Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewers Association Top 50 Breweries 2016  (Read 5466 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Brewers Association Top 50 Breweries 2016
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 10:35:47 am »
I remember when Yuengling lager launched in 1987.  By the time I turned 21, about 3 years later, you could walk into any bar and ask for a "Lager" and you got a Yuengling. Now that's pretty much all they are known for, but I remember them having a pretty decent porter back in the day.

It's still around, though harder to find. Usually I'll just have the liquor store special order it for me. (shops around here stock Yuengling, Light, and Black and Tan.) The Lord Chesterfield Ale is really good too, though even harder to find. (and not really an ale...)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:48 am »
I remember when Yuengling lager launched in 1987.  By the time I turned 21, about 3 years later, you could walk into any bar and ask for a "Lager" and you got a Yuengling. Now that's pretty much all they are known for, but I remember them having a pretty decent porter back in the day.

It's still around, though harder to find. Usually I'll just have the liquor store special order it for me. (shops around here stock Yuengling, Light, and Black and Tan.) The Lord Chesterfield Ale is really good too, though even harder to find. (and not really an ale...)

I buy the the Yuengling porter quite often, $6 a six pack is a real good price. I've never seen it in a bar. I only bought the Chesterfield Ale once and it was badly skunked so I never bought it again, if I could be sure it was fresh I would love to give it another try. The Black and Tan is OK but I do prefer the porter.
   They also brewed a seasonal bock that I enjoyed. Just did a search to for it and it appears they are no longer brewing it.
    Around here "lager" sold at nearly every bar.  They also brew something called "Premium Beer" that is a good, by my taste I think it has less of corn taste them the lager.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 11:01:29 am »
Just to be clear I lived in PA till '93. I remember drinking the Lord Chesterfield but don't remember at all if I enjoyed it. I saw the porter on the shelves here in the South East once a few years back but haven't in some time.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 01:51:38 pm »
Yeungling brewed a bock for a few years starting in 2010.  It was actually quite good IMHO.  I guess it just didn't make the sales volume numbers to make it viable.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

narvin

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 03:37:23 pm »
We stopped at Minhas after hitting New Glarus because we saw a sign on the road.  They have a cool beer memorabilia museum in the basement, which may have been left over from the previous owner (it is apparently the second oldest operating brewery in the country, after Yuengling).  The beer was 'crafty' swill that seemed to be targeted to the Canadian market (the owner was a businessman from Canada). Bad IPAs, high gravity grape flavored malt s***, etc.

So, I'm not really sure why they are considered craft.  I know there are some complex rules the BA has but it all seems like a pointless exercise designed to get breweries to do one thing: pay dues.

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »
I am happy to see Oregon listed several times :D
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal