Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Big Brew May 6  (Read 1938 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
AHA Big Brew May 6
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:48:53 am »
What are your plans for the Big Brew? Will you brew one of the official recipes or strike out on your own?  Will you have a gathering and join in the official toast?

I stopped by the LHBS the other day, bought some ingredients for an English Pale Ale, and ran into Alestateyall and his friends for a pint. I recommended to the staff they join in the AHA Big Brew May 6th in celebration of National Homebrew Day.  The staff seemed to know nothing about it but welcomed the idea and said he'd be brewing the Saison.  I sent a note this AM with a link to the AHA site and will stop by in the next week or so to confirm their participation. If confirmed we may stop in and hang out a while, if not I'll fire up the hausbrauerie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:50:55 am by BrewBama »

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
Re: AHA Big Brew May 6
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:58 am »
Beaverton, Oregon Site:

My plan is to brew a modified (simpler, shorter brew) of the Rushmore IPA today and then in a week.  The idea will be to brew, bottle, label and try on May 6th.  I plan to send home with each visitor at least one bottle of beer.  This way they can observe all of the phases.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=4140
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:41:16 am by PharmBrewer »
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:28:51 am »
Having some helth issues so I'll be happy to be able to brew anything at all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
 :-\ - Sorry to hear that Denny.  Thinking good thoughts towards your health.
Jim

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:30:49 am »
Having some helth issues so I'll be happy to be able to brew anything at all.
Get well soon, Denny.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:33:51 am »
What are your plans for the Big Brew? Will you brew one of the official recipes or strike out on your own?  Will you have a gathering and join in the official toast?

I stopped by the LHBS the other day, bought some ingredients for an English Pale Ale, and ran into Alestateyall and his friends for a pint. I recommended to the staff they join in the AHA Big Brew May 6th in celebration of National Homebrew Day.  The staff seemed to know nothing about it but welcomed the idea and said he'd be brewing the Saison.  I sent a note this AM with a link to the AHA site and will stop by in the next week or so to confirm their participation. If confirmed we may stop in and hang out a while, if not I'll fire up the hausbrauerie.

My Dad is coming to visit at the end of May so I need a lager for him. I may brew the Oktoberfest. Not sure. He's more of Helles man.

But, if Wish You Were Beer does something I'd be happy to meet you there for a pint.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:51:11 am »

My Dad is coming to visit at the end of May so I need a lager for him. I may brew the Oktoberfest. Not sure. He's more of Helles man.

But, if Wish You Were Beer does something I'd be happy to meet you there for a pint.

I plan to check in with them. If they brew I'll be there for a pint at least. It's tough for SWMBO to just hang out for very long.

Sorry to hear of bad health Denny. Get well soon!

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:06 am »
Watch for sales right now for grain and extract kits from the big online home brew sites.  I think they are trying to help.
Jim

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 09:06:26 am »
Our club is setting up at Woodland Farms Brewery in Kittery, ME.  This brewery just opened a few months ago, and set up right in the middle of the Kittery Outlets...Genius!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=4108

Not sure any of us are brewing the offical recipes but we plan on participating in the official toast.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:15 am »
I'll be brewing an Irish Extra Stout alongside members of the Freestate Homebrew Club Guild.  It's a big event behind Maryland Homebrew.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=3960
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline BrewBama

AHA Big Brew May 6
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 12:55:55 pm »
I think it's great AHA wants to encourage brewing so they promote this event. That's cool. But then, why choose a Saison recipe with some obscure hops I doubt most LHBS(s) have?  Hops so obscure that they make a recommendation for substituting them right in the recipe.  I believe if you want to encourage brewing, you ought to recommend recipes with normally obtainable ingredients. I dunno.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »
I think it's great AHA wants to encourage brewing so they promote this event. That's cool. But then, why choose a Saison recipe with some obscure hops I doubt most LHBS(s) have?  Hops so obscure that they make a recommendation for substituting them right in the recipe.  I believe if you want to encourage brewing, you ought to recommend recipes with normally obtainable ingredients. I dunno.

The recipes were chosen because they're in the new edition of How to Brew, which will be out soon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »
Well, I guess that's good. Most new brewers end up using that reference.