Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you break down your ball valves?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
Do you break down your ball valves?
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:16:30 pm »
First a quick introduction. I'm an American living in Brazil and I've been brewing for just over four years.

Now my question. I heard Jamil say that he breaks down the ball valve on his kettle and all its connections for every brew. (In the same show he admits he's a bit anal.) Anyway, with that thing sitting right over the flame, do you all think this is really necessary? Wouldn't running Oxyclean and iodophor through it at the end of every brewday do the trick? What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

John

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Do you break down your ball valves?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:30:10 am »
I just went with a weld-less fitting and plan to only flush it. I think that o-ring will wear out too quickly, and I'm not afraid of infections or off-flavors. Far too flimsy as it is. Darn thing wiggles for crying out loud.

I admire JZ a great deal. However, even if I had a welded rig I wouldn't undo it every batch. Not that anal. Kegs on the other hand, get torn down every use cause it's so easy and practical. I keep both 11/16 and 7/8 wrenches in my kitchen drawer. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:47:31 am »
I don't break down my ball valves regularly, but once in a while give them a good going over. Of course, if you have one-piece valves this doesn't work. You need the 3-piece valves which come apart, rather than being unscrewed from the nipple IFSWIM. This is what I guess JZ is doing.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:25:52 am »
I don't break mine down each time either, but do flush it really good and then take it all apart every 3 or 4 brews or whenever I think of it. Now that my brewery is shut down because of the tornado that ruined my house in June, I will take everything apart and clean really well before my next brew, I can't wait to get back to brewing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:28:56 am by Dbbrewing »

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:39:12 am »
I don't break mine down but I do clean it with brushes and  PBW.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:49 am »
The 2-piece ball valves do come apart with a little elbow grease. You'll be surprised at how much gunk is in them.

I take mine apart once a year. But anything post-boil you might consider doing more often.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:15 am »
I have a 3-piece Blichmann on my boil kettle that I should take apart.  This one gets heat when I recirculate with the pump for the last 15 minutes.

There are the same on the conical that I should break down and see what has built up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!