Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Suggestions for an Over-the-Top, Citrusy IPA  (Read 7685 times)

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
Hop Suggestions for an Over-the-Top, Citrusy IPA
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:11 pm »
A local brewery creation has inspired me to want to design the most ridiculous, over-the-top, hoppy, juicy, citrusy IPA I can come up with.

I'm not normally a big IPA fan, so my hop knowledge is limited to what I've seen used in kits (Citra, Simcoe).  I've picked up a copy of the 2016 YCH Varieties handbook to start researching.  I'm sure there are more varieties out there than what are listed in the book due to trademarks, etc.

If you wanted to just knock someone over the head with a citrus IPA, what varieties would you use and in what stages? (FWH, boil, FO/whirlpool, DH)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Hop Suggestions for an Over-the-Top, Citrusy IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:56:19 pm »
Citrus zest adds a depth of flavor and dimension as well.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:39 pm »
Citra is loaded with oil, and that is where a lot of that juiciness comes from. On its own, it's more mango than citrus, but once you add a few more varieties in it starts to come back to citrus. I like to use Nelson Sauvin with it, which has a lot of grapefruit character. Vic Secret and Galaxy are nice, but they lean more towards passionfruit than straight-up citrus.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:36:47 pm »
A blend of Amarillo, Lemon Drop, and Citra is nice, in a 2:2:1 ratio. Orange, lemon and citrus/mango, a pretty cool synergy.
Jon H.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »
I'm a big fan of the more traditional "C" hops. Cascade, Chinook, CTZ and Centennial work for me.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline bhchrist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, and Azzaca in a late hopping schedule make for a serious juice bomb. I used them in an APA together last summer that included the Vermont Ale/Conan yeast strain. The Pale Ale served as a yeast starter of sorts for a bigger DIPA and I preferred the Pale after all was said and done.

I have also had a great, juicy IPA with El Dorado, Amarillo, and Citra. Cashmere and Lemon Drop would also be interesting options if you wanted to push more into the lemon-lime citrus territory.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:31 pm »
Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, and Azzaca in a late hopping schedule make for a serious juice bomb. I used them in an APA together last summer that included the Vermont Ale/Conan yeast strain. The Pale Ale served as a yeast starter of sorts for a bigger DIPA and I preferred the Pale after all was said and done.

I have also had a great, juicy IPA with El Dorado, Amarillo, and Citra. Cashmere and Lemon Drop would also be interesting options if you wanted to push more into the lemon-lime citrus territory.

Hmmm, interesting combos.  I might have to try something on that order - either of the combos you mentioned. 

FWIW, I found out that my tastebuds are not suited to lemon drop, which I've only used in combo with other hops.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:53 am »
I will throw Equinox/Ekuanot into the mix. Not a citrus bomb but adds some nice elements.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:05:09 am »
Citra, Columbus, Cascade, in maybe a 1/1/1 ratio.  Yep, that'd do it.  Use Columbus or Cascade for the bittering, and all three at flameout or whirlpool, and dry hop.  Each late addition should be about 0.75-0.8 oz per gallon (about 4 oz in 5 gallons).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:58 am »
I'm a big fan of an even amount of Galaxy/Simcoe/Citra/Mosaic in (D)IPAs. I have also gone to only 3 additions. I do a FWH with a neutral bittering hop (or the same combo), a Whirlpool/Hop Stand addition at flameout, and dry/keg hopping.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:29:53 am »
I have also gone to only 3 additions. I do a FWH with a neutral bittering hop (or the same combo), a Whirlpool/Hop Stand addition at flameout, and dry/keg hopping.

Same here.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:53 am »
Citra, Columbus, Cascade, in maybe a 1/1/1 ratio.  Yep, that'd do it.  Use Columbus or Cascade for the bittering, and all three at flameout or whirlpool, and dry hop.  Each late addition should be about 0.75-0.8 oz per gallon (about 4 oz in 5 gallons).

With the exception of one time I dry hopped with Columbus and it was incredible, any other times I used it I ruined my beer even if only late.  Same goes with Chinook.  Real coarse lingering bitterness.  I used Chinook only in a dry hop and same thing happened.  Really wish I could use them because they both smell incredible.  I have been told backing off the amount really helps but I am pretty much staying away from using them.  Also consider using a fruity strain and ferment on the warmer side...     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:31 am »
Citra and Galaxy puppet here
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:45 am »
I like to bitter w Nugget.  Then 5 min w Citra and Columbus. I finish w Amarillo and Cascade in whirlpool and also for the dryhop. I'd also add 4-5% sugar to get it to finish dry.
I've not used Ekuanot, Idaho 7, Lemon Drop, and other new hop varieties. Too many in the freezer already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »
I like to bitter w Nugget.  Then 5 min w Citra and Columbus. I finish w Amarillo and Cascade in whirlpool and also for the dryhop. I'd also add 4-5% sugar to get it to finish dry.
I've not used Ekuanot, Idaho 7, Lemon Drop, and other new hop varieties. Too many in the freezer already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found lemon drop to impart a flavor somewhat like the lemon custard in lemon meringue pie, and it dominated and clashed with the other hop flavors when I made an IPA also with Columbus, centennial, amarillo, cascade and simcoe.  YMMV