Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kitchen Knives  (Read 32179 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Kitchen Knives
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 02:29:21 pm »
I have a 9 inch henkle santuko that I bought as my first 'nice' knife about 7 years ago and I use daily. I also have the 6 inch french chefs, 6 inch santuko that I hardly ever use unless my big santuko is dirty, a cheapish paring and a really cheap stamped henkle bread knife. I can't imagine ever needing to buy more knives at this point. Maybe a new bread knife down the line somewhere.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »
I have one of these...

I have yet to use it in the kitchen, though.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
I have a set of Chicago Cutlery knives that I want to replace with some really good knives.
I've been doing a little research and have found that alot of chefs like the Japanese stainless knives.

Like this Global. Pricey though.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=135722&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fgourmetfood%2Eabout%2Ecom%2Fod%2Fwheretobuygourmetfoods%2Ftp%2Fchefknife%2Ehtm
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 02:34:14 am »
I have one of these...

I have yet to use it in the kitchen, though.

Hey, that's an enfield bayonet right? My dad has one exactly like this, and a matching Enfield 308 from WWI, both complete with a King's Armory stamp.

Don't think it'll work for the filet mignon, though I'm sure you could bag a Turkey.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 02:36:02 am »
I have a set of Chicago Cutlery knives that I want to replace with some really good knives.
I've been doing a little research and have found that alot of chefs like the Japanese stainless knives.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=135722&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fgourmetfood%2Eabout%2Ecom%2Fod%2Fwheretobuygourmetfoods%2Ftp%2Fchefknife%2Ehtm

One of the most important things when choosing a set of knives is to see how it feels in your hand. Global is nice, but it doesn't fit my hand well; my Wustofs fit perfectly. Make sure you go to some place like Sur La Table to try a bunch of different handle styles, and pick the one that's most comfortable. Don't spend a lot of money on flashy knives because if they're not comfortable, you'll never use them, and that would be sad.
----

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 06:16:29 am »
Hey, that's an enfield bayonet right? My dad has one exactly like this, and a matching Enfield 308 from WWI, both complete with a King's Armory stamp.

Don't think it'll work for the filet mignon, though I'm sure you could bag a Turkey.

Yep, that specific one isn't mine, but I have the 1907 Wilkinson bayonet with my 1918 Lee Enfield SMLE No1MKIII*.  Years ago I used to shoot it, now its a wall hanger and my newer (WWII era) No4MkI Enfields are more for shooting.  Those bayonets are pretty fearsome, like a small sword.  Read a story about a Boer War engagement where the Brits were finally about to charge the enemy position, and upon hearing the cry to fix bayonets, the Dutchies promptly lost heart and sent up the white flag.

Sorry for the threadjack.  British military history is one of my other obsessions.  Ummm...on topic...I hardly use any other knives now than my Forschner 8" chefs.  I'll clean it every time rather than get one of my other already clean knives.  Great buy!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:47 am »

One of the most important things when choosing a set of knives is to see how it feels in your hand. Global is nice, but it doesn't fit my hand well; my Wustofs fit perfectly. Make sure you go to some place like Sur La Table to try a bunch of different handle styles, and pick the one that's most comfortable. Don't spend a lot of money on flashy knives because if they're not comfortable, you'll never use them, and that would be sad.

Great advice. You're not the first person who has told me that.  I will definitely try them out for size, fit and feel before I make a purchase.
Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
We have a set of Wusthof's that are probably 30 years old.  We've had to replace the paring knife and the carver (which I broke on a piece of frozen cheese, don't ask :-X)  They are the best AFAIAC.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:17 am »
I like my henckels and just had them sharpened - wow, what a difference!

ATK liked a relatively cheap chef's knife, around $30.  A Victorinox I think.  Bouef.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »
ATK liked a relatively cheap chef's knife, around $30.  A Victorinox I think.  Bouef.

ATK? Is that like SWMBO?

I'd also recommend something slightly more underhanded, which is, once you go to the store and find the knife that's right for you, order the actual set on Amazon. Typically wayyyy cheaper. The AHA used to have an affiliate code but I dunno where to find it, if you use it your purchase will send like 1% of the purchase price to AHA.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:22 pm »

ATK? Is that like SWMBO?
Sorry, it's America's Test Kitchen.  They have a TV show and website and stuff, really great cookbooks too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:17:41 pm by onthekeg »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:41 pm »
thought about this thread the other day. our annual visit by kid from solingen germany is coming up near easter.  hoping for another robert herder rostfrei knife.  still my favorite 
Don AHA member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »
Gordon, I've been thinking of getting a Boos board, but when I look at reviews on the web I find quite a few people who are dissatisfied with them due to splitting.  How old is yours and have you had any trouble with it?  How do you care for it?

I;ve got a bambo cutting board. What's the difference between that and a Boos board? Should I set my bambo board on fire, and replace it?  :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:26 am »
a Boos board is a high-quality board and a great tool, but a bamboo board will work very well and should serve many years. I've read that they also provide some anti-bacterial protection. generally you want to use a wood, bamboo or composite plastic board. having several boards in varying sizes is very helpful is you do much cooking. you don't want to cut on glass, marble, steel, glass etc. all of these will dull a knife, roll the edge, etc.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL