Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moving to dry yeast exclusively  (Read 15736 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Moving to dry yeast exclusively
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 10:36:14 am »
The yeast bay has new packaging that is a huge improvement from past types. Basically a mini Styrofoam cooler that your yeast comes in. Sorry about your dead yeast

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 10:36:25 am »
So four packets... into a 1.038 starter wort.  Nothing.  Zip. Zero. Nada.

Did you check the gravity?  I've had starters ferment out overnight and look totally dead.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:59 am »
Same here.  I am like 95% dry.  Now that most all of us would agree the dry is considered as good as liquid, I say it's just a matter of time before we get more dry strains.  Due to life and schedule I was "forced" to dry, boy what surprise!  Sure 05 worked fine but I tried with SO4 and had good results so on a whim I decided to try WB06 on a hefe and it was the game changer for me.  The key is to review the results of posters and see if the flavor profile matches what you are after.  IE WB06 is NOT a banana clove hefe yeast.  It is the apricot/vanilla bright type.  I did a NGP with 3470 at low 60s and it was fab as well.  (I am BJCP btw)

Abbaye all the way on that!  I suspect it is Rochefort.  I really wish someone would get a dry yeast origin chart going.  IE belle saison is 3711, SO4 is Whitbread, WB06 is 3638, etc. 

Note to self: start a US dry yeast company.  ;D

"I say it's just a matter of time before we get more dry strains"....I think it's more a matter of biology.  There are a lot of strains that just don't dry well I'm told.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
Same here.  I am like 95% dry.  Now that most all of us would agree the dry is considered as good as liquid, I say it's just a matter of time before we get more dry strains.  Due to life and schedule I was "forced" to dry, boy what surprise!  Sure 05 worked fine but I tried with SO4 and had good results so on a whim I decided to try WB06 on a hefe and it was the game changer for me.  The key is to review the results of posters and see if the flavor profile matches what you are after.  IE WB06 is NOT a banana clove hefe yeast.  It is the apricot/vanilla bright type.  I did a NGP with 3470 at low 60s and it was fab as well.  (I am BJCP btw)

Abbaye all the way on that!  I suspect it is Rochefort.  I really wish someone would get a dry yeast origin chart going.  IE belle saison is 3711, SO4 is Whitbread, WB06 is 3638, etc. 

I'm working on a couple of equivalency experiments myself this year, but I'm also very busy at the moment and haven't brewed in months so it's going to take way longer than I'd like.  FWIW, for several years already, I've been collecting notes from all over the interwebs about dry yeasts trying to figure out what's what.  If anyone ever wants to ask for my notes for their own experiments, let me know and I might be able to give you a couple ideas of what *might* be equivalent but that I probably haven't tested myself yet.  If we all work together I think this would go much quicker than if I just try to do it myself -- that would probably take 10 or 15 years!  I'm always either so busy and/or so lazy, it ain't funny.  But I do have tasting notes collected from all over the place, many of which are tallied with the most common comments rising to a top summary kind of thing.  Sources, not recorded, there would be way too many.  Just summarized notes.  I'm somewhat of an absent minded professor, not the greatest at keeping organized, but hey, it's a starting point if nothing else.  I also might have notes to the effect of such and such yeast is "definitely NOT equivalent" or some such thing.  Sometimes half the battle is knowing what NOT to try!  But yes..... I fully intend that eventually I shall become a >95% dry yeast brewer.

Also, very funny you should mention Abbaye, WB-06, and 3638..... those are precisely 3 of the yeasts that I have selected to play with and have in my fridge right now!  I intend to underpitch the living heck out of all of these to stress them out big time.  No mrmalty.com size pitches, or if I do then it would be as a "control" batch only, not expecting big flavors from a normal size pitch.  Trying to confirm whether an underpitch is effective at improving flavors in hefes and Belgians, while also toying with different strains to see what does what.  The trouble with all my experiments is that I always seem to want to test 3 or 4 variables at the same time.  I can only split a small 2-gallon batch so many different ways before it becomes a few ounces of this batch or the other, and it makes little sense for me to brew bigger batches because I don't drink much either.  I'm truly messed up I guess!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:06:32 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 03:08:41 pm »
Am I the only one who has had better luck with liquid yeast as opposed to dry yeast?

