Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: macro homebrew trends  (Read 1807 times)

Offline dongtac

• 1st Kit
macro homebrew trends
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:25:17 am »
The 5 Freeway used to be one of the primary drug-trafficking routes, with illegal substances being shuttled from Mexico thorough free air travel travel Coast or higher into Canada. Formerly it absolutely was really referred to as very meth freeway.

With publish 9-11 surveillance and elevated crackdowns, the road isn't as as active as in older times with regards to drug running, however, the 5 has altered into the most effective skate corridors. https://www.kiwibox.com/tuanhuylink/blog/entry/141694499/what-size-of-skateboard-should-i-get

Beginning inside the Tijuana border in Hillcrest, it runs through LA, Sacramento. Eugene, Medford, completely to Portland, Dallas and into Vancouver, BC. We slammed the pedal for your metal, bypassing SoCal, when we'd selected within the whole crew i had been inside the great condition of Or.

While using the parks that Grindline and Dreamland have built-within the Off-shore Northwest within the last few years, we understood the terrain might be endless. We'd 20 days to place lower as much tracks once we could at as much spots once we could hit. The 5 may not be congested with illegal drugs nowadays, but we'd little difficulty getting high. With this particular, I'm speaking about catching air.

Construct It And they're Prone To COME KEVIN KOWALSKI'S "KOWALSKILAND"

Some skaters create a little small ramp or simply a quarterpipe within their yard. There is a huge concrete park inside your backyard. How perhaps you have talk your mother and father into that specific?

My parents are really awesome. They've been supportive of my skating. They'd take me and my pals on skate journeys around So that you can skate new parks. I'd always spoken precisely awesome it may be to own something to skate across the property outdoors. Eventually my pals i started digging a dent or dimple or dimple and clearing brush where I chosen over eventually build something.

I don't think anybody really needed me seriously until Mark "Red" Scott was back there along with his excavator tearing up my parents' precious backyard. There is not returning.

It's bigger and 1,000-occasions a lot better than some cookie-cutter skateparks I have skated . Who built it to satisfy your needs?

I hired Dreamland Skateparks, several the very best park builders in the world. There is plenty of volunteers too. Many people got compensated in food or beer and labored their asses off for practically nothing. I connected the Dreamland crew track of whatever cost we thought arrived on the scene fair.

Beer is a superb wage nowadays. Whoever else parents think about this Red character?

He lives pretty close to i and me would see him at City skatepark constantly, and my parents had discovered him. That they like Mark a good deal and in addition they were really impressed along with his work and professionalism while using project.

Rumor has it you ongoing vacation across the skate trip and Red ongoing concentrating on you along with it came back to uncover things had altered within the original plan. True?

Initially, we'd an idea that makes it a good deal, due to my budget. Eventually they just requested me essentially wanted the bowl to acquire bigger. They were, like, "Once it's up you can't return and modify it, if you'd like it bigger it is now time to change this program.In .

I selected they were right used to do want something bigger. We have got ten . 5 ft tall rather of eight. Next we just got creative and built everything we're capable of using what we'd and produced some really awesome ideas.

For much better or worse?

The program change labored out for that better and i'm glad it's bigger--similar to they stated.

How much cash possibly you've centered on your backyard concrete?

Almost around in beer. Still to this day I am unsure the quantity money it set me back. I simply stored as much receipts after i could making sure everybody got compensated and connected. I certainly got the homie connect and i'm still getting difficulty believing it's even there which really happened.

Any crazy story using the building process?

Plenty of good occasions left the dwelling process! I many userful stuff here from individuals guys. It absolutely was challenging plus a real discomfort inside the ass sometimes trying to work while it's raining and dirt, but everything always arrived on the scene to workout well. We was lacking major setbacks or anything.

Seems exactly like you aren't departing your house 'til you are no under 35 years old.
My parents say I am able to stay as extended after i want or need.

We have also discussed me overtaking the place afterwards. We might add-round the number of more products to skate, however am also attempting to focus on some side projects soon, too. Possibly a tree house, hearth, wood-fire pizza oven or perhaps outdoors. Who knows what's next? I'm like generally there's something to accomplish inside my backyard that's a great way to acquire creative.

Everyone features a status for backyard place. Exactlty what can you call yours? https://www.kiwibox.com/tuanhuylink/blog/entry/141694445/best-complete-skateboards-to-buy-2017-how-to-choose-them

Eventually we as we were building it and looking out to think about a standing using this, my pal Mason Merlino just stated, "Kowalskiland," and in addition it stuck.

BAD COP GOOD POOL.

Charles A Vanek made the decision to obtain officer in Portland, OR, inside the 1940s But immediately after that, our boy Chuck made a decision he was inside the whole as being a cop factor but got arrested a few occasions--while still a officer. What exactly is a poor cop do as they will get started pressure?

Just what anybody would do--turn your house inside a raging party zone and start building super-sketchy DIY helicopters. Not only did Charles present an indoor pool built at his house outfitted acquiring a bar plus a grill, but he began constructing their unique self-manned gyrocopters and started buzzing round his neighbor's houses.

Although the facts are fuzzy inside the best, it's believed that our boy Chuck came out to obtain of a few shady figures and it also was possibly using his helicopters to supply illegal packages while using the skies, beyond the achieve all over the world-bound law. Charles imagined of eventually rejoining pressure and tried to convince the city their surveillance patrol might be greatly improved and fewer pricey along with his choppers.

No dice. A Few decades ago, Charles disappeared along with the property (like the indoor pool) was abandoned. Perfect for us, once we could enter in the abandoned house and also have your personal kind of pool party. Just good occasions, Charlie! We owe a brew. --Willis Kimbel

STEARNS STAYS BEHIND.

