Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bulk starter wort  (Read 2510 times)

Offline mmcnally

• 1st Kit
Bulk starter wort
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:22 pm »
Has anyone ever made bulk starter wort and then kept it in a keg refrigerated? I know people fill mason jars with starter wort but have been thinking about making a keg of starter wort and possibly treating with sodium metabisulfate, then just pull what i need, when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joakim Thulin

• 1st Kit
Re: Bulk starter wort
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »
I made a 5 gallon batch of starter wort last fall. Did a HochKurz step mash for what I believe a very fermentable wort. I have kept the starter wort frozen in one liter containers.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:31:45 pm »
Using standard home canning procedures, I put up 12 quarts of starter wort made from spraymalt. I won't go into the process here, because the last time I did I was hit with far too many posts about not following USDA guidelines and poisoning people.

That being said, I see no reason to make starter wort with any other method than a cup of light DME per quart (3lb DME in 3.5 gallons of water  to account for trub losses). You're making starter wort, not beer. The only purpose of a starter wort is to grow yeast.

Can it in mason jars, or freeze it. It's up to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline mmcnally

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »
Not quite what i was asking but thanks for the words.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:30 pm »
In that case, my answer is no. I think it's a bad idea

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
Microorganisms will consume wort at fridge temps. Although you're thinking about the barrels and barrels of beer stored and consumed out of cleaned kegs around the world every day, the difference is that beer is resistant to a lot of microorganisms due to its fermented state (alcohol, hop compounds, ph) that does not exist in wort. Unless you can sterilize the keg and everything from wort preparation into the keg, you'll eventually get some microorganisms eating the wort--probably not something you want in your beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mmcnally

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
Microorganisms will consume wort at fridge temps. Although you're thinking about the barrels and barrels of beer stored and consumed out of cleaned kegs around the world every day, the difference is that beer is resistant to a lot of microorganisms due to its fermented state (alcohol, hop compounds, ph) that does not exist in wort. Unless you can sterilize the keg and everything from wort preparation into the keg, you'll eventually get some microorganisms eating the wort--probably not something you want in your beer.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:17 am »
Using standard home canning procedures, I put up 12 quarts of starter wort made from spraymalt. I won't go into the process here, because the last time I did I was hit with far too many posts about not following USDA guidelines and poisoning people.

That being said, I see no reason to make starter wort with any other method than a cup of light DME per quart (3lb DME in 3.5 gallons of water  to account for trub losses). You're making starter wort, not beer. The only purpose of a starter wort is to grow yeast.

Can it in mason jars, or freeze it. It's up to you.

I pressure can wort at 15 psi for 15 mins, This boils the wort at 240-250* F. I have not had any problems using this method. https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/starter-made-easy-pressure-cooking-your-starter-wort-ahead-time .  Are you referring to water bath canning?  Maybe it doesn't get hot enough with water bath canning. I make an  all-grain mash and fill 4 quart Mason jars at a time then on to the canner. The starters are stored in a cool dark place and are ready to use without any further preparation.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:32:15 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln