Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fishy Hops?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Fishy Hops?
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »
A friend had me come to his house today to try a flavour that he found disagreeable in his most recent wet hopped IPA. He couldn't identify what the off flavour was, but when I tasted it, I tasted a bad fishy taste, kind of like seaweed. When I mentioned it, he agreed.  The hops were his home grown Cascades. Anyone else have fishy hops?
I should clarify, we then opened a vacuum sealed bag of said hops, and they had a soft, fishy aroma.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:47:10 pm by brewmasternpb »
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fishy Hops?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:34 pm »
Were the hops dried before vacuum sealed?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:24:35 pm »
I assume so. They felt like dried hops. I'll ask my buddy.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:27:09 am »
What kind of fertilizer did he use? Fish based?
I did an experiment over the summer trying to impart some different flavors to some hops that grow in my back yard. I used a bunch of black cherry juice in place of some of the water when I irrigated some sterlings and some key lime juice and some grapefruit juice on some goldings.
I get a hint of cherry aroma in the sterlings and some strong grapefruit aroma in the goldings.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »
I did an experiment over the summer trying to impart some different flavors to some hops that grow in my back yard. I used a bunch of black cherry juice in place of some of the water when I irrigated some sterlings and some key lime juice and some grapefruit juice on some goldings.
I get a hint of cherry aroma in the sterlings and some strong grapefruit aroma in the goldings.

Interesting. That's pretty crazy. Just from one round of watering?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:04:15 am »
The only time I've ever picked up a fishy note in a beer was at a small nanobrewery in their saison that was dry-hopped with Sorachi Ace. Their other beers were good, but I have no way to point the finger at any specific part of their process or ingredients to say "that's why it tasted fishy". All I know is that it was a dumper batch that should never have been served to the public.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:17 am »
Seaweed sounds like the hops might not have completely dried and have some mold or mildew growth.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:27:54 am »
+1;  Drying hops takes much longer than many would suspect.  One of the main reasons I gave up growing. 

A wet hopped beer with dried hops? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:39:30 am »

Confirmation bias?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:41 am »
Perhaps, but consider the affect of using juice on soil pH and also the sugar.  A little could actually be a benefit but I cannot imagine the plant surviving being fed juice only.  But it's like all good ideas, equal parts of genius and insanity.   ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:50:13 am »

The local hop grower I've bought from uses fish emulsion, I've never gotten any fishy taste though. He only uses it early in the spring. Is there some other kind of plant or tree nearby that could be influencing it? I know ginko can smell fairly terrible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 10:31:26 am »
The local hop grower I've bought from uses fish emulsion, I've never gotten any fishy taste though. He only uses it early in the spring. Is there some other kind of plant or tree nearby that could be influencing it? I know ginko can smell fairly terrible.

Same here.  Fish emulsion was the only fertilizer I used for the 14 years I grew hops and it never caused a fishy taste or aroma.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:19 am »
Perhaps, but consider the affect of using juice on soil pH and also the sugar.  A little could actually be a benefit but I cannot imagine the plant surviving being fed juice only.  But it's like all good ideas, equal parts of genius and insanity.   ;D

If I had to guess, which I will until someone finds evidence, I'd say little to none.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:33 am »
frozen hops that are heavy on the earthy aromas sometimes smell fishy to me until they warm up.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »

The amount used was several gallons spread  over several weeks.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women