"No passport no entry" is what the government's website was saying. We made an appearance departing Dolan inside the hotel in Bellingham, WA, for any couple of days essentially we grew to become part of the border into Canada because they couldn't find his passport. Ordinary people agreed when anybody inside the van got denied within the checkpoint, then we'd all reverse.

The Canadian border officials are extremely famous for turning away Americans for petty crimes we all know the tales. They shook us lower and introduced up some dirt over the crew, including an accidents when camping that happened 23 formerly! Transporting out huge van sweep plus numerous phone calls obtaining a police HQs, i had been ongoing to maneuver forward through.

Later we learned you could to actually enter in the country without any passport. Sorry regarding this, Dolan! However I know chilling getting your personal business in hotels for any couple of days was pretty awesome, too.

We'd almost 72 hrs on the road to get our concrete fix, departing truck metal, empty beer cans and good occasions inside our wake.

We'd twenty-plus skateparks notched into our belts, street spots, backyard pools and, clearly, the right Burnside stop, yet we barely scratched the very best abundance of skate terrain the Northwest provides. Heading back south over the 5 in route home, we stored seeing signs for towns with parks that people was missing the needed time hitting.

Guess we're just going to need to fill the van and do that again when spring hits. I wasn't running anything too illegal, but we still did our best to avoid the fuzz--which across the skate trip is often difficult. Fortunately, really the only encounter we'd when using the law was barging an ex-cop's indoor pool.

However a skate trip without any little light trespassing isn't a trip I'd ever need to be on. Permission is excellent but jumping fences is what this factor started upon. When skating is outlawed, i will be relocating the five smuggling the stoke. Allow you to on the road. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/best-complete-skateboards-skates-zone/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:11:47 pm by dongtac »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: macro homebrew trends
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:13 am »
A lot of homebrewing is chasing the hazy IPA style. Homebrewers always follow the lead of commercial brewers because we like brewing what we like drinking and what we like drinking is often what's popular at the moment. Look at the popular homebrewing blogs and most of them are littered with hazy IPA recipes. It's one of the few styles where homebrewers can easily compete with commercial examples (not only because many of the hazy IPAs on the market right now are just awful).

Also seeing a continuing trend of new products and refining of existing products that are more automated, more technical and more compact. (E.g. grainfather, pico products) Not saying the days of bucket fermenters, igloo mash tuns and turkey fryers are over but plug and play equipment is definitely becoming better, cheaper and more accepted.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:56:42 am »
A lot of homebrewing is chasing the hazy IPA style. Homebrewers always follow the lead of commercial brewers because we like brewing what we like drinking and what we like drinking is often what's popular at the moment. Look at the popular homebrewing blogs and most of them are littered with hazy IPA recipes. It's one of the few styles where homebrewers can easily compete with commercial examples (not only because many of the hazy IPAs on the market right now are just awful).

+1 (especially the comment that these are awful)  ;D

Around my area there is cult following what I would call dessert beers.  "Peanut butter cup porter", etc.  I am not a fan but from a BJCP judge these beers really taste spot on!  In addition, soda pop beers like "Not Your Dad's Rootbeer" and other flavors is trending.   Once again, not a fan but taste spot on.  I gotta give them credit at least.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:58 am »
American IPA in general is STILL HUGE, and GROWING, and ALWAYS will be.  It's never going away.  That said...

Black IPA is out.

New England IPA is very in.

Consumption of hop pellets as an everyday snack is probably coming next.

Sours in general are steady trend, but...

Overly salted gose especially is very in.  Brewers should be scolded for using so much salt.

And...

Zima is as awesome as it ever was.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:27:41 am »
+1 (especially the comment that these are awful)  ;D

Around my area there is cult following what I would call dessert beers.  "Peanut butter cup porter", etc.  I am not a fan but from a BJCP judge these beers really taste spot on!  In addition, soda pop beers like "Not Your Dad's Rootbeer" and other flavors is trending.   Once again, not a fan but taste spot on.  I gotta give them credit at least.   

Pastry stouts are definitely an in style. I don't know if that's really a trend as much as it is a staple of homebrewing. Adding a pile of adjuncts to beers has been a part of homebrewing since what, the first edition of Joy of Homebrewing?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:07:30 am »

Consumption of hop pellets as an everyday snack is probably coming next.

Overly salted gose especially is very in.  Brewers should be scolded for using so much salt.

And...

Zima is as awesome as it ever was.

Absolutely HILARIOUS Dave!

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:53:10 am »
I need to give a talk on beer trends in the US in a week or so. One part will be a comparison between the current and previous BJCP standards, I got that covered. Any macro trends you want to share with a Belgian twerp?

http://time.com/4913121/sour-beer-drink/

here's an article in time about the upward trend of sour beers

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 12:33:04 pm »

Also seeing a continuing trend of new products and refining of existing products that are more automated, more technical and more compact. (E.g. grainfather, pico products) Not saying the days of bucket fermenters, igloo mash tuns and turkey fryers are over but plug and play equipment is definitely becoming better, cheaper and more accepted.

I think the other key with this is it's more BIAB focused. My club isn't huge, but there's a lot more talk about BIAB bags.

I kind of wonder with this stuff how much is a vocal minority. For example, people chasing yeasts. This is probably based on poor availability in my area, but I think you hear a lot about smaller yeast companies but I'm not sure a lot of Brewers are interested in more than their old favorites.

I think craft/small malting companies are on the rise. Denny has talked about a few, but I've heard of one in Central Illinois and another on North Dakota as well.

Citizen science is on the rise also, with experimental Brewing and brulosophy being most prominent.