Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moving to dry yeast exclusively  (Read 15739 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Moving to dry yeast exclusively
« on: May 07, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
I was planning to brew a Belgian Dark Strong tomorrow.  I found 2 expired (but just January) packs of yeast at one LHBS, and ordered two more from MoreBeer out of CA.  I paid extra for the 'cool pack'  because even though it is Spring, stuff happens.  The packs from CA arrived at ambient temperature.  No residual coolness at all.

So four packets... into a 1.038 starter wort.  Nothing.  Zip. Zero. Nada.

I've had it.  We have two LHBS's in Yakima.  Last Fall I had the same experience with yeast from the other LHBS, so I went back to the store with a thermometer and stuck it in their yeast 'fridge.'  27*!

Yeast costs way too much to be rolling the dice with dead packets.  Dry yeast it is.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Moving to dry yeast exclusively
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »
If there were all the a strains I wanted to use as dry, so would I.  Unfortunately that's not the case.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
I use mostly dry yeast. But yeah, certain styles just aren't the same with dry yeast, so I take the chance every once in a long while to buy some liquid kolsch or biere de garde yeast.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »
I use mostly dry yeast. But yeah, certain styles just aren't the same with dry yeast, so I take the chance every once in a long while to buy some liquid kolsch or biere de garde yeast.

I make mainly American styles and don't care for US-05 so I'm stuck.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:36:44 pm »
I've had brilliant success with Williams Brewing. Good Price, arrives cool, no extra charges necessary. Maybe give them a try.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 03:47:12 pm »
For me in Spokane when ordering from MoreBeer, I've found it helps to buy four ice packs for two packs of liquid yeast, and more in summer, and via online delivery notification be sure I can get home within about 15 minutes from time of delivery on my porch.  Shipping up here and coming from warm California, in my experience we need thermal protection that only extra ice packs can provide...usually.  That's worked for me without having to pay overnight shipping.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Moving to dry yeast exclusively
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:28 pm »
I went to dry a while back. Like you I am tired of gambling with liquid. I can brew plenty of styles that keep me happy.

Denny -- have you tried a Bry-97? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:38:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »
If there were all the a strains I wanted to use as dry, so would I.  Unfortunately that's not the case.

That is true.  Nowhere can one find 1450 except in liquid form, and that is a great yeast.  But the range is getting greater all the time!  I think I'll go with Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian tripel for tomorrow.  But that's assuming what I ordered will be there!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 07:06:05 pm »
"I was planning to brew a Belgian Dark Strong tomorrow.  I found 2 expired (but just January) packs of yeast at one LHBS, and ordered two more from MoreBeer out of CA.  I paid extra for the 'cool pack'  because even though it is Spring, stuff happens.  The packs from CA arrived at ambient temperature.  No residual coolness at all."

I live in the Sacramento area and order from MoreBeer all the time, from the Pittsburg, CA location you ordered from. Whenever I order liquid yeast from them I always pay for the cool pack thing. I always get the order the day after it ships because of how close I am, and the yeast and ice pack (even in the insulated envelope) have always been ambient temp. They have never been cold, or even slightly cool, upon receipt. I suspect they just slightly refrigerate the ice packs rather than freeze them, so that they warm up quickly. It's a bummer. So I try not to order yeast from MoreBeer. On the other hand, I also order a lot from Williams Brewing (in San Leandro, CA, same general area as MoreBeer). And from them, I always receive cold yeast, even if I order just the ice pack and not the warranty yeast-shipper thing. I'd go with Williams over MoreBeer if ordering liquid yeast.

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:58 pm »
As a brewer of primarily monastic inspired Belgian beers, dry yeast is no bueno

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

That is true.  Nowhere can one find 1450 except in liquid form, and that is a great yeast.  But the range is getting greater all the time!  I think I'll go with Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian tripel for tomorrow.  But that's assuming what I ordered will be there!

It's surprising you don't have a good LHBS.  With all the beer activity in the area I would have thought it was a given.

www.dennybrew.com

jrdatta

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 09:01:52 am »
As a brewer of primarily monastic inspired Belgian beers, dry yeast is no bueno

What about the fermentis Abbaye?  Reportedly good results if you under pitch it.  I have only used it as a re-yeast for bottling but was planning on splitting a batch of patersbier and comparing it to 3787.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:50 am »

This is my approach as well. If there was a solid dry kolsch yeast out there I probably would use 100% dry yeast. It all comes down to what styles you brew. These days mine are mostly lagers, American ales, or some type of hybrid/non-traditional style

I primarily use 05, 34/70, and K97 but will use S04 and Belle Saison once a year or so.

When I do use liquid, I have grown quite fond of Imperial.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:27 am »

This is my approach as well. If there was a solid dry kolsch yeast out there I probably would use 100% dry yeast. It all comes down to what styles you brew. These days mine are mostly lagers, American ales, or some type of hybrid/non-traditional style

I primarily use 05, 34/70, and K97 but will use S04 and Belle Saison once a year or so.

When I do use liquid, I have grown quite fond of Imperial.
Count me in the same camp. I don't have a LHBS with hours that work for my work and family schedule, plus a lot of my brew days are relatively short notice. I keep enough grain and hops on hand to throw together almost any recipe I'd want on short notice, and dry yeast keeps me covered on the yeast side as well.

I primarily use 34/70, US-05 and Belle Saison, plus 71B for mead and D47 for cider. I'll occasionally use S-04 and BRY-97. I also need to do more experimenting with Danstar's London ESB,

If I want to brew with a liquid yeast, I need to plan it out in advance and order onine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 10:35:37 am »
Same here.  I am like 95% dry.  Now that most all of us would agree the dry is considered as good as liquid, I say it's just a matter of time before we get more dry strains.  Due to life and schedule I was "forced" to dry, boy what surprise!  Sure 05 worked fine but I tried with SO4 and had good results so on a whim I decided to try WB06 on a hefe and it was the game changer for me.  The key is to review the results of posters and see if the flavor profile matches what you are after.  IE WB06 is NOT a banana clove hefe yeast.  It is the apricot/vanilla bright type.  I did a NGP with 3470 at low 60s and it was fab as well.  (I am BJCP btw)

Abbaye all the way on that!  I suspect it is Rochefort.  I really wish someone would get a dry yeast origin chart going.  IE belle saison is 3711, SO4 is Whitbread, WB06 is 3638, etc. 

Note to self: start a US dry yeast company.  ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH