Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BS2 IBUs  (Read 2805 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
BS2 IBUs
« on: February 09, 2017, 07:43:26 am »
Hey guys using BeerSmith2 - what are you doing for whirlpool additions?  I generally have a difference in perception of bitterness in my brews.  Current IIPA is a 80IBUs 0.96:1 BU:GU and it drinks much like an APA.  Not sweet but fruity.  Now 2oz in the whirlpool for 20 mins @170F gives me ~19IBUs and I am not getting that in the finished product.  How can I adjust the bitterness contributions from what I am perceive in the final product?  What do you do?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BS2 IBUs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:25 am »
I've set my whirlpool to 0.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:05:34 am »
Hey guys using BeerSmith2 - what are you doing for whirlpool additions?  I generally have a difference in perception of bitterness in my brews.  Current IIPA is a 80IBUs 0.96:1 BU:GU and it drinks much like an APA.  Not sweet but fruity.  Now 2oz in the whirlpool for 20 mins @170F gives me ~19IBUs and I am not getting that in the finished product.  How can I adjust the bitterness contributions from what I am perceive in the final product?  What do you do?

I've adjusted IBU contribution of whirlpool/steeping hops at 170°F down to 5% in BS2, which generally equates to a very small amount of additional IBU contribution (i.e. 2-5 IBUs).  Based on previous reading, isomerization of hop alpha/beta acids really trails off below 180°F, so I took a guess of 5% at 170.  Overall, I would say the approximations I get are adequate.

TBT, it's all a guessing game with IBU contribution from hops anyway.  Let your palate guide the way.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:09:18 am »
I set flameout/whirlpool hops for 4 minutes boiling time in beersmith.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:26:35 am »

Same.  I know a few extra IBUs probably calculate but I whirlpool cool enough not to notice much (if any) bump in bitterness.

Edit -  IBU are just a number anyway - perceiving them is totally relative to your grist, water chemistry,etc. Imagine 100 IBU in an all RedX base vs a Briess 2 row base.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:29:52 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:57 am »

Same.  I know a few extra IBUs probably calculate but I whirlpool cool enough not to notice much (if any) bump in bitterness.

Edit -  IBU are just a number anyway - perceiving them is totally relative to your grist, water chemistry,etc. Imagine 100 IBU in an all RedX base vs a Briess 2 row base.
Good point...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:44:33 am »

same here.  I drop to 180 before throwing in the WP hops, so I don't expect much IBUs out of them.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 09:02:48 am »
I zero the AA% for whirlpool so that the IBUs calculate to 0.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »
I zero the AA% for whirlpool so that the IBUs calculate to 0.

same here.  I drop to 180 before throwing in the WP hops, so I don't expect much IBUs out of them.

+1

Why quibble? What you get from whirlpooling is all good! If you are getting too much bitterness, dial back your other additions. If you want flavor and aroma, don't spare the whirlpools.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:29:44 pm »
I don't enjoy bitterness, harsh bitterness is a flaw IMHO.  It's not everyone's goal to make a less bitter IPA but it is mine.  I enjoy the fruit esters and aromas of what is available to us now-a-days

AHA Member

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:07:14 pm »
I set it to zero. The way he's trying to fudge factor makes absolutely no sense. There's no reason for a whirlpool addition to contribute more bitterness than a 5 minute flameout addition. It should be treated as a flameout addition, with a multiplier at the very least.

With that said, we know basically nothing about how boil off rates, kettle geometry, boil pH, protein content, or varying temperatures impact isomerization. It's all guess work, and a cool temp <180F whirlpool addition is going to contribute minimal bitterness, if any.

Hey man, IBUS are just a construct. Stop trying to harsh my mellow.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 03:37:32 am »
I appreciate all the advice guys.  Off to brew another!  Cheers

AHA Member

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 05:50:20 am »
I'd say use whatever makes sense to you. Calculated IBUS are arbitrary anyway, only useful to the brewer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 06:15:31 am »
I'd say use whatever makes sense to you. Calculated IBUS are arbitrary anyway, only useful to the brewer.
Good point

AHA Member

Offline BrewBama

BS2 IBUs
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 07:26:47 am »

+1  When I was in the Army I crewed helicopters. One of my jobs was to 'call slingloads'. What that means is I laid on the floor of the acft and told the pilot how high the load was off the ground so we didn't slam it into something, namely the earth. Of course, I had no idea how high the load was off the ground because I have no references so the term 10' really meant some increment I associate with 10'. I think of IBU(s) the same way: that grain bill + that hop bill/schedule = this bitterness. After a while you get calibrated. Like calling a sling load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk