Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg sanitation is over rated?  (Read 5030 times)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
Keg sanitation is over rated?
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:04 pm »
Over the years, I've wondered how critical it is to sanitize the keg before racking in the finished beer.  It's fermented, so what's the risk?  To begin with, I'm not one of those types that takes everything apart after each brew.  In fact, at best the kegs get a good take apart cleaning every 2,3 maybe 4 or 5 years. 

My standard MO is that when a keg kicks, I just disconnect the CO2 and store it full of CO2.  When I'm ready to fill, I just release the CO2, rinse and sanitize.  Works fine for me.

I recently kegged 10 gallons of Beerfan's SNPA clone into 2 kegs with just a water rinse (no sanitizer).  It seems to have worked fine.  I did this about a month ago, in preparation for the Oregon Country Fair in Denny's backyard.  We killed that keg (plus 2 more) at the Fair and everyone loved it.  I just tapped the other keg and, again, it tastes fine.  I plan to try and keep this keg around for awhile to see if any off flavors develop, but I don't see it happening.

Anyone else do this?  Please share your experiences.

My methods have served me well for many years, so please don't bother telling me how I need to clean everything all the time.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Keg sanitation is over rated?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
over time, an unnoticeable layer of crud will eventually build up which you will finally notice after you accidentally spill some sort of alkaline cleaner into the keg as you are getting ready to fill it with beer.  once you see how shiny the area where the cleaner was spilled, you may think again as to not cleaning your kegs.  i'm sure that as long as you are sanitizing them after a 'good' beer has been dispensed, you may be able to keep this regime up for a while, but it's not a really good habit to get into.  just my opinion.

Offline jimbo44

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:46 am »
It's kind of like the huge swine flu epidemic.  Everyone walked around with masks on their face.  The funny thing is, the eyes are much more susceptible to germs, but no one wears glasses. 
Point being I would imagine as long as the keg is clean then that technique would work fine.  the beer is fermented and has hops.  All things that can keep germs from growing.  It also is in cold conditions and that slows any critters from growing.  If your drinking your kegs within 3-5 months I would imagine it would be hard for off flavors to show up.  Especially with hoppy or heavy beers.  I would think a pils might show flavors quicker. 
Personally I'm like the people with masks on.  I PBW and Sanitize the parts every time before new beer comes in.  Even if it would be hard for any germs to grow in the beer.  Just a peace of mind thing I guess.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:36:14 am »
My methods have served me well for many years, so please don't bother telling me how I need to clean everything all the time.

Sounds like you don't want anyone to respond... ;)

One day, perhaps soon, perhaps not, you will have an issue and will remember this thread. Let's look at what goes into making a batch of beer:
5 hours to brew
2 weeks to ferment
1-2 hours of cleaning before and after fermentation

Now how long to clean and sanitize the keg to be absolutely sure you never have a problem...15 min

Face it, you're lazy ::) ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:42:40 am »
SBD, My routine is exactly like yours and I have never had a problem. About every 10th use I will give it an over night oxyclean soak.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:11:48 am »
i've read various threads on this topic. i for one clean everytime i rack on a new beer....but i've read about people that will go through 4 or 5 batches in a row in a keg without cleaning. truth probably lies somewhere in the grey area of what is necessary and what you can get away with, a concept that probably applies to almost everything in this hobby...but for my sanity, i like to tread on the more anal side of sanitation...just in case :)
Take it easy...

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:27:08 am »
I'm with MDixon on this one.  It takes such a minimal amount of time to take the keg apart and sanitize.  That said, if you haven't had any issues with just rinsing kegs out with water, good on ya!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:44 am »
Every now and then when I pop a keg and, as long as there is no yeast on the bottom, I will rack another beer right into that keg.  ;D That said, I usually sanitize and clean my kegs regularly, even running a brush up the dip tube. I also regularly boil my posts.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:25 am »
I am one to clean and sanitize after each use.  My maintenance is as follows:

1. rinse clean
2. PBW + hot tap water (overnight soak)
3. clean dip tube and posts
4. inspect o-rings
5. sanitize
6. rack beer to keg

All told an extra half hour (my time) of good cheap insurance.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:20:56 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:38:17 am »
After ever keg blows, hot water and Oxiclean overnight, rinse, rack, relax.
Just brew it...

Offline bearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:16 am »
I wait until I have bunch empty (let the empty kegs sit empty under pressure) then I will test for leaks,  break down and check o-orings if necessary and  then run cleaner through a jumper from one to another.  Then run Sanitizer through them and then store under pressure... I wait till a have a bunch cause I am lazy and it is not my favorite aspect of brewing but I know it is important.

I haven't seen any issues but eventually something will happen-- so what should I be on the watch out for?   what sort of off flavors etc?

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:08:50 am »
Commercial brewers use steam and some use caustic after that..................... all I need to know.

But
I racked some beer last night that will be drank in the next week or so and did a hot water rinse and then Star-San
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:23:06 am »

Sounds like you don't want anyone to respond... ;)

One day, perhaps soon, perhaps not, you will have an issue and will remember this thread. Let's look at what goes into making a batch of beer:
5 hours to brew
2 weeks to ferment
1-2 hours of cleaning before and after fermentation

Now how long to clean and sanitize the keg to be absolutely sure you never have a problem...15 min

Face it, you're lazy ::) ;D

It's not that I don't want anyone to respond.  I just envisioned the usual chorus of "you're nuts, I take everything apart, clean everything, every time........blah blah blah" While that's fine- I don't.  I never have.  I'm not envisioning this as my new SOP, but I admit I've wondered about it for a long time.  I finally had the balls to try and, it seems, my beer is fine.  I'm just hoping the sanitation police don't find me.

As for laziness- nah.  I'd just rather spend time w/ my wife and kids than wasting a bunch of time taking things apart.  I've been brewing for a very long time and my focus has become production (my wife drinks alot).  I brew about 10 recipes and I'm most interested in getting the most (good) beer in the least amount of time.  While I won't let the quality of my beer suffer, my procedures are very different from many of you.

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
Commercial brewers use steam and some use caustic after that..................... all I need to know.

But
I racked some beer last night that will be drank in the next week or so and did a hot water rinse and then Star-San

Interestingly, rinse and starsan is my usual method.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:24:21 am »
SBD, your process will be fine right up until it isn't.....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell