Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite malt and hop of the year.  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Your favorite malt and hop of the year.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 03:31:11 pm »
I had a beer made at Bell's with Chevallier malt from Crisp. The variety is about 200 years old. The beer was open fermented in the old Stroh's wooden vats. It was bready, like a really good baguette, with some walnut paste lightly spread on it. I loved it.
Good luck finding some of that. Crisp only contracts very limited acres. I wish I could find a bag of that.

There's the rub, finding any even if it is still being grown.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 05:17:42 pm »
I had a beer made at Bell's with Chevallier malt from Crisp. The variety is about 200 years old. The beer was open fermented in the old Stroh's wooden vats. It was bready, like a really good baguette, with some walnut paste lightly spread on it. I loved it.
Good luck finding some of that. Crisp only contracts very limited acres. I wish I could find a bag of that.

There are limited acres, so not much available. Crisp contacted Bell's, as John Mallett's Malt book had come out a little earlier. A Bell's employee I know said they got malt samples from everywhere after the book was published. Most were small samples, not enough to brew a batch with.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »

There are limited acres, so not much available. Crisp contacted Bell's, as John Mallett's Malt book had come out a little earlier. A Bell's employee I know said they got malt samples from everywhere after the book was published. Most were small samples, not enough to brew a batch with.

Wish I could've been there to sample that one. Sounds like it was a great beer.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:32 am »
I have to throw Idaho 7 in here...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:32 am »
I have to throw Idaho 7 in here...

Yeah, I really like it,too. I tried some last year that were ok but not great. But I tried some more recently from a different retailer that were stellar - more like the SN Idaho 7 IPA that was out a year or two ago. Nice hop.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:56 am »
I brewed a Czeck Dark Lager for NHC club night. It was a tmavý ležák at 10P. One key to brewing this was using 15% CaraBohemian to get the dark greasy flavor, and a good mouthfeel. This is one I will brew again. I ignore some rules of brewing when the rule interferes with the goal, like never use more than 5% crystal/cara malt.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 05:00:53 am »

Not sure how easy this will be to get hold of in the US, but it's back available in the UK.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2875
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:11 pm »
CaraHell and Mosaic

In 2016, I really became enamored with CaraHell. I use it alone, with CaraFoam/carapils, and/or with wheat malt to make pale ales and IPAs. I really like it in a hop-forward beer. I find it subtler than other light crystals.

Mosaic has recently overtaken Simcoe as my favorite hop that I can readily get. I still think I prefer Nelson Sauvin, but I haven't been able to buy a fresh pound of Nelson Sauvin in a long time, so I just enjoy it in beers that I drink. I really like that, unlike Simcoe, Mosaic works equally as well on its own as it does in a blend.

Offline mikepires17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 05:10:09 am »
malt- Vienna

hop- Idaho 7

Both are amazing together for an IPA or IPL