Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB no spargers  (Read 5101 times)

Big Monk

Re: BIAB no spargers
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:13:06 pm »
Limiting or eliminating MLT deadspace leaves only absorption and increases Lauter η.

Derrick, what grain absorption factor are you using at home?

0.08 gal/lb

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »
Traditional BIAB here. On a 1.044 beer and 60 min boil with 100% conversion I get 86% and 79% brewhouse.

Pretty much in line with my estimations, 85.5% mash estimation. Out of curiosity, what do you usually get on a bigger recipe? Do you have a specific example in your brew notes?

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:16 pm »
Traditional BIAB here. On a 1.044 beer and 60 min boil with 100% conversion I get 86% and 79% brewhouse.

Pretty much in line with my estimations, 85.5% mash estimation. Out of curiosity, what do you usually get on a bigger recipe? Do you have a specific example in your brew notes?
Sure the biggest beer I have done was Denny's BVIP. OG 1.086. I was 73.1% mash eff. on that one with 100% of predicted conversion. No sparge, traditional BIAB.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 11:01:15 pm »
Sure the biggest beer I have done was Denny's BVIP. OG 1.086. I was 73.1% mash eff. on that one with 100% of predicted conversion. No sparge, traditional BIAB.

Thanks Needles. Matches my predictions again within reasonable +-. 71% estimated.

The current web version I'm using a more advanced efficiency formula than bs2 or anything else uses besides braukaisers batch sparge simulation spreadsheet, but I'm dumbing it down to match beersmiths formulas (it ignores grain moisture content for one thing, and doesn't account for thermal expansion of preboil when calculation preboil gravity.) New patch will come out tomorrow, might be interesting for you to check out with a new recipe since it seems like you fit my no sparge predictions pretty much exactly.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:59:15 am »
Because of the excessive quantities of hops I use, the only efficiency I really bother with is pre-boil. I no-sparge in a cooler with a grain bag, and I give the bag a decent squeeze at the end (but don't wring it totally dry). I end up in the 81-82% range for my preboil efficiency for a 75 minute mash.

I don't normally worry about my mash thickness, but I notice that efficiencies start to dip for thin mashes approaching 4 qt/lb. For beers where the full volume mash would be thinner than 3.3-3.5 qt/lb, I keep it around 3 qt/lb and add the rest to the runoff pre-boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 09:27:01 am »
I dropped 15-20 [points doing BIAB no sparge compaerd to batch sparging in my cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 09:32:36 am »
I dropped 15-20 [points doing BIAB no sparge compaerd to batch sparging in my cooler.

That's interesting. I know you've spoken of having nearly no deadspace losses in your cooler and if you had full conversion then your Lauter η would equal your Mash η.