Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good news, fellow brewers!  (Read 1720 times)

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
Good news, fellow brewers!
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:35:44 pm »
My wife is an analytical chemist and as such, the school science fair has been inescapable for our kids.  Our daughter who is a senior this year analyzed my brewing grains, wort, hops, and beer for mycotoxins and pesticides.  She took samples during one of my brewing sessions.   She wanted to make sure livestock that may use spent grain for feed aren't getting anything nasty.   Apparently, cattle are much more sensitive to mycotoxins than humans.

The end result is what we brewers already know:  yeast are magical creatures.  The brewing process indeed extracted mycotoxin from the grain, so there was none in the spent grains.   The yeast metabolized the mycotoxin present in the wort so there was none in the finished beer.   Additionally, pesticides that were introduced by the hops were cleaned up by the yeast too!   Hooray beer!

:D
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Good news, fellow brewers!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:58:39 pm »
Well, isn't that good to hear. Yeast are workin' pretty hard for us, aren't they. I wonder what happens then if the same yeast is used to repitch into another batch. Do they carry those toxins over or have they completely been positively metabolized?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
I don't think I follow. Yeast aren't involved with unfermented wort, or with spent grain.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:08 pm »
I don't think I follow. Yeast aren't involved with unfermented wort, or with spent grain.

I had to re-read it at first. The point is the mash removed the harmful bits from the grain, and the yeast removed it from the beer. At least that is the simplified assumption. I'm sure there are all sorts of complex o-chem reactions affecting this.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:10 am »
So post-boil, the mycotoxin was still present in the wort, but post-fermentation it had been metabolised by the yeast?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:45:04 am »
yep
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:56:07 am »
Was DON the toxin? When I toured a small Maltster, they said if the DON on incoming barley is to over the standard, it is rejected. I had to ask where it goes, the answer was it became animal feed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:24:07 pm »
Yep, it was DON,  AKA "the vomit toxin".