Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good deal on Zymatic  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Good deal on Zymatic
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 10:06:31 am »
Not just beer companies, anti alcohol groups as well. I'm sure retailer groups throw a few bucks towards protecting their market as well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 11:06:12 am »
Hey Tommy, congrats on your purchase I think you'll love it.

Since you will be brewing in a keg you may want one of these: https://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-cornypillar

Also, the one big improvement I have made is to take the keg/kettle off the Zymatic during the chilling process. The Zymatic will recirc the wort until you hit your target chilling temp, which is nice, but it foams like crazy. I just pull the keg off, use the chiller I linked, and use my diffusion stone to aerate. The other ncie thing about doing it this way is you can go ahead and knock out the clean up while the wrot is being chilled otherwise you'll have to do it after the chilling is finished.

I'd recommend figuring out how to use the 'advaced" software now because that was the hardest thing for me. It's actually very simple bu since you can access the manual and the recipe software on line it makes sense to go ahead and have it figured out  before the machine arrives.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:07 am »

Since you will be brewing in a keg you may want one of these: https://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-cornypillar

Also, the one big improvement I have made is to take the keg/kettle off the Zymatic during the chilling process. The Zymatic will recirc the wort until you hit your target chilling temp, which is nice, but it foams like crazy. I just pull the keg off, use the chiller I linked, and use my diffusion stone to aerate. The other ncie thing about doing it this way is you can go ahead and knock out the clean up while the wrot is being chilled otherwise you'll have to do it after the chilling is finished.

I'd recommend figuring out how to use the 'advaced" software now because that was the hardest thing for me. It's actually very simple bu since you can access the manual and the recipe software on line it makes sense to go ahead and have it figured out  before the machine arrives.

I agree on all counts.  I was able to chill my last batch to pitching temp in 4 min. with the Corny Pillar.  I also don't wait for the whole recirc/chill process on the Z.  Once the boil is done, I stop it, run a drain cycle, and chill the corny.  I don't worry about aeration since it's such a small batch.  And FTR, the advanced software is being rewritten to make it easier to use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 11:59:35 am »

I agree on all counts.  I was able to chill my last batch to pitching temp in 4 min. with the Corny Pillar.  I also don't wait for the whole recirc/chill process on the Z.  Once the boil is done, I stop it, run a drain cycle, and chill the corny.  I don't worry about aeration since it's such a small batch.  And FTR, the advanced software is being rewritten to make it easier to use.
I was thinking of disconnecting from the Z after boil, putting the keg in my chest freezer set to pitch temp, and then come back in a few hours to pitch. Not sure if that will cause foaming or not. But, it should chill pretty fast through the stainless.

Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:13:49 pm »

I was thinking of disconnecting from the Z after boil, putting the keg in my chest freezer set to pitch temp, and then come back in a few hours to pitch. Not sure if that will cause foaming or not. But, it should chill pretty fast through the stainless.

Thoughts?

That will work fine.  I did it before I got the Corny Pillar.  The Pillar just lets me get it all out of the way sooner.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »

Thoughts?

That will work fine.  I did it before I got the Corny Pillar.  The Pillar just lets me get it all out of the way sooner.
The corny pillar does look pretty awesome.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »
The corny pillar does look pretty awesome.

everything Jaded makes is awesome and I don't use that word easily

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
Glad to hear they are rewriting the advanced software. Though once you get the hang of it it is pretty easy to use and very fun to tinker with.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:54 pm »
Glad to hear they are rewriting the advanced software. Though once you get the hang of it it is pretty easy to use and very fun to tinker with.

Yep.  The only issue is that of you use the regular recipe crafter after the advanced, it wipes out what you did in the advanced.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
I ordered the Zymatic. $1379 shipped with full warranty and all the bells and whistles seems like a deal that won't come around again soon.

Agreed.  I just ordered one as well.

After 12 years of brewing, I honestly just don't want to spend 6 hours making wort anymore.  I'm really sick of it.

I mostly brew Belgian ales so using 9 lbs. of grain and 1 lb. of sugar, it looks like I can get 4.75 gallons of 1.057 wort from a brew session, which is good enough for me.

I may try to make some low oxygen modifications, but I get the feeling I'll have to bust out my full rig for proper low O2 brewing.  I'm ok with that though. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 04:33:27 pm »
I went from making all sorts of mods on mine (removing poppets, not using anti-foam topper, using a second dip tube) to going back and using it exactly as the manufacturer suggests and couldn't be happier with the results. I've always beena  little paranoid about HSA and have always taken steps to minimize its effects (whether real or imagined) but I have to admit I don't pick up any HSA flaws on the beers. I will say that I brew these to be consumed young.

Looking forward to using mine all next week! Pretty fun little toy.

Offline BrewBama

Good deal on Zymatic
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »
Nice score Tommy. I look forward to hearing how you like it. I'm still in the Cheap and Easy camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Good deal on Zymatic
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »
Nice score Tommy. I look forward to hearing how you like it. I'm still in the Cheap and Easy camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheap and easy is my biggest debate. My wife is lobbying that one of my favorite parts of brewing is disappearing in the basement for 4 hours. She thinks the Zymatic violates that principal.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:19:03 pm by alestateyall »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 08:30:56 am »
What kind of efficiency range do you guys get with the Zymatic? If you answer, can you please also say what mash profile you are using?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 08:58:41 am »
What kind of efficiency range do you guys get with the Zymatic? If you answer, can you please also say what mash profile you are using?

I've never thought about it actually.  I get whatever they predict since my OG is nearly always what the recipe crafter says it should be.

www.dennybrew.com