem on later visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »
Seriously...you get the manager to fix your discount at a brew pub or beer joint...you just flagged yourself as a douche...enjoy the spittle infused discount brews this evening...I can see using coupons and discounts...but while out at a bar...smooth
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 06:18:23 am »
Seriously...you get the manager to fix your discount at a brew pub or beer joint...you just flagged yourself as a douche...enjoy the spittle infused discount brews this evening...I can see using coupons and discounts...but while out at a bar...smooth
Only if you are one to do it in a douchey way. Done politely a bartender would not be offended by this.
I worked at restaurants for many years and never once saw someone's food tampered with, and I have seen some pretty awful customer behavior. Its a myth that this is what happens if you rock the boat.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
Just got my AHA discount at BJ'S in Wichita. All I had to do was ask, and they didn't even ask to see my card! But alas, the discount didn't apply to alcohol :(

BJ's has their Grand Cru on tap. I'm not a huge fan of Grand Cru, but it was a nice change of pace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline craig64

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 10:10:10 am »
I've never been told "no" at any member deal establishment, but the discount I've been given hasn't always been what the AHA lists for that establishment. I've never questioned it cause I didn't want to fuss over 5% or so.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 11:21:31 pm »
Interstingly there's been an effort for a few years to get a verification api operating for membership benefits for online retailers. Don't know where that ended up
Homebrewsupply.com takes member discount. It's 7%. I just used on a new Ss brewtech kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 11:17:32 am »
The brew guru shows the same I pulled off the site and they don't honor them. Example is new Belgium would not honor the 15% off merchandise nor the globe glass

New Belgium honored mine when I visited them in October.  Very nice folks there.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »
The last two opportunities to use my AHA discount I looked at my phone walking out of the place to see a BrewGuru alert telling I about the discount. Doh! User error.

I am sure BrewGuru told me sooner but I just didn't think about it. I missed a free pint at Boulevard in KC and 20% off pizza at Mellow Mushroom.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
Just got my AHA discount at BJ'S in Wichita. All I had to do was ask, and they didn't even ask to see my card! But alas, the discount didn't apply to alcohol :(

BJ's has their Grand Cru on tap. I'm not a huge fan of Grand Cru, but it was a nice change of pace.

hilariously, the same Wichita restaurant took 30 minutes to honor a BJ's Rewards coupon that BJ's had sent to us via email.  But it's been a couple years, so perhaps they have gotten better.  The food was poor or mediocre each time we went, so we stopped going.