Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Club Night 2017  (Read 10699 times)

Offline sapperbrew

• 1st Kit
Club Night 2017
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:58:36 pm »
Hello all...

A small contingent of brewers from my club will be going to Homebrew Con for the first time this year and we are serving at club night.

We have gotten some feedback from a member of a neighboring club on what to expect, what to plan for, etc.

We have all read through the first timers guide to Homebrew Con and all of that but looking for information from those that have attended before aside from "there will be a ton of beer, don't try to drink it all."

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: Club Night 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
Think Mardi Gras with home brew! It will be the best night of your life. (If you're married, it's probably best not to mention that to your wife.)
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:02 pm »
My lame strategy is to try beers from those I know that make good beer. I also rely on word of mouth from those I know that say, "Go to both X and try beer Y!". You can't try them all these days.

If you are pouring, and people come to your booth and say "I was told by Z that I have to try this beer, it is a great example", then you are doing it right. If the big names come around and try your beer, and smile and nod, you are doing it right.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:40 pm »
Ridiculous costumes are optional.

Offline sapperbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »
See this is a big question of ours. We are kind of doing a theme for our booth but it will be totally chill and no crazy costumes. We were essentially told that nobody will drink our beer because of that.

My thought is that if the beer is good, it won't matter what we are dressed up like...as long as we are actually dressed.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:17 am »
My lame strategy is to try beers from those I know that make good beer.

Ugh, this old dude won't stop following me around.   8)

Offline Schemy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:38 am »
See this is a big question of ours. We are kind of doing a theme for our booth but it will be totally chill and no crazy costumes. We were essentially told that nobody will drink our beer because of that.

My thought is that if the beer is good, it won't matter what we are dressed up like...as long as we are actually dressed.

My guess is that if you believe you need a theme to get people to drink your beer, then it's probably not good enough in the first place.  Focus on your brewing. 
Schemy

Offline sapperbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 07:28:24 am »

My guess is that if you believe you need a theme to get people to drink your beer, then it's probably not good enough in the first place.  Focus on your brewing.
See, I don't think a theme is necessary. Fun? Sure. Required to give away beer...for free? No, not really.

Offline Schemy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:48 am »

See, I don't think a theme is necessary. Fun? Sure. Required to give away beer...for free? No, not really.

And what varieties of free beer is your club going to be offering? 
Schemy

Offline sapperbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 07:43:14 am »

Oh, a decent selection I believe. Saison, Pils, Vienna and then some other fun ones

Offline Schemy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 08:01:39 am »

Oh, a decent selection I believe. Saison, Pils, Vienna and then some other fun ones

I see.  I think I have you guys pegged already.  I'm guessing you're the type of club that will doctor up a Blonde Ale with coffee or lime and pass it off as fun.  Probably have one of those New England IPA's on your menu too. Probably name a dank IPA with a weed reference. I bet you guys even thought of trying to bring in a Wavy Arm Inflatable Guy to draw people to your booth. 
Schemy

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 08:19:08 am »

Except that no one will know the beer is good if you can't get them to your booth to try it.  Themes and costumes are one way to do that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:29:50 am »
Think Mardi Gras with home brew!

We have either been to some drastically different Club Nights, or some drastically different Mardi Gras. lol

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:07 am »
Think Mardi Gras with home brew!

We have either been to some drastically different Club Nights, or some drastically different Mardi Gras. lol
I hear you Toby. Never been to NHC, but I have been to NO several times, once for Mardi Gras and I suppose I would have made a larger effort to get to NHC if I thought I could find a good use for all of these beads
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 12:02:47 pm »
My lame strategy is to try beers from those I know that make good beer.

Ugh, this old dude won't stop following me around.   8)
You? Ciders and meads please.  8)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!