Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Probiotics in beer fermented with S cerevisiae only?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Probiotics in beer fermented with S cerevisiae only?
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:56:01 am »
There's a lot of debate about probiotics in unfiltered and unpasturized beer. While beer fermented with wild or multiple species of yeast might contain more probiotics the those fermented with ale yeast only, I'm interested in the latter because that is what I prefer to ferment and consume.

Comments please and thanks in advance for your reply.

Ps: I'm working on a Redneck Nutrition plan: if one 12-oz bottle of beer contains 5% of the minimum daily requirement of vitamin B12, then 20 bottles should satisfy my daily needs.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Probiotics in beer fermented with S cerevisiae only?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:10:41 am »
I've always assumed that in ales and lagers the beer yeast is out competing these microbes. If not you have an infection.
I eat a spoonful of yogurt and some kim chi or sauerkraut every day. I also regularly consume miso and use kefir and drink kombucha occasionally. I also don't avoid "germs" except when I feel tired or hung over so that I have exposure. I drink at least a little alcohol several days a week, including lots of mead and beer.
I can't say for sure if all the probiotics are the reason, but I haven't been sick, even for a day, in 16 years, except the occassinal afore-mentioned hangover.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:18 am »
I think of lactic acid bacteria as being probiotic, not yeast.  I do decant off the yeast when pouring out of a bottle than swirling the bottle and drinking the dregs.

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:05 am »
I think of lactic acid bacteria as being probiotic, not yeast.  I do decant off the yeast when pouring out of a bottle than swirling the bottle and drinking the dregs.

You need sauergut! Drink a glass on brewday probiotics galore.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:11 am »
I think yeast contains loads of nutrients, but is it considered a probiotic?

If you want cheap and easy probiotics, make sauerkraut. Its incredibly simple and delicious.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:29:33 am »
It depends on what you consider probiotic and why you want to consume it.

If you just want to consume a variety of yeast and LAB then pretty much any unwashed fruit or vegetable will do the job.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:39 am »
I had heard something about this awhile back but I thought it was antibiotics. Tetracycline, Check this out,        https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100902094246.htm
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 06:16:02 pm »
I had heard something about this awhile back but I thought it was antibiotics. Tetracycline, Check this out,        https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100902094246.htm
That's pretty cool. It seems we are learning more and more that there were civilizations that were way more advanced than we thought. I would say we were catching up if I were certain that we are actually progressing.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.