Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anise seed vs Star Anise  (Read 2978 times)

Offline RCryder

• 1st Kit
Anise seed vs Star Anise
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:12 am »
Okay, I'm making a Belgian Pale Ale with Phoenix & Ardennes, and I want to spice it with anise. I'm wondering if y'all would recommend Star Anise or Anise seed for this. I've only ever worked with anise seed in baking, so I'm familiar with it, but everything I've read about spicing with anise only pertains to star anise.

Thoughts?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Anise seed vs Star Anise
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:18:35 am »
Very different flavors.  Pick the spice based on the flavor you expect to get from it.

Anise = licorice
Star Anise = mild licorice plus a lot of other flavors (cinnamon, all spice, etc)

Offline Mardoo

• 1st Kit
Re: Anise seed vs Star Anise
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:05:38 pm »
Okay, I'm making a Belgian Pale Ale with Phoenix & Ardennes, and I want to spice it with anise. I'm wondering if y'all would recommend Star Anise or Anise seed for this. I've only ever worked with anise seed in baking, so I'm familiar with it, but everything I've read about spicing with anise only pertains to star anise.

Thoughts?
If you want to use regular anise, I’d advise making an alcohol extract and using that. Anise has a very earthy background flavour that can come through if you use enough to get a solid anise flavour.  That background can work out OK in a dark beer,  but can be unpleasant in lighter ones.

I myself would go with star anise in your case.  It’s a cleaner, brighter flavour.