Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adjusting my RO Water  (Read 4818 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Adjusting my RO Water
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:29 am »
I've been using an RO filter for almost a year and for the most part, my beers have shown a good improvement.
However, I've noticed an almost metallic type bite to a few and though I've tried a few water calculators, I've found Bru'n Water to work best for me.
My question is, since I haven't used acidic malts or lactic acid, would I be better off using some lactic acid and reduce the gypsum, calcium chloride and epsom a bit more? 
I make mostly IPA's and pale ales and stouts and my darker beers are much more enjoyable and I don't seem to have any problems with them. The aroma has greatly improved and the beers aren't bad but just not great.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Adjusting my RO Water
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:45 am »
Measure TDS recently? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
Yes, every time.  Usually under 10.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:39 pm »
Any rust or iron in your system? Even a small bit in the kettle can cause and off flavor.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »
Nope, my water is pretty darn good as it is for many beers.
I keep wondering if my ph meter is off though I've got 2 and they both read very similar. 
I've wondered if there is a slight infection going on to cause an off flavor and may try some Iodopher instead of Star San next brew day just in case something funky has visited.
I keep a very clean brew shop and never have had an infection. Got a keezer to keep the ferementers at 65-66 so I don't believe either of those are the culprit.
Still very drinkable.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »
What is you mash pH target? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:46 pm »
5.3-5.35

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:36 pm »
The hashness could be coming from excess magnesium in the epsom salts.  What levels of magnesum do you have?

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »
Thanks for the idea.  My year old water report shows 11 ppg magnesium. I've not idea what the RO filter removes and many of my beers I add 2-4 grams of epsom depending on the grist.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:40 pm »
RO should get take most Mg that is present in tap out.  That sounds like a bit much.  How much ppm Mg does BNW show?  Over 30?  I never use epsom and use gypsum (ALOT) to sulfate load for IPA. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:39 pm »
I've been using an RO filter for almost a year and for the most part, my beers have shown a good improvement.
However, I've noticed an almost metallic type bite to a few and though I've tried a few water calculators, I've found Bru'n Water to work best for me.
My question is, since I haven't used acidic malts or lactic acid, would I be better off using some lactic acid and reduce the gypsum, calcium chloride and epsom a bit more? 
I make mostly IPA's and pale ales and stouts and my darker beers are much more enjoyable and I don't seem to have any problems with them. The aroma has greatly improved and the beers aren't bad but just not great.
FWIW, my Sulfate/Chloride Ratio is 5.3,
I get 221ppm from gypsum and 41ppm from Epsom salt. I get  45ppm chloride from CaCl and 4ppm from RO water then I use Lactic acid to bring the mash pH down to 5.3

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »
Won't overcarbing possibly give a twangy, metallic taste?  On a few of these I did set rate up to 30 psi for 24 hours then down to serving psi.  It certainly doesn't feel overcarbed.
But the most recent batch I brewed I tasted before I kegged and it was milder but it was still there. 

I'm definitely trying a few new things this weekend to see if there's a difference.  Lactic acid being one and I may shoot for a higher ph to see how that works out.

Thanks for all the help.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:18:52 am »
Would it hurt to add 1/2 a campden tablet to my RO water just as a precaution?   ;l

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 09:31:27 am »
Would it hurt to add 1/2 a campden tablet to my RO water just as a precaution?   ;l
Shouldn't be needed with RO if your concern is chlorine or chloramine.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »
RO systems have a carbon filter element to remove chlorine and chloramines, cause chlorine will eat through the membrane, rendering the filter ineffective. So you don't need it for RO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!