Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upgrading my kettle and fermentation vessel.  (Read 3503 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Upgrading my kettle and fermentation vessel.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50:24 pm »
I bought the 10 gal SS kettle on cyber Monday with free shipping.  I love it but haven't figured out the pick up tube yet, might be worthless unless you can recirc with a pump during WP.  Maybe I'll have to try draining slowly as to not suck up the trub.  The kettle is actually 10.5 gal and has plenty of head space to avoid boil overs.   I chose the brewtech over spike because it has the return port at the top, which I plan to eventually use with pumps down the road. 

As of now I use the plastic big mouth and added a valve to transfer directly to kegs.  When I decide to get a SS fermentor, it's going to have a bottom valve to remove yeast and will be able to hold pressure for transferring.  But for now, I'm good with my $25 plastic. 

One thing I will recommend is to keep that 6 gal pot for your hot liquor.  Try adding a ball valve so you can drain straight to mash tun. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, drain slowly after good whirlpool and rest.
Will do on my next batch which will be a kölsch.  Last batch I did a WP and rest for 25 min at 60f and still picked up a bunch of trub.  Is that long enough? and How long do you rest?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 10:04:17 pm »
I rest about 20-30. I typically open my drain a bit past half way to get the tubing full and then back it off. Takes about 5 minutes to pull 5.5 gallons. You should also plan on losing half gallon or so if you don't already.

I do pump, but a good stir for a minute and rest is all that is needed. It doesn't need to be a massive whirlpool

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:04 am »
I rest about 20-30. I typically open my drain a bit past half way to get the tubing full and then back it off. Takes about 5 minutes to pull 5.5 gallons. You should also plan on losing half gallon or so if you don't already.

I do pump, but a good stir for a minute and rest is all that is needed. It doesn't need to be a massive whirlpool
I'll give that whirlon my next brew.   I think I have my ktl loss set anywhere from .5 to 1 gal depending on hop usage.  I used a mix stir that I use with my drill, I barely squeeze the trigger.