Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why buy a 22" WSM  (Read 12351 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Why buy a 22" WSM
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:13:03 pm »
In the future, when people ask why buy a 22" WSM I think I am just going to show this photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Re: Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »
That's a big brisket!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:00:41 pm »
WSM?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »
WSM?
Weber Smokey Mountain

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:38 pm »
Nice smoker!  I love my WSM18 but I was torn between the 18 and 22.  I've smoked 3 birds and a pork shoulder on it at one time, but havent done a brisket yet.  I'd likely buy a smaller brisket, or cut a big one in half if it wouldn't fit, though I've heard wedging a larger brisket between the handles works well too.  Either way, they're great smokers that turn out some great meats!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:46:15 pm »
Nice smoker!  I love my WSM18 but I was torn between the 18 and 22.  I've smoked 3 birds and a pork shoulder on it at one time, but havent done a brisket yet.  I'd likely buy a smaller brisket, or cut a big one in half if it wouldn't fit, though I've heard wedging a larger brisket between the handles works well too.  Either way, they're great smokers that turn out some great meats!

If you get one wedge it between the handles. They shrink when cooked. This one turned out awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:02:55 pm »
Spitting a brisket into point and flat isn't too tough. It also allows for a bit better control as the two parts don't cook at the same rate. But yeah, I want a 22

Offline tommymorris

Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:02 pm »
Okay. You convinced me. I just put in my order. I was going to order a 18", based on this thread I ordered a 22" WSM.  I gotta trust Dwain here, and Stevie has been to TX, so, I am sure he's tasted good brisket before :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:10:32 pm by alestateyall »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:42:58 am »
Go to The Virtual Weber Bullet for great info: http://virtualweberbullet.com/. Cook some chickens at high heat, or a pound of bacon, etc to get some seasoning in it. Otherwise the first few cooks will run hot. Once seasoned it is set it and forget it for hours.

BTW: I'm Texas born and raised.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 12:28:00 pm »
BTW: I'm Texas born and raised.
Me, too!

Thanks.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 09:37:41 am »
WSM?
Weber Smokey Mountain

Silly me, I thought it meant Winchester Short Magnum.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »
Bigger is better.

My ceramic grill is 18.5" by 25".  I can start the wood and charcoal, get the temperature set around 200-225, and not have to check the temperature for 6-8 hours at a time with this bad boy.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:41:42 am »
I do the snake method on my 26" Weber and can smoke two boston butts in 10 hours and maintain 225 without touching it. If i wanted more capacity I would grab one of these. http://smoke-ez.com/. Someday I would love a WSM but until the cash frees up I like the versatility I get from my standard weber ketttle.
Jimmykx250

Offline BrewBama

Why buy a 22" WSM
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 03:32:42 pm »
I do the snake method on my 26" Weber and can smoke two boston butts in 10 hours and maintain 225 without touching it. If i wanted more capacity I would grab one of these. http://smoke-ez.com/. Someday I would love a WSM but until the cash frees up I like the versatility I get from my standard weber ketttle.

If you ever get the opportunity (if you haven't already), try wrapping your favorite meatloaf recipe in bacon and smoke it on a cedar plank. This is the only way we do meatloaf any more.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:12:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »

If you ever get the opportunity (if you haven't already), try wrapping your favorite meatloaf recipe in bacon and smoke it on a cedar plank. This is the only way we do meatloaf any more.

Holy crap does that look good! Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmykx250