Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Fermentation Temp  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Yeast Fermentation Temp
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:56 am »
Thanks to all for the responses.  Guess I'll be trying lower temps for the next several brews.  Do you apply the lower temps for all the yeasts you use or is it yeast specific?
strain specific. And remember, the info you are getting here are opinions formed through trial and error, not gospel. I like the chico strain around 68.

A great way to determine what you like is to split the batch and ferment it at two separate temperatures.

Then you can test them side by side.  Same wort, same yeast, different temps.  It can be revealing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:30:08 am »
To me, the pitch temp is more critical than the remainder of ferment.  Be sure to measure it.  For a few years, I chilled to 80ish and assumed an overnight stay in the fridge set at my fermentation temps would lower it but NOT SO! 

Interesting to see confirmation high temp pitching affecting head retention, never seen that before but that is exactly my experience as well.  OMG the headache bombs I made on my first few belgians!
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:53 am »
Thanks to all for the responses.  Guess I'll be trying lower temps for the next several brews.  Do you apply the lower temps for all the yeasts you use or is it yeast specific?
strain specific. And remember, the info you are getting here are opinions formed through trial and error, not gospel. I like the chico strain around 68.

I recently broke one of my 2.5 gallon fermenters and have been unable to do split batches for the last couple months. Really is a bummer.

A great way to determine what you like is to split the batch and ferment it at two separate temperatures.

Then you can test them side by side.  Same wort, same yeast, different temps.  It can be revealing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:04 am »
To me, the pitch temp is more critical than the remainder of ferment.  Be sure to measure it.  For a few years, I chilled to 80ish and assumed an overnight stay in the fridge set at my fermentation temps would lower it but NOT SO! 

Interesting to see confirmation high temp pitching affecting head retention, never seen that before but that is exactly my experience as well.  OMG the headache bombs I made on my first few belgians!

Agreed with all of this. As for foam, fusels are often a negative
for foam quality, and of course a positive for nasty headaches. Been there.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 05:07:25 pm »

Agreed with all of this. As for foam, fusels are often a negative
for foam quality, and of course a positive for nasty headaches. Been there.

Ha!  No doubt.  Not fun for the next day at all!