I've tried rehydrating, pitching straight, pitching two packs straight as opposed to one, two hydrated packs, etc...but the beers are never as if they were pitched with liquid yeast.

And I'm talking about US-05 and S-04. I agree, it makes no sense, but I haven't had much luck with dry yeast.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:00 pm »
Am I the only one who has had better luck with liquid yeast as opposed to dry yeast?

Nope. Not exactly better luck for the most part, but I just plain like liquid cultures better. I find S05 consistently more powdery and slower to clear as compared to 1056. I know many others do just fine with it. I don't brew British styles any more, so I'll skip the yeast debate there. But as for Belgians, just zero comparison with the liquid Belgian strains IMO. I do keep Belle around to finish up a 3724 fermentation, though, and like it fairly well but not necessarily solo. As for lagers, I just prefer 2206 for every non-Pils lager. Just my preference, I don't expect everybody to agree. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:39:26 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »

I've tried rehydrating, pitching straight, pitching two packs straight as opposed to one, two hydrated packs, etc...but the beers are never as if they were pitched with liquid yeast.

And I'm talking about US-05 and S-04. I agree, it makes no sense, but I haven't had much luck with dry yeast.

Are you just experiencing the differences between strains?  I mean, 05 is NEVER gonna be like 001 and 001 is NEVER going to be like 1056.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 07:25:12 pm »
 I decided to go with mangrove Jack's M31. We'll see how it works.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:48 pm »
I've only had one issue with liquid. I'm not a fan of dry, but sometimes it makes sense. I keep several packs just in case. I've read good things about M31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:35 pm »
Didn't know the Mangrove stuff was dry...  For some reason I was turned off with the name and dismissed it/never looked it up until now. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Moving to dry yeast exclusively
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 05:12:02 am »
I've only used the MJ Cali Common. I had a great experience. I hope yours turns out as well. Let us know how it goes

I like the descriptions and chart they provide for suggested styles for their yeast: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/8620/files/72539_V3_MJ_CS_Yeast_Bk_WEB.pdf?5432139801183846214

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:22:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:17 am »
Didn't know the Mangrove stuff was dry...  For some reason I was turned off with the name and dismissed it/never looked it up until now. 

I haven't used any of the Mangrove stuff. I've heard and read several accounts here and from brewer friends of subpar attenuation on some of their strains. High FGs aren't a good selling point for me. I'm sure it's probably not across the board.
Jon H.

jrdatta

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 06:28:50 am »

If you are pitching two packs of dry for a 5 gallon batch you are pitching big lager size cell counts so that could be effecting it some. But I also agree with Denny that with US-05 it is probably due to the difference in strains between different labs' chico. US-05 seems to break phenolic and spicy compared to wlp001/1056 at least in my experience.

Also S-04 being a British strain you need to pitch a lot less of it than the chico strain to get the right profile for it. For a standard gravity batch of 5 gallons you are looking at like half a pack (there are some real maths on it that Kris England goes into in a chop and brew episode (the RSE one)).

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 07:38:13 am »

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 07:55:28 am »
I have been using dry yeast for years, but you have to be careful. First the amount of fermentable medium you use and temperature is critical.   I alway take my yeast out of the frig. to warm to room temp. Only 4 oz. of water at 90 degrees. ONLY sprinkle on top do not stir in. Let it rehydrate for a least 15-20 minutes. Add the rehydrated yeast to 16 oz. starter @ a 1.040 gravity. I used dry DME.
I always make 24 hr. starters. But in a pinch, when things just happens, 2  dry yeast packs, but after you aerate only sprinkle the yeast on top and let it slowly rehydrate on it's own. (Don't drown them, its all about hydraulics).
Hope this helps
Good Brewing