Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why buy a 22" WSM  (Read 12352 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2017, 01:05:59 pm »
Santa came through.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2017, 02:00:58 pm »
Stevie, I bet you tore through the paper pretty fast and furiously on that one. I hope you get to use for the holidays.

Here’s 2 Costco Boneless Butts about to come off the WSM.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2017, 02:38:39 pm »
Smoke some St Louis Spares and a whole chicken yesterday. I was trying to have the water pan dry for most the chicken to get the skin crisp, but I missed the mark by about a gallon and didn’t care enough to fuss with the pan. Chicken looked good, but most of
The flavor was in the skin which went into the trash. Using it for soup tomorrow. One of the spares had so much meat on it.

I’m tryin to find some easy space fillers to justify using it. Boneless skinless breasts are awesome brined and easy to squeeze in. Italian dressing drumsticks are great too.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2017, 03:22:58 pm »
New toy. Couple of advantages.
Weber manual thermometer was reading 205° on the lid while this was reading 255° on the lower rack.  This made me think one of the two was way off, because the lid should be hotter.  Stuck my thermapen through the top vent and got 275°!
Probably would have never checked if I didn't buy this.  Now I've got one probe monitoring the pit temp while the other is in my pork shoulder.  Later in the day I'll add a rack of ribs and some wings.  Ribs and pork shoulder have my rub, the wings will just get smoked before going in the fryer and then dosed with Jon's Korean sauce recipe. 

I just realized my 2 weber charcoal grill thermometers were off the same amount! I cant believe they are that far off. Im going to try cleaning the probe on the inside of the kettle but cant imagine thats it. I have to check the gas one now too!!!!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Jimmykx250

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2017, 04:45:44 pm »
Smoke some St Louis Spares and a whole chicken yesterday. I was trying to have the water pan dry for most the chicken to get the skin crisp, but I missed the mark by about a gallon and didn’t care enough to fuss with the pan. Chicken looked good, but most of
The flavor was in the skin which went into the trash. Using it for soup tomorrow. One of the spares had so much meat on it.

I’m tryin to find some easy space fillers to justify using it. Boneless skinless breasts are awesome brined and easy to squeeze in. Italian dressing drumsticks are great too.

Looks good.

For crisp chicken skin try removing the pan and set it aside, spatchcock the chicken, and top it with a couple alum foil wrapped bricks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2017, 05:07:42 pm »
I was trying to get it done in one cook where the temp would essentially spike right before the ribs needed to be pulled and just after I added the chicken. Essentially taking it from 250-350 was the goal. Never got over 275

Offline BrewBama

Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2018, 10:02:37 am »
I was trying to get it done in one cook where the temp would essentially spike right before the ribs needed to be pulled and just after I added the chicken. Essentially taking it from 250-350 was the goal. Never got over 275

One trick I’ve learned to get in the 350*F range is to lay a metal skewer between the center section and lid. Some folks go so far as to cut holes and install another exhaust daisy wheel. More exhaust creates a larger ‘chimney’ pull therefore causes the fire to burn hotter.  I apply the skewer trick for all higher heat cooks.

One thing I am anxious to try is Himalayan salt block spatchcocked chicken.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:10:32 am by BrewBama »